PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random midseason thoughts around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Chicago should have pursued a guy like Tannehill or even Fitzpatrick if better quarterback play could put them over the top. There was no evidence after last season that Trubisky was the answer. A new starter alongside that great defense could have yielded another playoff season.

In the meantime, Trubisky's awful play combined with that elite defense is keeping them distinctly mediocre. There can't be much worse in the NFL than being mediocre since you are not in hunt for either a Super Bowl or a high draft pick. At this point, I wonder if Chicago should hold a fire sale since I can't see them righting the ship in the next year or two with Trubisky. Dismantling that defense can net them picks for a rebuild that occurs sooner than later.
Really, all they need is a decent "game-manager" type of QB. Trubisky is one of the league's bigger busts of recent years. Chicago whiffed not going for Garoppolo at some point -- he would've owned that city.

The 49ers are legit and not because of Jimmy G. They are fast. Real fast. On both sides of the ball. A pats-49ers SB could be the most exciting 3-0 game in the history of the NFL.

All defense, but the two weeks of media before hand would be an unrelenting onslaught of Brady and Jimmy G hype.

Vegas has Seattle 50/50 to make the playoffs.

Really, all they need is a decent "game-manager" type of QB. Trubisky is one of the league's bigger busts of recent years. Chicago whiffed not going for Garoppolo at some point -- he would've owned that city.
I lived in Chicago for a year and loved it. Above all, that city loves their Bears and it's surprising they didn't trade for a "face of the franchise" like Garoppolo. Even if it costs an arm and a leg, a quarterback like that can help sell merchandise -- especially in a city like Chicago where football helps distract from bad weather. Literally half the year it is too windy and cold to walk from the metro to the Five Guys on Michigan Ave.

Nick Bosa is getting all the hype. Deservedly so but Josh Allen is having a year as well.
7 sacks 8 TFL 12 QB hits 2 FF.

Allen has been vg.

There are maybe 5 good football teams this year. Maybe.

They have skill position guys who can get it done too - Robinson, Gabriel, Miller occasionally flashes at WR (Pats should get this dude, he could be a high-end slot/Edelman type guy with better coaching), Burton, Montgomery, Cohen. They look like they have no plan every game I watch them play. They probably don't. As you say, even a semi-competent game manager - Dalton, Flacco, Bridgewater - would have been a big game changer for what looks like a failed season. Personally I am surprised that the Packers, Vikings, and Lions have all looked very good as well, that doesn't help them at all. Big IR guys on both OL and DL too with Kyle Long and Akiem Hicks done for the year, but that's how it goes. And if the coach can't teach him to play football, then both are useless. He'll probably be around the league for awhile because he does have some raw skills that coaches will think they can fix.

I thought the Bears should have backed the truck up for JG during that 2017 draft, esp with him being from the area it was a no-brainer. Perhaps they tried, it seems like BB might have been unwilling to move JG during the draft. The Bears paid more to move up 1 pick than the Niners did for JG...so I don't think they would have been an unwilling partner if the issue was the the Pats asking price was high. Plus I would have liked seeing the Pats get some extra #1's, obvi :) that way we could all complain about how BB wasted those picks on whoever they took

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back