PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Recent history of 3rd overall being traded

that 2021 or the 2022 trade haul looks mighty tasty to me... anything that adds a second first round pick to the mix has to be strongly considered... only because I am not entirely sold on any of the QBs in this draft... running with zappe next year should net us another top 5 pick...

Zappe and Brissett, plus two OT's, a WR, a TE, and a 3rd down back from the draft. Then sign a FA WR, and the key returnees on the defense.

The 2018 Colts-Jets trade is the one I have been basing my mock trades off. The Giants this year have very similar draft picks to the Jets (6, 39 and 47 compared to 6, 37 and 49). That precedent gives you a really good starting point.

Trading down to 6 still puts us in Joe Alt range and gives us the ammo to be super aggressive trading back up. We could walk out of the first round with bookend OT’s ( Alt + Fuaga/Latham/Mims/Guyton) plus a stud WR (Thomas Jr/Franklin/Coleman).

With Van Pelt as the OC I could see us really trying to solidify the OL. I don’t have much faith in the QB’s outside of Maye and Williams so if they are off the board why not try and solidify the rest of the team.
That is a conservative return. Look at the returns for QB trade ups after 2018.

At some point sanity will need to prevail, but teams are going all in in trading up for QBs.

Look what Carolina gave up to get Bryce Young. The Bears have the #1 overall pick this year, and it isn’t even their own pick.

Bryce Young wasn’t worth anywhere near that return.

Last edited:
I’m not trading the 3rd pick unless it involves a future 1st rounder, I’m also not dropping out of the top 5.

Yes, trade back, get a tackle and JJ. Its not hard.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back