PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens owner admits to considering non-football factors with Kaepernick

This.

Seriously, for a country that supposedly is proud of its history of free speech its extremely ridiculous how his kneeling and comments made him a bigger persona non grata than human dirtbags like Greg Hardy, Richie Incognito or Terrell Suggs. Seriously, **** that.

Like how the NFL fired Hank Williams Jr. for supposedly "racist" comments?

NFL is not America. It's a corporation. Heck, according to the great jurists from NY's 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, the NFL isn't even required to follow basic due process principles when arbitrating grievances.

God.

I never wrote that what Kaep did falls under free speech or that he should skate without consequences. The only reason I mentioned the term "free speech" is to emphasize how liberty and freedom are two things that are inherent in the American heritage/culture. Of course everyone is free to give him as much blowback for it as everyone wants, I don't care. What I do care about is the hypocrisy that him disagreeing on a political matter warrants this kind of blowback more than actual violence against children, women or anybody really.

Exactly.

The point isn't that Kaepernick can't find a job. If it were the Titans or some team that was trying to get input from fans about signing him, that wouldn't be as big a deal.

The point is that of all teams hand-wringing and asking for prayer, it's the Baltimore Ravens, who employ wife-beaters and murderers. Let's stay focused here people and not lose sight of the fact that the real issue is the Raven organization are scumbags, hypocrites, and a moral dumpster fire, and their fans can all go **** themselves.

God.

I never wrote that what Kaep did falls under free speech or that he should skate without consequences. The only reason I mentioned the term "free speech" is to emphasize how liberty and freedom are two things that are inherent in the American heritage/culture. Of course everyone is free to give him as much blowback for it as everyone wants, I don't care. What I do care about is the hypocrisy that him disagreeing on a political matter warrants this kind of blowback more than actual violence against children, women or anybody really.

Blowback from who? The mainstream media and moron sports writers? You are shouting at the rain here. Think logically about this.

Again, the situations are not congruent and do not warrant your concern that society is being hypocritical.

If you ask 1000 level headed people what they think of Hardy and Suggs they will say they deserve to be in jail.

If you ask the same 100 level headed people what they think of what Kap did they may say he is an un-american idiot and a moron but he is practicing his right for free speech .

Being hypocritical would be if Brady didn't stand up for TNA and people hearalded his concern for minorities.

God.

You're now assuming that the people you quoted don't give blowback to those that commit violence against women and children? Because one party can disagree with what Kaep is doing doesn't mean that they don't also disagree with those that commit violence. The two issues don't run hand in hand.

? He's not getting locked up or shot in a back alley some where by the government, he's getting nonviolent consequences from other citizens. The owner has free speech and choice too, doesn't like what Kap is saying and doing, doesn't want him around. Of course that's also hypocrisy on the owner's part as well, but who among us is completely consistent?
Actually in this case, Stevie Biscuits is saying he didn't like the refusal to stand but thought the kneeling was acceptable. The SF owner is no longer in the loop. From what Biscuits has said it seems it's not about Kap, it's all fear of blowback from either the Ratbird fans and/or the media at large.

A little off topic on this subject but still in the matter, that raises a discussion, how good is Flacco looking down the road?

I think the big problem here is the not so distant possibility of Kap outplay FlukeO and then create a QB controversy and the financial consequences of having to make a tough call.

They can get a franchise QB for peanuts and get rid of a guy that has his merits but is nothing special. Under the right system and with his head focused (big if) Kap can be a good QB in this league, and probably deliver more than Flacco.

Personally, I felt the whole backlash against him for taking a knee was overblown.

That said, he is still continuing with the rhetoric. He is still constantly insulting police officers, stereotyping them by their worst examples, calling them racists, pigs, murderers, and slave catchers. On 4th of July, he tweeted out that celebrating Independence day is akin to celebrating slavery. He reacted to Vick's haircut comment, which in context meant no ill will, by tweeting out the definition of Stockholm syndrome.

He is his own worst enemy.

Personally, I felt the whole backlash against him for taking a knee was overblown.

That said, he is still continuing with the rhetoric. He is still constantly insulting police officers, stereotyping them by their worst examples, calling them racists, pigs, murderers, and slave catchers. On 4th of July, he tweeted out that celebrating Independence day is akin to celebrating slavery. He reacted to Vick's haircut comment, which in context meant no ill will, by tweeting out the definition of Stockholm syndrome.

