PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Mel Mitchell likely out for season with biceps injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they've stated, the main thing they wanted to do this offseason, was get younger. Well, through what I think was a terrific draft, they've gotten younger.

As Belichick said yesterday, check back in 4 or 5 weeks to get a better idea about depth.

If the kids can't cut it quickly enough, then I have faith that they'll find some way to go. Either they'll mix and match, or they'll find some street free agents that no one ever heard of.

They'll find a way. Maybe this really IS a rebuilding year!

Given that the purpose of the NFL is entertainment it's a shame that the rules don't allow for a pseudo-PUP for guys who are injured in camp where they don't count on the roster or the cap and are eligible to return within say 3 weeks after the half season mark or then go on IR. The best product features the best players.

Felger's article is interesting, if not amusing(http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=151484). He basically talks about depth in terms of having experienced veterens (Ted Johnson, McGinest, Phifer, J.J. Stokes, Ward, Otis Smith, Pleasant). Since just about everybody in the media has talked about this I would not be surprised to find a previous article from Felger talking about the need to get younger (especially at LB). How do you get younger and have experienced vets as backups at the same time? He also talks about Chad Brown and Gardner like they are complete castoffs. I don't believe that Phifer was a highly sought after FA before signing with the Pats. Gardner may be a perfectly fine backup ILB. Give him a chance. Chad Brown is a legitimate experienced OLB, which Felger seems to completely ignore.

Using J.J. Stokes and Dedric Ward as examples of quality backups really is amusing.

Regarding depth in general I do have some concerns, but what team doesn't? I think our depth has improved on OL and DB. Some of the younger guys on the Pats are unproven. I think that is all a part of bringing in younger players to keep the team stocked for the future. I cannot understand why Felger laughs that off as a dismissive reply. It is a fact and a legitimate response.

I do have some concerns about depth at certain positions (LB, WR) if the Pats suffer too many injuries, but at other positions the Pats have improved depth (OL, DB, RB, TE). I don't see this as any different than other years, just that the perceived depth has moved from some positions to others.

Mel Mitchell Injured?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2540687

Four-year veteran Mel Mitchell, who was expected to bolster New England Patriots special teams units weakened in free agency this spring and to add depth to the safety position, will undergo surgery next week for a torn biceps tendon sustained during Thursday's practice.

The injury will almost certainly sideline Mitchell for the 2006 season. The Patriots are expected to place him on the injured reserve list.

Mitchell, 27, signed a two-year contract with the Patriots as an unrestricted free agent in early April after spending the previous four seasons with the New Orleans Saints. The addition of the former Western Kentucky player came after the Patriots lost several key special teams performers, primary among them linebacker Matt Chatham.

JR4 said:
A response that side steps the issue. Talk about the depth TODAY at
ILB, WR and even the Dline.
if they had to play today tell me who your starters who are your 2nd string
players. Write it out ... show me this wonderful depth you are speaking of.
AS of Today. ( if you use injured players put an '*' next to his name. )
If your considered the best FO in the league, I think the Pats know what they are doing. I know they dont always make the right moves but what your saying is...IF THE SEASON STARTED TODAY.

Well earth to JR4, the season starts in over a month! They dont have to play today or tommorow or the next day. Maybe you havent noticed but around the league players have been getting injured already, some serious, some minor. They happen to other teams besides the Pats.

I would love to have Branch back but the Pats already offered him a good deal and his gayGENT has mislead him very far. I dont know what the hell you want the Pats to do unless you feel Deion Branch is worth 7 mill + a year. And he most certainly isnt.

Brady can find unkown targets and its fine. It doesnt matter if he is passing the ball to John Stone, as long as Stone catches it, I'm happy. Same with Bam whoever makes the team. JR Redmond, Larry Centers, Dedric Ward. Just to name a few COMPLETELY unknown players who made plays for the Patriots in past years, Ward even a few TD's. I just hope we go 12-4 or something let alone win the SB, and see what JR4 has to say.

Now all I have to hope for is that Jon Stone is the new Dedric Ward!!! Catch a few unexpected TD's to catch the defense off guard.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:

Well earth to JR4, the season starts in over a month! T
I just hope we go 12-4 or something let alone win the SB, and see what JR4 has to say.

Now all I have to hope for is that Jon Stone is the new Dedric Ward!!! Catch a few unexpected TD's to catch the defense off guard.

And I thought the season started next week. :rolleyes:

I had expected and do expect PATs to go 13-3 or better with their schedule
if guys get healthy and PATs ILB situation turns out OK. :rocker:

That doesn't mean I am not concerned as of Today that PATs
might not have the key players healthy to make that run.
Again my concern is ILB and WR. Get some of those players back and
I'll be back to my optimistic self. :)

JR4 said:
And I thought the season started next week. :rolleyes:

I had expected and do expect PATs to go 13-3 or better with their schedule
if guys get healthy and PATs ILB situation turns out OK. :rocker:

That doesn't mean I am not concerned as of Today that PATs
might not have the key players healthy to make that run.
Again my concern is ILB and WR. Get some of those players back and
I'll be back to my optimistic self. :)

You're completely overreacting to insignificant camp injuries and PUPies who will be back before you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MalaysiaPatsFan said:
Felger's article is interesting, if not amusing....He basically talks about depth in terms of having experienced veterens (Ted Johnson, McGinest, Phifer, J.J. Stokes, Ward, Otis Smith, Pleasant). Since just about everybody in the media has talked about this I would not be surprised to find a previous article from Felger talking about the need to get younger (especially at LB). How do you get younger and have experienced vets as backups at the same time?
Felger talks out two sides of his mouth more and more...and that is why MANY do not pay much attention to him..Get younger..they are old..on one hand..and then..Where are the experienced backups..He just wants to be critical..and hear himself talk..Yes, they NEED to have younger players in the pipeline and they do!! And they do need backups and they WILL!! Give the team time..good points about Phifer and others...

pats1 said:
........ insignificant camp injuries and PUPies who will be back before you know it.

...... so you say :confused:

If there's one thing our front office understands, its cap management. How many teams have we seen in salery cap hell over the last 5 years? Redskins, Ravens, Titans, Colts.
This will not happen to us because BB/SP understand that fiscal responsibility in this day and age is as critical to the success of the franchise as being good talent evaluators.
Just ask Bill Polian about that one!

Kdo5 said:
Brady can find unkown targets and its fine. It doesnt matter if he is passing the ball to John Stone, as long as Stone catches it, I'm happy. Same with Bam whoever makes the team. JR Redmond, Larry Centers, Dedric Ward. Just to name a few COMPLETELY unknown players who made plays for the Patriots in past years, Ward even a few TD's. I just hope we go 12-4 or something let alone win the SB, and see what JR4 has to say.

One of the disappointments I've had thus far is a report that Tommy is ignoring his fringe receivers and tossing the rock to a very small group of receivers. I'd like to see him working with everyone just to develop some flexibility and depth for the shadow roster - and reduce the risk of wearing mental blinders into the games. Tommy had me concerned last season with his predictability on audibles, that improved as the season progressed, but I was concerned that McDaniels wasn't strong enough at OC to control Tommy. This was one report, but even if it was only one perception, it makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes