Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Nice Sunday read from Reiss again:
After 'horrible' spring, Dwayne Allen knew he had to be in better condition

Great to hear from Allen..

"Spring was horrible," he told ESPN.com last week. "It's one of those things where you have an offseason where you're training, you're doing well, you're thinking that you've trained and prepared enough, and then you come into OTAs and it's like, 'Oh my goodness, I have not trained enough.'
_

Nice perspective on BB from Campbell..

"I've had the pleasure of playing with guys that played underneath him before, and everyone always says the same thing: He's real tough when understanding what you're supposed to do, your responsibilities, understanding your opponent, but it's a fun place to play. Coming out here and experiencing this, you can tell the guys like playing for him and he has a program that breeds winning."

5. We know how strongly Tom Brady feels about Alex Guerrero, his business partner and friend. What we learned last weekend was that Pro Football Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson feels the same way. In his induction speech, Tomlinson thanked Guerrero, who sat in the crowd in the row behind Chargers owner Dean Spanos. Tomlinson had said that he played 11 years and never underwent one surgery, due in part to the team of therapists (led by Guerrero) that worked for him.

I did not realize Alex Guerrero influenced so many people. I could've sworn LaDainian Tomlinson missed most of the 2007 AFC championship game due to a knee injury.
It's not surgery, but in retrospect it was the biggest game of his career.

I did not realize Alex Guerrero influenced so many people. I could've sworn LaDainian Tomlinson missed most of the 2007 AFC championship game due to a knee injury.
I swear Guerrero has these people on some kind of CIA sponsored mind control project.

Was just gunna post this somewhere. I guess here is a good place.

One indication that Patriots top draft pick Derek Rivers (third round, 83rd overall) has made a favorable first impression on the club is that he has been given one of the front-row parking spots reserved for those who are offseason award winners. Rivers, a defensive end from Youngstown State, was widely viewed across the NFL as a prospect with top-end intangibles. In the preseason opener, he played 36 of 57 snaps and rotated at end after Deatrich Wise and Adam Butler, which was a first glimpse of his current standing on the depth chart topped by Trey Flowers (who didn't play).

LdT played just a few plays and went out. Meanwhile Rivers gutted it out with a torn ACL and I gained loads of respect for him that day for at least trying vs sitting on a bench with his helmet on.....

Reiss, "One roster-management area that I wonder Belichick might ultimately second-guess himself on is not starting second-year receiver Malcolm Mitchell on the physically unable to perform list in training camp. Mitchell didn't practice all spring as the club took a cautious approach, in part because of his history of knee troubles going back to college. That has continued into the start of training camp, with Mitchell once again being brought along slowly and only really taking part in individual-type drills to his point. Given that background, it's not a stretch to say Mitchell could have qualified for PUP status, which could have provided some potential early-season roster flexibility. It could have made it easier to initially keep another promising young receiver such as Devin Lucienor Austin Carr."

I agree with Reiss here. Hindsight.

LdT played just a few plays and went out. Meanwhile Rivers gutted it out with a torn ACL and I gained loads of respect for him that day for at least trying vs sitting on a bench with his helmet on.....

Concur. It showed that LdT may be a great athlete, but he will never be a leader. Rivers, on the other hand, showed what leadership is all about. Leadership by example, as the military puts it.

Years from now, Rivers will be remembered for that effort. LdTwill be remembered by that singular image, sitting on the bench with his helmet on.

Heck, they even made his commemorative figure in that famous image. You have the option to put the helmet on him or leave it on the bench.

pg2_mcfarland_lt_300.jpg

Concur. It showed that LdT may be a great athlete, but he will never be a leader. Rivers, on the other hand, showed what leadership is all about. Leadership by example, as the military puts it.
He may not have had a great pro career but Byron Leftwich shows some guts playing on a broken shin while in college at Marshall trying to rally his team and being carried downfield by his O-linemen..

Reiss, "One roster-management area that I wonder Belichick might ultimately second-guess himself on is not starting second-year receiver Malcolm Mitchell on the physically unable to perform list in training camp. Mitchell didn't practice all spring as the club took a cautious approach, in part because of his history of knee troubles going back to college. That has continued into the start of training camp, with Mitchell once again being brought along slowly and only really taking part in individual-type drills to his point. Given that background, it's not a stretch to say Mitchell could have qualified for PUP status, which could have provided some potential early-season roster flexibility. It could have made it easier to initially keep another promising young receiver such as Devin Lucienor Austin Carr."

Caught my eye as well. Beyond hindsight, I wonder what the injury is and whether the progression is not going as planned? Too little information yet, but at this rate he remains a possible IR candidate and spot for Lucien/Carr.

Hmm, if Mitchell is still out a couple of weeks into the season I may agree. But I hate the thought of keeping such a young and promising player from practicing with his team as much as possible.

I think BB is managing MM as he will be ready Week 1 thus there is no need to put him on the PUP list

The fact that he has knees of a grizzled veteran has me concerned the most as my gut tells me if he plays 5 years he'll be fortunate.

You take Allen's experience and combine it with Joseph Addai and Reggie Wayne, and it becomes quite clear that the Colts have a history of not putting in the work to become champions. It is good to see that Allen recognized his deficiency and worked to immediately correct it.

I know it encompasses more than one coaching regime, but when so many players from one organization have issues and get cut, or quit, when coming to the Pats, it speaks volumes.

Or in Bill Polian's case just get the rules emphasis changed rather than fix your own team.

Nice comments from Calais Campbell, a respected veteran, offering more support to the reasons that the Pats have been so dominant. You Omissioners and butthurt owners need to take heed!

Last edited:
Caught my eye as well. Beyond hindsight, I wonder what the injury is and whether the progression is not going as planned? Too little information yet, but at this rate he remains a possible IR candidate and spot for Lucien/Carr.

He looked good during the limited snaps he played during joint practices.

IIRC he juked a db out his shoes.

He looked good during the limited snaps he played during joint practices.

IIRC he juked a db out his shoes.
Good to hear, but still a bit concerning that he has been held out so much. Knees were a concern coming out of the draft.

Eh, he's a running back, keep playing on a knee injury and you WILL make it worse, guaranteed. While QB's do need fancy footwork, I wouldn't compare it to guys like LT or any other RB making a hard juke or any start/stop motions.

Remember Giants' TE Jake Ballard in the SB? Buckled his knee, came back, tried to play, finished tearing the ACL, career basically over after that play. He looked like he was starting a promising career that season.

Agreed, mad respect for Rivers but I won't take anything away from LT for sitting. Stil think he's a whiny little ***** but that's for other reasons.

Eh, he's a running back, keep playing on a knee injury and you WILL make it worse, guaranteed. While QB's do need fancy footwork, I wouldn't compare it to guys like LT or any other RB making a hard juke or any start/stop motions.

Remember Giants' TE Jake Ballard in the SB? Buckled his knee, came back, tried to play, finished tearing the ACL, career basically over after that play. He looked like he was starting a promising career that season.

Agreed, mad respect for Rivers but I won't take anything away from LT for sitting. Stil think he's a whiny little ***** but that's for other reasons.

Just re-watched the game and I agree completely. Not least, the Chargers had Michael Turner and Sproles as RBs 2 and 3 (!) My, but that team was stacked with talent.

Let me be first to say it:

Omigawd. Sky is falling. Belichick screwed up. Season is doomed. Fire him, now!

More to come in the next GDT.

/SARCASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case