PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Believes Wilfork Will Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, multiple guys better than Vince in the draft from day one. Hehe, funny.

Tag him and trade him. There are several DTs in the draft who would be better on DAY ONE. Better and cheaper, I like that and I think Belichick does too!

Cheaper? Sure.

Better?...........ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND????

Last edited:
I'm optimistic a deal will get done. Think about it: When the Pats franchised Cassel last year, they did it right out of the gates, essentially saying "Who wants a QB? Anybody? Hurry,Hurry,Hurry!!!Get your starting calliber QB here!"
With Vince, I think as we speak, both sides are trying to iron out a contract. Kraft and Belichick aren't stupid. They know value when they see it and IMO as well as everyone else's, Vince is one of those "key cogs" that BB talks about building around. They realize his value and if they don't get a deal done before the franchise deadline, then placing a tag on Vince won't be deemed an "insult" because the Pats are negotiating in good faith. Worse comes to worse, we trade him. But I think something will get done before the season starts (hopefully in the next month or so).

I'm optimistic a deal will get done. Think about it: When the Pats franchised Cassel last year, they did it right out of the gates, essentially saying "Who wants a QB? Anybody? Hurry,Hurry,Hurry!!!Get your starting calliber QB here!"
With Vince, I think as we speak, both sides are trying to iron out a contract. Kraft and Belichick aren't stupid. They know value when they see it and IMO as well as everyone else's, Vince is one of those "key cogs" that BB talks about building around. They realize his value and if they don't get a deal done before the franchise deadline, then placing a tag on Vince won't be deemed an "insult" because the Pats are negotiating in good faith. Worse comes to worse, we trade him. But I think something will get done before the season starts (hopefully in the next month or so).

I'm sure 99% of this board would say that keeping Wilfork for dollars somewhere south of Haynesworth would be money well spent. All depends on contract/payout/guaranteed dollars.

Hey cool! Because we don't already have enough needs in the draft... let's just add another one! Why not?

SAS is completely delusional, and is under the continued impression that operating the Patriots in real life mirrors operating a Patriots franchise in Madden.

SAS is completely delusional, and is under the continued impression that operating the Patriots in real life mirrors operating a Patriots franchise in Madden.

I gathered as much when he said that there were multiple guys in the draft better than Wilfork. :rofl:

Not delusional at all, and not a "Madden" player.

Just don't think he's that good, certainly not 8M per year good. He does get blocked pretty effectively at times (ask Ray Rice).

It's a weakness of our scheme that we need greatly talented expensive players at ILB, NT, OLB etc....colts plug and play JAGS and do pretty well. Something to be said for that.

We need to tag this guy and DUMP him quick.

The fact remains that you claimed there are "multiple" players in the draft who could be drafted and would provide an immediate upgrade over Wilfork.

That's straight-up clinical. Beyond the bounds of reason.

Wilfork is a good player. We have plenty of holes on defense already. Creating another doesn't really bode well for us moving forward.

The fact remains that you claimed there are "multiple" players in the draft who could be drafted and would provide an immediate upgrade over Wilfork.

That's straight-up clinical. Beyond the bounds of reason.

Wilfork is a good player. We have plenty of holes on defense already. Creating another doesn't really bode well for us moving forward.

Yes, but we get a 1st round pick and free up 8M dollars or so by not paying Wilfork, so it's a tradeoff. If you can sign peppers for a 10M cap hit and get rid of wilfork for a 1st I think we're coming out ahead.

Have to sign Peppers for a low sb, one or two year deal...not sure he'd go for it.

=
Have to sign Peppers for a low sb, one or two year deal...not sure he'd go for it.

There is absolutely no chance of this happening. Peppers will get 4-5 years and $50M. He's going to want and will receive a monster deal from someone. As it is, I'm not sure why you'd want him to sign for a "low sb" (assuming you mean signing bonus).

No. Just asking you when from a timing perspective you move Vince. IMO, if a deal is not hatched, you move him around/during the draft.

You can front load a deal, just can't be more than 50% of the year two payout without it being pro-rated over the term of the contract.

But since there's no salary cap this year, that fact doesn't technically matter. . . . unless 2011 is capped and they decide that signing bonuses will be prorated exactly as before (so, for example, if team X gave player Y a four-year contract that was $20M in 2010 and $4M in 2011, all of a sudden they'd find that their cap hit in 2011 was $4M higher [($20M - $4M)/4]).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference