PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reason why BB so bad at drafting WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR has always been a weak point for him. Randy Moss got him the change his entire offensive approach. He needs someone like him to come and be a WR coach and evaluator

More and more I'm starting to think that the system we run doesn't fit the market of WRs that is coming out of college.

It's hard to argue with the results in terms of wins but our woeful inability to find and develop rookie WRs has to tie into how complex our system is. On paper I think it makes a ton of sense but after a certain point of whiffing on WRs with picks in the top 3 rounds maybe it's time to start considering a system that works better with what's available.

At some point I've got to wonder if our system requires passing on guys like Metcalf and Deebo Samuel maybe there's something fundamentally wrong in terms of fit for today's college receiver.

"When McDaniels and Caserio were tasked [in 2003] with scouting New England's opposing receivers and corners, they took it further, creating a formula for size, speed, ball skills, scheme and assignments. Then they developed a ranking system based on the Patriots' personnel and playbook. Impressed, Belichick ditched his manual for scouting receivers and corners, replacing it with what he'd learned."

McDaniels ruined our draft system

More and more I'm starting to think that the system we run doesn't fit the market of WRs that is coming out of college.

It's hard to argue with the results in terms of wins but our woeful inability to find and develop rookie WRs has to tie into how complex our system is. On paper I think it makes a ton of sense but after a certain point of whiffing on WRs with picks in the top 3 rounds maybe it's time to start considering a system that works better with what's available.

At some point I've got to wonder if our system requires passing on guys like Metcalf and Deebo Samuel maybe there's something fundamentally wrong in terms of fit for today's college receiver.

Same system got them to 9 Super Bowls in twenty years. But that's with Brady at QB so I don't know.

Anyway I expected growing pains from the next QB so I'm not giving up on BB, Cam or Stidham especially during a weird ass Covid season.

There have been seven WR's who were SB MVP's.

BB drafted two of them.

Neither drafted and developed by the current OC. First was with Weiss. Next one during O'Brien's tenure. So yes the system works when the current OC isn't messing up the draft room. We got by in 07 with trades but 05-06 was terrible and same 2012-now a total desert in terms of developing any WRs since O'Brien left and the current OC came back.

Last edited:
Because we don't select WRs in the draft. We select half as many as other teams.

Pick a team, and I'll do the comparison. Off the top of my head, the Bears (not exactly an offensive juggernaut): 23 WRs drafted during the Belichick era. The Patriots? 9.

We just don't expend resources drafting WRs.

Of those 9 we've chosen, only 4 showed ability to play (two were top WRs in the league, one was a good #2, and one had a career ending injury [Edelman, Branch, Givens, Mitchell]).

Then you look at Bears:

Good picks: Marty Booker, Alshon Jeffrey

Middling picks, backups: Justin Gage, Bobby Wade, Bernard Berrian

Young players, the book is not yet written on them: Anthony Miller, Darnell Mooney

Wasted Picks: Sulecio Sanford, D'Wayne Bates, Frank Murphy, Desmond White, David Terrell, John Capel, Jamin Elliott, Aerise Currie, Mark Bradley, Marcus Monk, Earl Bennett, Derek Kinder, John Knox, Joaquin Iglesias, Marquess Wilson, Kevin White, Dan Braverman, Javon Wims, Riley Ridley

23 picks: 2 receivers who are top WRs in the league, 3 backup or #2 types, 19 wasted picks. 2 guys who are young.

If Belichick had spent as many picks as the Bears have, I suspect he would have drafted at least 4 more solid WRs, if not more.

Because we don't select WRs in the draft. We select half as many as other teams.

Pick a team, and I'll do the comparison. Off the top of my head, the Bears (not exactly an offensive juggernaut): 23 WRs drafted during the Belichick era. The Patriots? 9.

Of those 9 we've chosen, only 4 showed ability to play (two were top WRs in the league, one was a good #2, and one had a career ending injury [Edelman, Branch, Givens, Mitchell]).

Then you look at Bears:

Young players, the book is not yet written on them: Anthony Miller, Darnell Mooney

Wasted Picks: Sulecio Sanford, D'Wayne Bates, Frank Murphy, Desmond White, David Terrell, John Capel, Jamin Elliott, Aerise Currie, Mark Bradley, Marcus Monk, Earl Bennett, Derek Kinder, John Knox, Joaquin Iglesias, Marquess Wilson, Kevin White, Dan Braverman, Javon Wims, Riley Ridley

23 picks: 2 receivers who are top WRs in the league, 3 backup or #2 types, 19 wasted picks. 2 guys who are young.

If Belichick had spent as many picks as the Bears have, I suspect he would have drafted at least 4 more solid WRs, if not more.

Why are you comparing us to the Bears...

Why are you comparing us to the Bears...

I explained why. I said pick any team off the top of your head for a comparison. So I picked the Bears. Here, I'll do it again: Raiders

25 draft picks expended, almost 3x as many as the Patriots.

They've only hit on 2 guys, Amari Cooper (who they traded away) & Jerry Porter who was a middling guy, 2nd receiver. They also 4 WRs from the last year or so who are very young (Henry Ruggs, Edwards, Bowden).

The correct question should be, why does BB draft so few wide receivers. Every time this is brought up people post comparisons of other teams, usually the Steelers, but the bears work too obviously. The other teams always have spent much greater draft capital on the wide receiver position then the Patriots have. Every draft pick is a crap shoot, it always has seemed to me that the WR position is more of a crap shoot then any other position. I guess BB just has always felt that the WR position isn't a good place to invest draft capital and he would rather spend it on other positions.

I know this has been brought up many times but it has a lot more to do with us whiffing on the prospect than the system.

We're not the only team to run the EP or variations of it. The Steelers and Chargers have had pretty decent success. Panthers as well. Also there are more than a few teams who run it in college as well. So prospects are familiar with it.

It's easy to point at the system but we've had no luck with WR or just suck at that position. I wish we would take a few more shots. If Harry is a bust it would come a lot easier if we had got Deebo, Terry M, Brown or w/e in the next round.

I explained why. I said pick any team off the top of your head for a comparison. So I picked the Bears. Here, I'll do it again: Raiders

25 draft picks expended, almost 3x as many as the Patriots.

They've only hit on 2 guys, Amari Cooper (who they traded away) & Jerry Porter who was a middling guy, 2nd receiver. They also 4 WRs from the last year or so who are very young (Henry Ruggs, Edwards, Bowden).

I would say check out the Steelers but that was already talked about and clearly established that apples for apples the Steelers draft better within the same range of picks. Even adjusting for difference in pick volume

It's very clear that the reason why our WRs suck is because our offense is too complicated. Sanu recently came out and said that he understood the Atlanta playbook like the back of his hand, but when it came to NE's playbook he was lost. It's no secret that NE is the place where WRs come to die...at this point, I am ready to overhaul the EP offense into something in which our WRs and TEs can develop.

Last edited:
I would say check out the Steelers but that was already talked about and clearly established that apples for apples the Steelers draft better within the same range of picks. Even adjusting for difference in pick volume

18 picks for the Steelers over the same period. They've had a lot of busts. They've had 8 wins, 10 busts. And outside of Antonio Brown (the only superstar on the Steelers and Patriots over this period), their wins (of the 8 WRs) have been no better than Edelman or Deion Branch. Not to mention the fact that the Steelers are widely considered the best WR drafters in the entire NFL.

I actually went through this team by team and saw that the Patriots are not an outlier. They just don't draft receivers.

One of the few that is like the Patriots is the Chargers. They don't draft them either.

When it comes to nfl offenses, ours is a 10,000 piece puzzle.

other offenses, like the charges and Steelers for example are two piece puzzle offenses.

option route running requires the receiver and qb to be on the same page and reading the defense the same. That is a very difficult thing to ask of a new qb and young receivers without a proper offseason or training camp.

Then you look at Bears:

The Steelers spend a top 100 pick nearly every year on WR. It’s obscene. Since 2007 they have drafted 13 WR’s in the first three rounds of the draft.

My Falcons have drafted just 5 WR’s in the Ryan era and all but one are very, very good

18 picks for the Steelers over the same period. They've had a lot of busts. They've had 8 wins, 10 busts. And outside of Antonio Brown (the only superstar on the Steelers and Patriots over this period), their wins (of the 8 WRs) have been no better than Edelman or Deion Branch. Not to mention the fact that the Steelers are widely considered the best WR drafters in the entire NFL.

I actually went through this team by team and saw that the Patriots are not an outlier. They just don't draft receivers.

One of the few that is like the Patriots is the Chargers. They don't draft them either.

Ok. Well I trust your football opinion and judgement. Thanks for checking. The thing is we are counting Pats receivers from 01-04 and 09-12. Take these out and the WR drafts specifically under McDaniels then is what, 0/5 from 05-08 and 2012-now.... ?

That might be the first time I've ever been on the Tiktok webpage. It was a wall of half-naked women and one close-up thumbnail of someone stretching open a kangaroo's vagina. How many billions did Microsoft want to pay for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes