PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random midseason thoughts around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I guess this thread should be left until after tonight but I honestly don't think anyone cares about Pitt or Miami at this point.

#1 The 49ers are a beast of a team. People keep talking about the Pats going 19-0. The 49ers have just as good a chance. While that 51-13 win against Carolina may cause some overreaction they deserve the praise they are about to get. The best team in the NFC. I believe them and the Pats are on a collision course with maybe only the Saint or a completely healthy KC getting in the way for each team. If someone wanted to say they were the best team in the NFL over the Pats they would have a good case.

#2 Staying with the NFC. GB is one of the worst and luckiest 7-1 teams I've seen in years. Eventually reality is going to catch up with this team. I foresee a first round exit incoming with a much hyped 12-4 or 13-3 GB team.

#3 LOL at the Bears. They need a new coach and new QB. I still can't get over how they handled the final 35 seconds of that game before a missed FG kick.

#4 The Vikings are a team a lot of people are sleeping on. They have had a few stumbles and their QB will always be a question mark, but they have everything else and there are a lot of questionable QBs.

#5 While their fans are annoying and they were just beaten badly i'm not ready to give up on the Bills. Injuries matter and they will get healthy. I still think when healthy they have the 3rd best D in the NFL by a large amount.

#6 The Texans are a team that has something going for it very few teams do right now. Stability at the QB position. If Watson stays healthy he will bring the Texans an advantage in their games very few teams can match, particularly AFC teams.

#7 The NFL is chalk full of middling teams right now. There are a few teams that really suck. A few teams that are really good. Then everyone else and it's really hard to tell whose who sometimes. I look at a lot of 2-6 and 5-3 teams this year and see very little that separates them outside of a few being lucky to play some of the really bad teams and a getting a lucky break. In reality the level of competition they represent is often interchangeable. The best example of this was the Denver/Colts game yesterday.

Last edited:
I think the best team in the NFL right now are:

Pats, 49ers, Saints, Vikings, Packers. The rest are a notch below.

The 49ers are legit and not because of Jimmy G. They are fast. Real fast. On both sides of the ball. A pats-49ers SB could be the most exciting 3-0 game in the history of the NFL.

I think the best team in the NFL right now are:

Pats, 49ers, Saints, Vikings, Packers. The rest are a notch below.

The 49ers are legit and not because of Jimmy G. They are fast. Real fast. On both sides of the ball. A pats-49ers SB could be the most exciting 3-0 game in the history of the NFL.[/QUOTE/}

Nugent wins the Super Bowl!

A pats-49ers SB could be the most exciting 3-0 game in the history of the NFL.

That reminds me of my Jets fan brother in law’s classic line during a recent Jets game, “Well, they’re down 3-0...

...insurmountable lead.” LOL

Re: NFC I would put the Niners, Pack, and Saints all in the same 1A/1B/1C bucket right now. That hierarchy is yet to be sorted out. I can understand anyone loving any of those teams as a favorite, and also understand anyone thinking maybe there is a slide yet to come.

Simmons (I know) compared JG to young Brady in that he seems to do lots of little things well but they don't add up to numbers or complete games, and I'd agree with that. I think he's a little sloppy and underwhelming. If you told me that they would go 14-2 and JG would kill them in the Divisional Rd with a 3 INT stinker, I'd buy that.

Rodgers has pulled some rabbits out of hats already, and he's easy to hate and hard to love, but goddamn he does some things sometimes that are just incredible. I'd agree with you that they could go into playoffs as a powerhouse #2 seed and lose at home to like, Seattle or Minny. Absolutely could happen - he just hasn't done it in the playoffs for too long.

Saints are the one I think is fool's gold (cue SB win). I know they haven't had Brees for a 5 game stretch and that was impressive, no doubt. Michael Thomas is utterly unstoppable - he could even make Trubisky look good. But he's about all they do well offensively, the rest is pretty mediocre IMO. Rodgers has been forced to work with guys other than Davante Adams the last few games and I think that will be a big benefit to them later because he's been able to make plays to those guys...the type of WRs we've always given credit to TB12 for having to work with, so I'll give it to him too. Jones and Williams are a very good 1-2 out of the backfield for GB also, what they did to KC last night with Jones was right out of the NE playbook, just destroying bad matchups that KC just didn't seem to adjust to.

