PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Musings: "Bye" Low, Sell High edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
- The Bye week...otherwise known as the Fall weekend I always have to either take the wife Christmas shopping or clean the gutters....DAMN YOU, NFL SCHEDULERS!

- Looking back on the first half of the season, its been repeated over and over about the OL being the key change to the turnaround from the KC game. I would offer two other areas not as talked about - third down efficiency on both sides of the ball and, frankly, penalty reduction. The ability to keep the ball a little longer (and/or just simply score points obviously) and force it from the other team has steadily improved while the sheer volume of penalties has plummeted. In both cases, I again harken to the fact that the loss of REAL practice ability has reduced the first 2-3 games of the season to basically extended preseason to work out timing, communication, and team roles for individual players. Hurts ALL teams, but precision based teams like the Pats really get it in the shorts.

- The trade....enflames the ole passions round here huh? I continue to be mystified by the low volume of snaps Wright is getting. When called upon he's produced...and usually production equals more playing time, but for some reason he's just not seeing the field. Curiouser is that it's Amendola benefitting the most, with Hoo-man and Develin some as well. No issues with multiple sets and looks...variety equals a softer defense staring back at you from the line, but it remains a bit puzzling. That said, Mankins has twice in his career made it quite clear - he's about the cash first. The holdout and the restructure request rebuff make that clear. Those type guys do not last on the Pats in MOST cases.

Casillas, Jones, Slater, and Ebner...sounds more like an infield for the Cincinnati Reds than a special teams unit, but daaaaaamn I am about as giddy to watch punt/kick coverage now as I am the other two parts of the game. I can't remember a faster, more heady, and complete set of special teams gurus as right now.

Hey Matt Patricia...I know it doesn't seem like anyone loves you round here, but that game plan last week that you and the big boss man Belichick came up with...genius bro. It was, at least on that night, akin to rocket science.

- Barring injury, the run defense will steadily climb UP the defensive stats charts, while the passing defense will come down over the next five weeks. Just the reality of the Murderer's Row of QBs on the docket. Hopefully it's also because they have a lead and are playing "keep everything in front of you" mode late and its byproduct of allowing tons of high efficiency, but clock eating yards.

- Alan Branch. The missing link?

- Mallet gets a start this weekend? Deserves it, but at the same time he too seems like another guy who would be a good backup, but would be easily diagnosed by defensive coordinators over the long haul. Guess we'll finally see for real. Luckily, good running game he comes in with so he can do play action and vertical routes which is right in his wheelhouse.

- Enjoy, as much as a football fan can, the bye week one and all. We're on to Indianapolis.

Nice post. Much of this has already been discussed in detail. But a few thoughts:

- The Bye week...otherwise known as the Fall weekend I always have to either take the wife Christmas shopping or clean the gutters....DAMN YOU, NFL SCHEDULERS!

Most years I can't wait for the bye week to be over. But this year I am thrilled that the team is getting some time off to rest up and get people healthy. I'd be happy to have 2 byes.

- Looking back on the first half of the season, its been repeated over and over about the OL being the key change to the turnaround from the KC game. I would offer two other areas not as talked about - third down efficiency on both sides of the ball and, frankly, penalty reduction. The ability to keep the ball a little longer (and/or just simply score points obviously) and force it from the other team has steadily improved while the sheer volume of penalties has plummeted. In both cases, I again harken to the fact that the loss of REAL practice ability has reduced the first 2-3 games of the season to basically extended preseason to work out timing, communication, and team roles for individual players. Hurts ALL teams, but precision based teams like the Pats really get it in the shorts.

I think that clearly the first quarter of the season was an extension of the preseason, and not reflective of the team. The real season won't start until after Thanksgiving. BB said after the Broncos' game that 7 wins never won anything and that the teams' best football is still ahead of them. I hope his is right.

BB also preaches complementary and situational football, and I think that the Pats have been executing really well in those aspects of the game. Low turnover, getting turnovers, good ST play, not missing FG attempts, generating good field position and preventing good field position, keep drives going, getting opponents off the field on 3rd down, tightening up on penalties, tightening up red zone execution and defense ... the list goes on and on. There's still plenty of places where the team can tighten things up and get better.

- The trade....enflames the ole passions round here huh? I continue to be mystified by the low volume of snaps Wright is getting. When called upon he's produced...and usually production equals more playing time, but for some reason he's just not seeing the field. Curiouser is that it's Amendola benefitting the most, with Hoo-man and Develin some as well. No issues with multiple sets and looks...variety equals a softer defense staring back at you from the line, but it remains a bit puzzling. That said, Mankins has twice in his career made it quite clear - he's about the cash first. The holdout and the restructure request rebuff make that clear. Those type guys do not last on the Pats in MOST cases.

JMHO, but I personally think BB is keeping Wright muzzled on purpose to some extent, so as to not show everything before the playoffs. I think that he's given him just enough snaps to get him worked in to the offense and see what he can do, but every time I think that they are going to bring out the 2 TE offense in full force they back off. Denver was a good example - I thought the Broncos were very vulnerable to TEs up the seam, and that the Pats could have wrecked havoc with Gronk and Wright. I'm quite happy that they will be able to show something different if there is a rematch.

Casillas, Jones, Slater, and Ebner...sounds more like an infield for the Cincinnati Reds than a special teams unit, but daaaaaamn I am about as giddy to watch punt/kick coverage now as I am the other two parts of the game. I can't remember a faster, more heady, and complete set of special teams gurus as right now.

I agree with this one wholeheartedly. The talent on STs is staggering, and potentially a game changer. I can't remember an example of a team with 4 STers this good, and that doesn't count Gostkowski.

Way too soon to tell, but I think there is a big opportunity for Branch to contribute. If he plays to the level that he played from 2011-2013, then I think he could have a bigger impact than Tommy Kelly would have had. That's a big "if", obviously.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this one wholeheartedly. The talent on STs is staggering, and potentially a game changer. I can't remember an example of a team with 4 STers this good, and that doesn't count Gostkowski.

Or Edelman.

I have some hope for Branch but getting Siliga back is the missing link I'm really waiting for. Not sure if it's one or two more games he's out (I've heard both) but he's a significant player and will really help. If Branch adds to that, all the better.

I have some hope for Branch but getting Siliga back is the missing link I'm really waiting for. Not sure if it's one or two more games he's out (I've heard both) but he's a significant player and will really help. If Branch adds to that, all the better.

From Reiss today, FWIW:

Defensive lineman Sealver Siliga, who is on the injured reserve designated to return list, was seen in the locker room on Tuesday and Wednesday, which could be a good sign as he can be activated after the game against the Colts in Week 11.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4771748/cleaning-out-the-patriots-notebook-40

Totally agree. Kick return coverage is often an afterthought because of the percentage of touchbacks these days, but the wind (and the large number of Pats kickoffs :D) changed that against Denver. The Broncos had some opportunities with wind-shortened kicks, but the Patriots just stuffed them. Really impressive.

Totally agree. Kick return coverage is often an afterthought because of the percentage of touchbacks these days, but the wind (and the large number of Pats kickoffs :D) changed that against Denver. The Broncos had some opportunities with wind-shortened kicks, but the Patriots just stuffed them. Really impressive.

I believe that the Pats' average starting field position was their own 37 yard line, Denver's their own 23.

Nice post. Much of this has already been discussed in detail. But a few thoughts:

Most years I can't wait for the bye week to be over. But this year I am thrilled that the team is getting some time off to rest up and get people healthy. I'd be happy to have 2 byes.

I think that clearly the first quarter of the season was an extension of the preseason, and not reflective of the team. The real season won't start until after Thanksgiving. BB said after the Broncos' game that 7 wins never won anything and that the teams' best football is still ahead of them. I hope his is right.

BB also preaches complementary and situational football, and I think that the Pats have been executing really well in those aspects of the game. Low turnover, getting turnovers, good ST play, not missing FG attempts, generating good field position and preventing good field position, keep drives going, getting opponents off the field on 3rd down, tightening up on penalties, tightening up red zone execution and defense ... the list goes on and on. There's still plenty of places where the team can tighten things up and get better.

JMHO, but I personally think BB is keeping Wright muzzled on purpose to some extent, so as to not show everything before the playoffs. I think that he's given him just enough snaps to get him worked in to the offense and see what he can do, but every time I think that they are going to bring out the 2 TE offense in full force they back off. Denver was a good example - I thought the Broncos were very vulnerable to TEs up the seam, and that the Pats could have wrecked havoc with Gronk and Wright. I'm quite happy that they will be able to show something different if there is a rematch.

The secret weapon hiding in plain sight !?

(...and Edelmen). The nice thing is that Casillas and maybe Ebner can also play regular Defense as well.

Way too soon to tell, but I think there is a big opportunity for Branch to contribute. If he plays to the level that he played from 2011-2013, then I think he could have a bigger impact than Tommy Kelly would have had. That's a big "if", obviously.

I watched Alan Branch in his years with the Cards. He has the talent to be a Probowl NT, if he has his head right. He started for the Cards when healthy. I think he started for the Seahawks and Bills , who also had Marceau Darius and Kyle Williams at NT too.

Nice post, thanks for the write up.

With respect to the Wright situation, I guess I've always assumed we needed the blocker out there in his stead. Is the o line sufficient without a TE blocker? I think if you put in Wright, it tends to imply Gronk will necessarily be blocking, doesn't it? That will tip your hand some if it does imply that.

Wright is becoming the new Mike Vrabel. You don't see him much on offense, but when you do, good things usually follow.

Nice post, thanks for the write up.

With respect to the Wright situation, I guess I've always assumed we needed the blocker out there in his stead. Is the o line sufficient without a TE blocker?

I'm not sure that's a direct correlation - as he's many times replaced Amendola, vice either Hoo-man or Develin who are the much better blockers. So is he a worse blocker than Amendola? Possibly. Amendola is a good downfield blocker (as is Edelman and LaFell).

The reason the two-TE offense with Gronk/1st Degree Murderer worked so well was the defense 1) couldn't cover either with a single defender and 2) you could both run and pass from it in the exact same look and 3) if they did put an extra DB in to play pass against those two the running game was a much higher percentage play overall.

I've seen Wright make some decent blocks - great example on the Edelman punt return (which kinda makes the point, if he sucks as a blocker, why is he on the punt return unit with one single job: blocking?).

I'm in the camp that he's getting outplayed in practice personally. BB plays the guys that practice the best during the week (obviously with some exceptions), so those are the guys out there. It may be a combination of how fast he picks up the offense, blocking, how well the other guys are playing, etc.

I'm with mayo. I think that they aren't showing all their cards just yet.

This bye week will be a day of thanksgiving for the turnaround that has happened in the past few weeks. There will be much consumption of beer and nachos whilst watching NFL red zone and keeping an eye on the fantasy team in anticipation for next week's matchup with Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes