PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question for Bankofamericasox fans

They have the money to spend because we're the best fan base in the game. We deserve to have a team that can spend money on players because of the amount of money we spend on the team.

this thread is a fail

I am a betting man, but nobody took me up on the bet. :) ah, well, I was close, but no cigar. (but it's not $20mm or so, either)

I agree with the rest of what you said, though. Like I said initially in response, maybe there's been a structural shift, but the Yanks are still head and shoulders above the Sox and the rest of the top tier(s?) in spending.

I'm bored and need some coffee, so I'm taking a look at payroll figures from USA today, which are consistent with what you posted here. Sox are the only team in the top 5 besides the Yanks each of the past 5 years or so, but only once (I think) were they the #2 team. Mets and Angels and Tigers were in a few years, now the Phils as you point out.

Also, Yanks have been fairly consistent in their spending. What's changed is the other teams. As might be expected, more teams are spending more $. (I don't know where the soft cap has been each year -- that certainly could have something to do with where most other high-spending teams are.) If you went back 4 or 5 years, the gap was $70mm -- 200ish to 130ish -- a gap that then fit more than a dozen of the next highest teams. Now it's 30, a gap that only encompasses the next 3 or so highest.

Do the Sox have the same kind of advantage as the Yanks in terms of ability to take risks and weather mistakes? Without question.

the only think I take issue with is that the Yanks are still in a league of their in terms of their spending. This year the gap b/t them and the Sox is $41mm, last year it was $44. That's Sabathia and either Rivera or Teixeira, roughly speaking.

So no answer to my question, it appears? ;)

(In all seriousness, I have no problem with the content if it's an honest discussion.)

I guess the answer to your question is that this is the internet, a discussion forum, and he's able to.

I'd never sit here and say that the Yankees aren't the highest spenders, or don't have the deepest pockets, or largest advantage. They absolutely do. I just think that when you're Tampa, KC, or one of the other have not's, $160, $180, and $200 million all look just as ****ty.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back