PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank our rivals (most hated/disliked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg

Rookie
Reaction score
In order from most to least disliking. I consider the following to be our principle rivals:

Baltimore
Buffalo
Indianapolis
Miami
New York Jets
Pittsburgh

For me:

1. NYJ
2. Pittsburgh
3. Indy
4. Baltimore
5. Miami
6. Buffalo

Denver isn't listed because that rivalry died when Peyton retired imo. We don't play the Giants enough and I don't think there's any bad blood between us and KC.

Rival? What rival?

Last edited:
Rival? What rival?
This. They truly don’t have any rivals. In fact, “rivalries” have been a media creation to market games for years when these teams really aren’t rivals due to turnover with coaching/players.

A rivalry requires two teams that have been evenly matched in the past couple of years. Other than Denver (declined massively since Kubiak and Manning left) and Baltimore (no more Flacco BS), there really hasn't been another team which consistently played us well. Maybe Miami but they never make the Playoffs so who cares.

A rivalry requires two teams that have been evenly matched in the past couple of years. Other than Denver (declined massively since Kubiak and Manning left) and Baltimore (no more Flacco BS), there really hasn't been another team which consistently played us well. Maybe Miami but they never make the Playoffs so who cares.

This. All of our "rivalries" lately are of the hammer and nail variety.

KC and Pittsburgh give us close games that we usually win, so ehhhhh. My ex-girlfriend was a Steelers fan and we're their number one rival. It's kinda sad really. I'm sure we'd also be at or near the top of list for Indy, KC, NYJ, Miami, Buffalo, Houston, and maybe Baltimore.

KC and Pittsburgh give us close games that we usually win, so ehhhhh. My ex-girlfriend was a Steelers fan and we're their number one rival. It's kinda sad really. I'm sure we'd also be at or near the top of list for Indy, KC, NYJ, Miami, Buffalo, Houston, and maybe Baltimore.
This

The Bills and Dolphins are a rival lol? I hardly even consider the Jets our rival anymore because they’ve only had like one good season since 2010.

I hate e everyone, except the Saints. But, Baltimore, Indy and Pissburgh top the list in that order.

I wholeheartedly agree with Ravens, Colts, Steelers as complete abominations. Agree with the order too, though the Steelers could easily be #1 on any given day.

The Jets would join those 3 if and when they actually become competitive again.

The Pats are without peer, never mind rival. I agree other teams are no more than nails to be driven. However I no longer hold the Pats to be the hammer. They've moved past hammer to nail gun. Think about it, we've reached the point where we no longer compare this team to other teams but rather to past versions of itself.

As for ranking other teams when it comes to dislike I take exception to putting the Jete on any such list. They have provided far too many laughs over the years for us not to appreciate the comic relief. Their fans on the other hand, should all be neutered just like their team.

Last edited:
Pats have had 3 real rivalries during this run. Manning Colts, Ravens then Manning Broncos. The Manning games were often fights for AFC supremacy and included a heavy dose of "my QB's better than your QB" rhetoric. The QB W/L scorecard was often brought up and Brady's lead still matters historically. I actually wish that Manning did not spit the bit in several early round playoff games as it saved his butt from additional playoff losses to the Pats. The Lewis/Reed Ravens beat the Pats twice in the playoffs and came close a couple other times and with their role in the deflategate farce they'll continue to enjoy a high level as long as Harbaugh is around.

Not necessarily rivalries but teams I root hard against:
Steelers - Pats moved past them as all time best Super Bowl team - want to keep it that way
Colts - residuals from the Manning days with a heavy dose of deflategate thrown in
Jets - just because
Giants - I have an unhealthy anti Eli Manning stance (it infuriates me that this average player is talked about as a likely HOFer despite being the 15-25th best QB just about every year)

KC is really being downplayed as a rival. Look at the Brady-era history vs. KC.
  • 2002, tough OT win at home, Pats run defense exposed.
  • 2005, Jarad Allen and Larry Johnson kick our butts.
  • 2008, Bernard Pollard
  • 2009, Pioli defects to KC, Cassel/Vrabel trade
  • 2014, We're on to Cincinnati
  • 2015, tough playoff win thanks to Reid's clock mismanagement
  • 2017, Opening day butt kicking
  • 2018, Mahomes nearly outdules Brady in overtime, twice.
The Chiefs have always been a tough out (except when they bottomed out in 2011), and their history has entangled with ours a few times in the Brady era. If Brady sticks around for a few years and the Pats continue to ride the top of the AFC, then Brady/Mahomes could blossom into a rivalry that bookends the Brady/Manning rivaly. (I guess Mahomes needs to win a round or two for that to happen).

Pats have had 3 real rivalries during this run. Manning Colts, Ravens then Manning Broncos. The Manning games were often fights for AFC supremacy and included a heavy dose of "my QB's better than your QB" rhetoric. The QB W/L scorecard was often brought up and Brady's lead still matters historically. I actually wish that Manning did not spit the bit in several early round playoff games as it saved his butt from additional playoff losses to the Pats. The Lewis/Reed Ravens beat the Pats twice in the playoffs and came close a couple other times and with their role in the deflategate farce they'll continue to enjoy a high level as long as Harbaugh is around.

Not necessarily rivalries but teams I root hard against:
Steelers - Pats moved past them as all time best Super Bowl team - want to keep it that way
Colts - residuals from the Manning days with a heavy dose of deflategate thrown in
Jets - just because
Giants - I have an unhealthy anti Eli Manning stance (it infuriates me that this average player is talked about as a likely HOFer despite being the 15-25th best QB just about every year)

This is accurate. Colts/Broncos and Ravens were the closest thing to a rivalry. But considering the AFC championships since 2001 it’s hard to really call it a rivalry since it’s been so one sided:

Patriots - 9
Steelers - 3 (2 if you only count Brady seasons)
Colts - 2
Broncos - 2
Ravens - 1
Raiders - 1

Ravens
Pittsburgh
Colts

My most hated

In order from most to least disliking. I consider the following to be our principle rivals:

Baltimore
Buffalo
Indianapolis
Miami
New York Jets
Pittsburgh

For me:

1. NYJ
2. Pittsburgh
3. Indy
4. Baltimore
5. Miami
6. Buffalo

Denver isn't listed because that rivalry died when Peyton retired imo. We don't play the Giants enough and I don't think there's any bad blood between us and KC.
1. Baltimore
2. Denver
3. Jets
4. Steelers
5. Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes