PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Receivers: September 2006 to 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take a poll, but yest I do understand that some here believe that Gaffney is a starters. Others of us though that he was #4-#6.

Personally, I have no doubt that our top three wide receivers are Moss, Stallworth and Welker.

Our top receiver walked on his contract leaving us to scramble.

Projected by who? I think he starts with Stallworth or Moss who are similar receivers.

BB will have to come up with something to nullify Thomas, Coles, Washington, Cotchery etc. No easy task in itself. I assume the Pats will operate as usual - try to take away the run as a priority? The Jets might target the backfield with Harrison out and Samuels light on practice time. They might also try to run it to Jarvis' side with Seymour out. Test out how run defense holds up that side with Rosey and Green(possibly AD also).
The Jest strength is the short passing attack - Coles, Cotchery, and McCariens gives them a very potent WR corps - that relies on big strike and YAC. They will also try to isolate Leon Washington on a LB - Thomas is our best and he will be hard pressed in that case. Look at how the Jest used Washington to burn Philly on their first play from scrimmage with a Penny pump fake to put the kid wide open outside and allow him to outrun the defense to the endzone.

The Jest will want to pick on Samuels, Gay, and Sanders...and they will also want to test Wilson's health and leadership without Rodney.

The Jest don't have the horses to run at Jarvis Green. Their second year LT is still developing as a run blocker and Jarvis will be fine against him. The rookie LG is reportedly a good run blocker, but he'll be expected to work against Vince and an ILB just as often as Green and will have his hands full early and often. The Jest run blocking strength will be working against the Pats run stuffing strength - and Ty won that battle last season.

I also believe Wilfork will be chained lightening this season, he's been following the exact same pattern Warren has demonstrated and after losing all the weight in the off-season looks to explode the way Ty did last season - this game will get thugly fast if he's what I expect. Picture the Pats D shifting gears radically and morphing into the Chargers 3-4 style with penetrating D-linemen and blitzing linebackers. Jamal Williams anchors SD's line, but Vince is quicker, more explosive and could turn SD's 2-man penetrating front into NE's 3-man cyclone. Maybe Mangini has game planned for that...maybe.

I expect the Jest will be using trickery early to try and get the D off-balance. One trick play, even if blown up, will force the D to be watching and may create more room - Washington, Coles, and Cotchery don't need much of a gap to hurt you. The bottom line is the same in this game as always, Team Defense, play your assignments, communicate, bend but don't break because the Jest have the younger, less experienced O-line and sooner or later they'll make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back