And not anywhere near talented enough for teams to justify the media firestorm that will follow him. That's why he's still out of a job.

I felt the knee was disrespectful and his inability to explain why he was choosing that means confirmed it to me.
More importantly I don't feel the need to call attention to yourself fits the team mentality. While I realize many players call attention to themselves at least it is attention about successfully doing your job and helping your team.

It all boils down to this. You can protest anyway you want, but just because you have the right to protest, that does not take away my right to object to the way you protested and for me to hold that protest against you.
I really can't see why any organization would want to bear the burden of yet another year of his protests.

Yeah I was all good with the knee thing, provocative as it was, but the later stuff is over the top. There are a lot of good cops out there he is insulting them with his crap. This claim that policing started as slave chasing in the US is BS, and dangerously polarizing. I don't know who has his ear, but for goodness' sake it's getting surreal at this point. I'm fine with Black Lives Matter, and the All Lives Matter numbnuts are lame, but if BLM transforms into an unalloyed anti-Police movement then I couldn't support it. There lies the way of madness.

If he wants to bend the knee over what he feels is injustice it's fine with me. But he does it in a way thats crytive without any explanation, hopes or demands. He then gets the perception of a me person when you can't articulate what it is he is protesting. And like another poster mentioned, he takes the worst examples and leaves out any positives.

His career was going downhill before this started, as soon as his coach left who designed and crafted to put him in a position to win it started. Meddling know it all owners are the worst.

As far as Baltimore, after Rice and Lewis their views and opinions don't add up to a squirt of piss. Tensions are high in Baltimore and I Imagine Kaepernick would be the first to start pouring gasoline on the fire.

He then gets the perception of a me person when you can't articulate what it is he is protesting.

He articulated it just fine--he was protesting against the oppression of black citizens by police and other institutions of power in the US. Now, whether you agree that this is a problem, or whether this was an effective means of protest, I think that's the bigger issue for some people.

Not sure why any team would want to add a backup QB that seems much more focused on social issues than leading his team. I would have no problem if he wanted to protest on his own time but to bring unnecessary attention to himself and the team at a time when the team is struggling seems misguided if the true focus is on winning. If the social stuff is so important to him then go for it but he's not talented enough to warrant so much consideration.

Still not sure why everyone cares so much about a QB who sucks and doesn't care about football.

Under any circumstances, Kaepernick is better than Ryan Mallett as a backup.

As far as the fit in Baltimore is concerned, John Harbaugh needn't go any further than his equally insane brother to figure out what type of offensive scheme Kaepernick would flourish in. Of all American cities, Charm City would be a great fit for his political message as it struggles with police-neighborhood relations.

We need Colin Kaepernick's voice (and maybe his arm)

Mr. Tebow, for the record, is currently playing a half decent left field in A ball for the Mets system. He's not a spectacular ballplayer but he might just have a fighting chance. If he can make the jump to AA this year or next, he's got an outside chance of cracking a big league roster.

And Kaepernick has been very good, a little faith placed in him at the right time might yield wonders.

That's what happened with Incognito. When the Bills picked him up after his ridiculous year suspension he became a Bill for life.

I'd like to see Tebow make it in MLB. The reactions from his critics would be priceless.

Non-football considerations are part of the game today. There are players the Pats won't sign due to behavior.

Agree 100%, I think it's silly to try to hide that fact. Sure, Kap's 'off field' considerations may be different than most guys, but to say everything isn't in play is just dumb.

I wonder how Roger would spin that one........."Well, yes, we ONLY consider 'on field' performance. In this case his 'off field' issues have the ability to impact on field performance, so it was considered."

Of course Kap has some off field dealings that could potentially be an unnecessary distraction, but another aspect is..............

Teams want backup QBs that are afterthoughts. If given the choice between a no-name guy and a high profile player with slightly higher upside I think most GMs would actually prefer the no name guy.

I mean, New England is a PERFECT example of that. Here it is we have the greatest QB in the history of the league, and yet Tim Tebow was the talk of training camp in 2013.

You're now assuming that the people you quoted don't give blowback to those that commit violence against women and children? Because one party can disagree with what Kaep is doing doesn't mean that they don't also disagree with those that commit violence. The two issues don't run hand in hand.

Are you an owner / GM of a NFL franchise ? Because otherwise nothing I wrote applies to you.

Anyway, this isn't going anywhere and I will just sit this discussion out.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back