#7 The NFL is chalk full of middling teams right now. There are a few teams that really suck. A few teams that are really good. Then everyone else and it's really hard to tell whose who sometimes. I look at a lot of 2-6 and 5-3 teams this year and see very little that separates them outside of a few being lucky to play some of the really bad teams and a getting a lucky break. In reality the level of competition they represent is often interchangeable. The best example of this was the Denver/Colts game yesterday.
Agreed. One can also look to the San Diego Chargers as an example of the razor's edge that is today's NFL. Last year, they won numerous close games on the way to a 12-4 record. This year, they've lost five games by 3, 7, 7, 7, and 3.

Even a 7-1 team like Green Bay barely scrapes by against Kansas City with a backup. For me, the only elite teams -- warts and all -- are the Patriots, 49ers, and Saints. If the Vikings keep winning, maybe throw them into the mix. Otherwise, there are a few teams that can become elite -- Green Bay, Kansas City, Baltimore, Houston, and Seattle -- with some adjustments.

Beyond those, the league is fifty shades of mediocrity followed by the Falcons, Redskins, Bengals, and Dolphins limping behind.

Last edited:
Basically a 5-6 team league.

Pats & 49ers are almost mirror image's of each other. Offenses hovering around good/good enough w outstanding defenses. Scary how similar they are in general terms. Oh Nick Bosa is playing at DPOY level, bottom tier MVP canidate. Dude is unreal. Such a fun team to watch. Thought they had real potential a few years ago & here they are in a big way.

Vikings have been one of the more complete teams since Cousins got his ish together. Very balanced. OL has been up & down along w QB but thats a dangerous team.

Bills, Ravens, GB look like paper tigers. Bills offense, Ravens defense & GB defense don't give me strong feelings of success.

Seattle & Carolina would be right there. Carolina's defense, particularly their pass D is legit. Seattle has no D & a offense that is Wilson & a prayer. Guess you could throw Chicago in there as well. I missed on Trubisky. Bears missed a lot more but it's evident hes not the guy. LOL Nagy won COY over Bill last year.

Biggest wildcard is KC & Mahomes. Their defense only has to play "good enough" if Mahomes is healthy. KC can't rush him back. Sit him for the year if need be. Uphill battle as it is don't risk the best young QB not named Watson in the game.

One other thing regarding the Pats D or Pats in general when it comes to "they haven't played anyone".

Sometimes when scouting players, mostly small school guys. The competition is so bad its almost useless to try & consider them. I've literally covered opposing players w my fingers before just so I can concentrate on a Cory Davis or Khalil Mack etc because its obvious how good they are. They opposition doesn't matter at that point. I'm not getting anything out of that so I'll just focus on what's important.

The Pats defense is playing at a phenomenal level. The organization & communication that is happening is almost unprecedented. Every guy is prepared, confident & seemingly playing on all cylinders.

They're good. Really good.
That said they could give up 24-28, we lose to a good team & still be really good.

Seattle is probably the sneaky team in the NFC.

I think the Patriots, 49ers, Saints, and Vikings are clearly the cream of the crop, and we are lucky in the sense that three of them are in the NFC, whereas the Patriots are easily the #1 team in the AFC.

The rest of the possible contenders are all on the same tier. They can contend, but they all have some fatal flaws one way or another. For example, the Seahawks' defense is terrible this year, despite Wilson's great season so far. The Packers don't feel dangerous at all despite a 7-1 start. The Bills have Josh Allen at starting QB. The Chiefs' defense also sucks. The list goes on.

If anyone cares here's how I rank the teams. Instead of 1-32 I'll rank them in tiers which will help illustrate what i mean when i say a bunch of teams are in the middle. 10 being the best and 1 being the worst in these rankings.

10 Elite - Pats, 49ers (2 teams)
9 Contenders (when healthy) Saints, Chiefs* (2 teams)
8 - Very good - Vikings (1 team)
7 Pretty Good/Frauds -Packers, Texans (2 teams)
6 - Above average - Ravens, Rams, Seahawks, Bills* (4 teams)
5 - Average - Jags, Titans, Colts, Lions, Bears, Cowboys, Eagles, Panthers (8 teams)
4 - Below average - Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Steelers, Browns, Bucs (6 teams)
3 - Semi-bad - N/A
2 - BAD - Cardinals, Giants (2 teams)
1 - Suck - Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Redskins, Falcons (5 teams)

The most inconsistent team are the Eagles and Browns which can be anywhere from a 2-8 depending on how they play that day. Panthers are fairly inconsistent too and the QB spot being in flux makes things interesting there. The Seahawks have often played up and down to their competition so are also hard to rank. I am putting KC at a 9 cause i am banking on that being where they end up if Mahomes is healthy come playoff time.

The question I expect to get the most is why I rank the Packers so low. The quick answer is they should have more losses and made their reputation beating overrated and injured teams as well as having teams beat themselves and caught teams at the right time. They are a 7-1 team that should be 5-3 or maybe even 4-4 which wouldn't be bad considering their schedule has no tomato cans.

The Chiefs right now are clearly middle tier.... maybe a 5-6 or so. When healthy they jump to a 9. Their defense even when healthy is still an issue and keeps them from being a true elite team. Also if the Bills are 100% right they can move up from a 6 to a 7.

Last edited:
I guess this thread should be left until after tonight but I honestly don't think anyone cares about Pitt or Miami at this point.

#1 The 49ers are a beast of a team. People keep talking about the Pats going 19-0. The 49ers have just as good a chance. While that 51-13 win against Carolina may cause some overreaction they deserve the praise they are about to get. The best team in the NFC. I believe them and the Pats are on a collision course with maybe only the Saint or a completely healthy KC getting in the way for each team. If someone wanted to say they were the best team in the NFL over the Pats they would have a good case.

#2 Staying with the NFC. GB is one of the worst and luckiest 7-1 teams I've seen in years. Eventually reality is going to catch up with this team. I foresee a first round exit incoming with a much hyped 12-4 or 13-3 GB team.

#3 LOL at the Bears. They need a new coach and new QB. I still can't get over how they handled the final 35 seconds of that game before a missed FG kick.

#4 The Vikings are a team a lot of people are sleeping on. They have had a few stumbles and their QB will always be a question mark, but they have everything else and there are a lot of questionable QBs.

#5 While their fans are annoying and they were just beaten badly i'm not ready to give up on the Bills. Injuries matter and they will get healthy. I still think when healthy they have the 3rd best D in the NFL by a large amount.

#6 The Texans are a team that has something going for it very few teams do right now. Stability at the QB position. If Watson stays healthy he will bring the Texans an advantage in their games very few teams can match, particularly AFC teams.

#1 Repeat of SB 49 OC battle, but w/ drama. :eek:
#2 Discount double check has an App.
#3 Younghoe looking for a job.
#4 Wide left, part deux.
#5 D for bildos.
#6 Down goes Watt, Down goes Watt.
#7 Parity = equal suckitude.

The Bears have a good coach, he just doesn't believe in his quarterback -- for good reason. That team would be in decent shape if not for Trubisky

The Bears have a good coach, he just doesn't believe in his quarterback -- for good reason. That team would be in decent shape if not for Trubisky

Would not be surprised if they had a ew QB tomorrow. Why not take Eli or a flyer on Cam (assuming Carolina would a.trade him, b trade him in the conference) that team would be a SB contender with a competent game manager at QB.

@bob,

#7 is every year in the NFL. The talking heads are always pointing out the yearly turnover of playoff teams. If you look at the teams that don't make it back, its typically because they played a weak schedule that almost, if not, always includes four games against the worst division in football the year before and played one of the best divisions in football the year they dropped off. Also, playing a 1st or 2nd place schedule to boot.

It's the same year in and year out. The winning organizations often buck this trend but not always. See the Steelers, Ravens, Packers etc..

The Saints are the class of the NFC. They can win in a multitude of ways. They are well coached, and well-rounded in all parts of the game. The "dome team" persona is long gone.

I wonder if Chicago should have pursued a guy like Tannehill or even Fitzpatrick if better quarterback play could put them over the top. There was no evidence after last season that Trubisky was the answer. A new starter alongside that great defense could have yielded another playoff season.

In the meantime, Trubisky's awful play combined with that elite defense is keeping them distinctly mediocre. There can't be much worse in the NFL than being mediocre since you are not in hunt for either a Super Bowl or a high draft pick. At this point, I wonder if Chicago should hold a fire sale since I can't see them righting the ship in the next year or two with Trubisky. Dismantling that defense can net them picks for a rebuild that occurs sooner than later.

The 49ers pass defense went from abysmal to historically great in 1 season.

There can't be much worse in the NFL than being mediocre since you are not in hunt for either a Super Bowl or a high draft pick.

Depends who you ask. The hope of playoffs sells more tickets than a known tank job.

Im not writing Dallas off. They are loaded on offense and just need to play better defense and put it all together.

Seattle is another team to watch. Theyve had some hiccups, but Wilson is a great QB.

The Chiefs will be haunted by their inability to stop the run.

The best team in the NFC. I believe them and the Pats are on a collision course

I can’t imagine a more painful loss for Tom Brady than losing the Super Bowl to a Jimmy G-led 49ers team. Well, I guess the Pats being 18-0 at that point would be worse. I think I’ll stop now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back