PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redskins CB Bashaud Breeland Offseason FA Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uptown

Standin' Pat
Reaction score
Merely hypothetical..

Not sure how much he’s seeking or what his market may be, but what do you guys think (skill, cost.. etc) of a Gilmore-Breeland duo (assuming Butler walks of course)?

Last edited:
Don't think they'd have the money after wildly overpaying for Gilmore.

Butler is a great tackler but gets burned too much for a top dollar or even a medium dollar contract.

Pats already have a ton of cap invested in McCourty and Gilmore. They have great safeties and J Jones and Rowe are solid. I would prefer to see the Pats get young guys through the draft, UFAs and/or low cost FAs to compete in camp rather than signing an expensive CB FA.

Don't think they'd have the money after wildly overpaying for Gilmore.

Butler is a great tackler but gets burned too much for a top dollar or even a medium dollar contract.

A medium dollar contract? I dont believe we resign him because of what Gilmore’s making but I definitely feel he’s worthy of a contract similar to Logan Ryan’s in Tennessee.

I don't watch many Redskins games, but this guy is getting beat like he stole something every time. Lol

Pats already have a ton of cap invested in McCourty and Gilmore. They have great safeties and J Jones and Rowe are solid. I would prefer to see the Pats get young guys through the draft, UFAs and/or low cost FAs to compete in camp rather than signing an expensive CB FA.
The team will be fine at CB in 2018 with Gilmore, Rowe, J Jones, Bademosi and the winner of the C Jones/UDFA camp battle.

I see Belichick using a high draft pick on a safety. It's going to be time for Chung and McCourty to pass the torch soon.

The team will be fine at CB in 2018 with Gilmore, Rowe, J Jones, Bademosi and the winner of the C Jones/UDFA camp battle.

I see Belichick using a high draft pick on a safety. It's going to be time for Chung and McCourty to pass the torch soon.
With our more immediate needs at DE, LB and possibly LT, it might be worth waiting a year on a high pick at safety, unless one the Pats really covet drops this year. Harmon is very good. Sometimes you can strike gold with later picks UFAs.

Still not sold on Butler being a number 1 corner....
That makes very little sense considering Butler was our number 1 corner for two years, and we won one Super Bowl and almost made another in those two years.

He was one of our best defensive players last year and that defense was statistically the best scoring in the league.

He's a proven number 1 corner. Whether he's a proven Top 10 corner is a different discussion.

Still not sold on Butler being a number 1 corner....

I'm still not sure what a "number 1 corner" actually is - especially in the Pats' defense. However, if it means a guy who does "number 1" on fan expectations, it seems to me that Gilmore, Butler and Rowe have been taking turns at that.

Not sure how much he’s seeking or what his market may be, but what do you guys think (skill, cost.. etc) of a Gilmore-Breeland duo (assuming Butler walks of course)?

Picking this guy out of the crowd seems rather random. Are you related to his agent, by chance?

With our more immediate needs at DE, LB and possibly LT, it might be worth waiting a year on a high pick at safety, unless one the Pats really covet drops this year. Harmon is very good. Sometimes you can strike gold with later picks UFAs.

IDK about the Pats needing to take a DE with a high pick necessarily. Once they get everybody back from IR, they actually have qute a few guys who can play an Edge role, most of them fairly young. I might make more sense to invest in a veteran FA who might have a couple of decent seasons left in him.

The issues with Tackles (and OL, generally) coming out of college these days - their often complete lack of familiarity with NFL blocking requirements and technique - perhaps makes it even more risky to spend high for one.

It seems to me that where the Pats are thinnest on defense, personnel-wise, is with inside LB and in-the-box safety - roles that overlap to a large extent. It may come down to best-player-available at one positon or the other when the Pats pick.

IOW, when the Pats are up with the SFO pick from the JimmyG trade (probably ~#40 now), if there's a SS-type who's significantly better than all the others left on the board, but the LBs available are not significantly better than those they are likely to be able to snag at #64 or #96, they may go with the SS.

Chi Bears Fuller is another guy that should be on the move after the season.

He'll probably be fairly expensive, but it seems to me that the Bears have enough cap space for 2018 to be able to keep him.

Who knows what will be our cap space situation but maybe brady can help us out with another paycut. Some restructuring and cutting some players.

He'll probably be fairly expensive, but it seems to me that the Bears have enough cap space for 2018 to be able to keep him.

I imagine they'll franchise him but who knows. Itll be a very different team. That team is another that will be cutting to create $.

I suspect they won't want to commit big $ at first and will want to see him have another good year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call