PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss (Mildly) Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
This can't be dismissed as insignificant. Not all of Moss' problems since '04 have been attitude related. All the motivation, intensity and will to win in the world can't heal a hamstring.

I think Chad Jackson walked off the field under his own power last year.

Well, we aren't going to know anything from the Patriots. It could turn out anything between being back to practice tomorrow to being put on IR -:) Much more likely it'll be closer to the former than the latter. Would be nice to have him and TB continue to jell, but if he's out a week, say, it'll give the guys really fighting for a roster spot at WR to compete better with more reps. I'm trying to present the bright side.

This can't be dismissed as insignificant. Not all of Moss' problems since '04 have been attitude related. All the motivation, intensity and will to win in the world can't heal a hamstring.
Well most hamstrings aren't going to keep him out for 5 weeks. A badly pulled one, sure, but the average hamstring pull will have him back for sometime in the middle of the preseason games. Just as likely as a bad one is a mild one which has him back in less than a week.

Until further notice this is an eyeroller and nothing more.

Well, we aren't going to know anything from the Patriots. It could turn out anything between being back to practice tomorrow to being put on IR -:) Much more likely it'll be closer to the former than the latter. Would be nice to have him and TB continue to jell, but if he's out a week, say, it'll give the guys really fighting for a roster spot at WR to compete better with more reps. I'm trying to present the bright side.

I worry about a lingering issue that robs Moss of his gamebreaking ability, similar to what plagued him in '04. He still appeared in 13 games and provided red zone target, but limped around as a half-speed decoy most of the time.

let's hope this is not a continuing problem

exactly...this NE Offense is better than Windows Plug and Play....if he is hurt someone will get plugged in...and perform.

I think those that are ballin should chill a little...Moss be 'aight..:)
exactly , that's a perfect description of NE plug n play, if brady and belichik are still there, who cares about moss, he's just a high reward low risk type of commodity

This will be a very unpopular post, if read, but...

Muscle pulls are easily avoided (excepting strains based on torsion).

A billion dollar NFL team/corporation really should be doing better to oversee the responsibilites of its relatively limited employees. (in regards to #'s: i.e.: 53)

Weekend warriors will tell you that the majority of strains they have succombed to are due to lackadaisical stretching.

I cannot help but think that fire is following smoke 'round the Pats.

Flame on.

Last edited:
Yeah whatever. We have one of the most respected S&C in the league. That is not the problem. A lot of teams get pulled muscles because these guys are putting their bodies through what most people don't . . . we only notice when it's the Patriots.

Sources, please?
The stuff's not that hard to find :

"The 29-year coaching veteran is now in his 17th season in the NFL and has initiated strength and conditioning programs that have contributed to the success of six Super Bowl Championship teams, three with the Patriots and three with the Dallas Cowboys. Woicik's six Super Bowl rings are more than any player or head coach in NFL history has earned. Woicik is a two-time winner of the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Society's Coach of the Year Award, earning the honor in 1992 and 2004."

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=532

The stuff's not that hard to find :

"The 29-year coaching veteran is now in his 17th season in the NFL and has initiated strength and conditioning programs that have contributed to the success of six Super Bowl Championship teams, three with the Patriots and three with the Dallas Cowboys. Woicik's six Super Bowl rings are more than any player or head coach in NFL history has earned. Woicik is a two-time winner of the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Society's Coach of the Year Award, earning the honor in 1992 and 2004."

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=532

Fair enough.

I'm just frustrated to see our DBs dropping out before season's end (or beginning), is all.

Fair enough.

I'm just frustrated to see our DBs dropping out before season's end (or beginning), is all.
Believe me, so am I. But Woicik isn't the problem - or he hasn't been for many, many Super Bowl winners. Chad Scott's injury certainly isn't his fault, sometimes torn ligaments (which I'm assuming he has) just happen like that on the silliest looking plays. I saw the play when Braylon Edwards tore his as a 22 year old rookie, just went up for a ball, came down kind of ordinary . . . torn ACL :confused:

I have been to TC four times so far and in each case Moss has not really been doing his stretching especially his legs. The first day of camp BB went over to talk with him because he was doing nothing. Then at one session, someone was helping Moss stretch his legs. I am not sure if his lack of stretching caused the hamstring (hey man if you are running you need to stretch) or if he wasn't stretching because of the hamstring.

Moss could get some advice from Manny on how to deal with a hammy injury

Muscle pulls are easily avoided (excepting strains based on torsion).

A billion dollar NFL team/corporation really should be doing better to oversee the responsibilites of its relatively limited employees. (in regards to #'s: i.e.: 53)

Weekend warriors will tell you that the majority of strains they have succombed to are due to lackadaisical stretching.

I cannot help but think that fire is following smoke 'round the Pats.

Flame on.

I agree. Hamstring pulls are avoidable with proper conditioning, stretching, and warming up. If these guys can't or won't do it on their own, the team should ASSIGN a trainer to trouble-shoot for those not doing it properly and MAKE SURE it's rectified. If that means hands-on "assisted" stretching prior to practice, then get it done.

Muscle pulls are easily avoided
I don't know about unpopular. I do know it is wrong. You and I can avoid muscle pulls because we don't have massive muscles working in pairs, one against the other, in our bodies, and we use our muscles to walk to the fridge for a beer, not to use every ounce of power available to compete with other super athletes.

You really believe that hamstring pulls, the injury that has affected almost all WRs sometime in their career, is easily avoided?

WRs need to run fast. They need strong quads (front of leg) and weak hamstrings (back of leg). Quads and hamstrings are opposing muscles, each resisting the other.

Strong quads propel the runner. Hamstrings resist the quads. If the quads are too strong, they tear the hamstring (strains are small tears). So the goal is this balancing act between a hamstring strong enough not to tear but weak enough that speed isn't affected.

That's why hamstrings are the occupational injury of WRs and CBs.

YOU can prevent a hamstring pull easily by stretching. Not a WR.

But I would like your reasoning as to why all NFL teams have players that suffer from hamstring and groin muscle pulls and tears if they are easily avoidable. Is it a conspiracy involving all 32 trainers in the league?

Hamstring injuries are classified into 3 grades:

Grade I
With a grade one hamstring strain the signs may not be present until after the activity is over. There may be a sensation of cramp or tightness and a slight feeling of pain when the muscles are stretched or contracted. It also may be referred to as a "pulled hammy".

Grade II
With a grade two hamstring strain there is immediate pain which is more severe than the pain of a grade one injury. It is confirmed by pain on stretch and contraction of the muscle. A grade two hamstring strain is usually sore to touch.

Grade III
A grade three hamstring strain is a catastrophic injury. There is an immediate burning or stabbing pain and the athlete is unable to walk without pain. The muscle is completely torn and there may be a large lump of muscle tissue above a depression where the tear is. After a few days with grade two and three injuries a large bruise may appear below the injury site caused by the bleeding within the tissues.

The ideal treatment for grade I injuries is 3 weeks of rest, and 4-6 weeks for grade II. He likely doesn't have a grade III injury considering he walked off the field. Obviously nobody's going to go the ideal route and he'll come back faster than the recommended time, but he'll be good to go by the opener, no doubt about it.

Info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstring

Last edited:
Just heard on WEEI that Moss isn't on the field this morning. (not surprising, just reporting)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back