PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-tooling?Re-building Year 2

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To be clear, Belichick does not lose games to get a better draft choice in the next year. It's just not in his DNA. That being said we all knew that it would take a while after Brady left. No one expected a SB contender in the year after Brady left. Is a 3-4 year plan post Brady reasonable. I think so.

YEAR 1
Kraft and Belichick knew that it would be a tough year for the NFL back in March when it was clear that COVID was a huge threat. Also it is just possible that they thought that Brady would re-sign, although the franchising of Thuney belies that idea.

All the signs were there. No quarterback was signed until absolutely necessary. Belichick decided to play without a NT. He didn't add a WR before the trade deadline. Yes, Belichick wanted to be competitive, and we were. A couple of more wins and we might have been in the playoffs. Lots happened but that's not the issue.

Belichick set up the team to be in the top 5 teams in 2021 cap room in a year when the cap was going down.

The attitude toward the QB position was, and is, a mystery. If Belichick was starting a 3-4 year climb, why didn't we add a young quarterback last year? Could he have thought that he would get our next top 10 QB from free agency this year? Was he planning to draft a youngster this year, and next, if necessary? It seemed that the plan should have started with SOME step in Year One.

YEAR 2
We are well placed with lots of cap money to help fill our needs. But I certainly expect Belichick to be Belichick. He will likely pay more than $10 AAV for at most 2 players. Some will disagree with almost every choice. Some will agree with almost every choice. That's just the way it is. The reality is that some posters believe that they can judge free agent value better than Belichick. Of course, all disagree with at least some choices.

For me, I will be very interested to see what choices Belichick makes in the next 10 days. There will be a lot of new faces, or not. I'm not at all worried about how well Belichick will use the cap money and the rules to build a team. I will look at where we are in 10 days, and try to assess where we are, as we all will.

I have only one major CONCERN, the same as all of us. What quarterback transactions will Belichick make between now and the first game of the season.

YEAR 3 (it could take until Year 4 because of the slowness of action regarding the QB position)
Bill should have us in business as usual mode again, presuming that we have a quarterback. We should be competitive with teams competing for the AFC title.

\

If we're going off BB's other rebuilds here - first one started in 2000, by 2003 he had built a championship roster. Yeah 2001 won a title but that's not a roster you would typically enter a season MOST of the time without wanting a few upgrades to truly contend. The next 'rebuild' started in 2009 as 2008 with a healthy Brady would have likely been that team's last legit run at a title. Took BB till 2013 /2014 to build a complete roster. Again 2011 they almost did it just based off the brilliance of BB/ Brady but it was clearly a deeply flawed team. The 2013 team I thought could have been special, they were just decimated with injuries that year plus the unexpected AH situation, probably the worst year injury wise in the BB era (Wilfork, Gronk, Mayo, and then Talib in the AFCC - arguably the 4 most important guys not named Brady) - and there were 2 juggernauts in the way with Denver and Seattle.

Agreed that we're probably a year or two away from truly considering contending for a title. Of course this is also contingent on being able to land the right QB. That timeline I could live with. KC, Buffalo, and Tampa seem all in for this year and, IMO, are all a step up from the rest of the league. For an AFC team its a very treacherous road because even the 1st round game would be a dogfight given the depth of the AFC before likely having to go through the 3 above teams. It appears at the least KC should take a step back in 2022 once the Mahomes contract starts to escalate. I'm not sure how Buffalo / Tampa situation will be, but given the standard windows in the NFL they should each experience a downward movement shortly after.

Bill has to draft better flat out. They are devoid of talent. It's fine to go bargain shopping in FA, but you have to hit big time on some draft picks.

Hard to think the ceiling on a successful rebuild is anything more than 10-11 wins unless we truly land a franchise QB. Even then we might get 1-2 real shots as a contender before rebuilding again. That’s a realistic set of expectations post-Brady.

I do not think we need a franchise qb to win.

the formula that bb went with early in Brady’s career was:

1.) monster defense. Able to take best offensive weapons away from opponents. Decent against both the pass and the run. Creates turnovers, and limit penalties.

2.) strong running game. Safe passing game. (Aka take what the defense gives you, if nothing is there. Throw the ball away or check it down and punt.) limit turnovers and penalties.

3.) strong special teams that make the opponent drive the long field and give you a shorter field to drive.

he got away from number 1 and 2 with his past five or six drafts and why is a mystery?

2.) strong running game. Safe passing game. (Aka take what the defense gives you, if nothing is there. Throw the ball away or check it down and punt.) limit turnovers and penalties.
Safe passing game" is an excellent way to put it.. with the 2 TE's + the other WR's they signed all they need now is a reliable QB who can pass the ball.. I think they will shy away from the big QB names, and use draft capital to move on down and get either Trey Lance of Mac Jones, Jones most likely.

David Andrews needs to be resigned..

1.) monster defense. Able to take best offensive weapons away from opponents. Decent against both the pass and the run. Creates turnovers, and limit penalties.

3.) strong special teams that make the opponent drive the long field and give you a shorter field to drive.

he got away from number 1 and 2 with his past five or six drafts and why is a mystery?
I think Belichick has decided to do pretty much this. He still wants the franchise QB but he isn’t going to wait for it, he’s going to build every unit up to a high level and plug the QB in when he finds it.

Safe passing game" is an excellent way to put it.. with the 2 TE's + the other WR's they signed all they need now is a reliable QB who can pass the ball.. I think they will shy away from the big QB names, and use draft capital to move on down and get either Trey Lance of Mac Jones, Jones most likely.

David Andrews needs to be resigned..

you got your wish, Andrews is back in the fold.

how many teams ahead of us in the draft, will take a qb?

jacksonville for sure.
Jets - maybe, maybe not.
atlanta - maybe, maybe not.
carolina - better than 50 percent chance.
San Fran - maybe, maybe not.

could we get to 15 and there are 2or 3 of the top five qb’s on the board?

This should be the template. Don't bet the farm to move up on some unproven rookie QB. See what the draft gives. Go defense with our first pick. Maybe Jimmy becomes available if SF drafts a QB.

This should be the template. Don't bet the farm to move up on some unproven rookie QB. See what the draft gives. Go defense with our first pick. Maybe Jimmy becomes available if SF drafts a QB.

If parsons falls to 15, bb needs to set a new speed record for getting that pick in.

parsons is sideline to sideline and has instincts similar to bruschi.

We can’t win without a better qb than we have. It is far and away the biggest weakness on the team and it’s at the most critical position. We can’t throw away a season hoping someone under contract might come free. This team is being built to win not be held back by having the worst qb in the nfl. And it’s being built to be rookie an friendly.

If parsons falls to 15, bb needs to set a new speed record for getting that pick in.

parsons is sideline to sideline and has instincts similar to bruschi.
I thought instincts is an issue with parsons where he can improve tbh. Not his Best trait imo

We don’t need a franchise QB ....but in the same breath ...We DON’T Need Cam Newton!!!! He is awful...IF BB brings him back and sticks with him again....rebuild year once again

We don’t need a franchise QB ....but in the same breath ...We DON’T Need Cam Newton!!!! He is awful...IF BB brings him back and sticks with him again....rebuild year once again

unfortunately, it looks like he is back and right now, no real competition for the starting job!

hello 5 and 12. Newton is beyond horrible!

unfortunately, it looks like he is back and right now, no real competition for the starting job!

hello 5 and 12. Newton is beyond horrible!
There is plenty of time to improve the largest most glaring weakness on the team.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back