PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Qb prospects

LT85

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
So, assuming Jimmy gets traded, I would like the pats to draft a Qb to develope. For 2 reasons
1: I'm not as sold on Brisset as others around here
2. While Brady is obviously still going strong I think they should draft a qb every year from now on till they find one they like (which I guess might be brisset, but still)

Been looking at this years qbs and I'm not in love, let's put that way. Especially not considering where we would have to pull the trigger on guys like mahomes and trubisky.

My question for all you knowlegdable fellows is this: are there any small school/sleepers/under the radar prospects worth looking in to? Some one with potential, but some question marks a la Jimmy(small school, no play book)

Phil Nelson ECU, might be a low round developmental guy. The only one in East West (oops NFLPA GAME) game that even looked like a QB.
As long as I'm at NFLPA game there were 3 interesting RB's.
TJ Logan, Taquan Mizzell, Tarik Cohen ( a water bug)

Last edited:
The 2017 draft has nothing we would be interested in at qb.

However the 2018 draft has several really talented kids coming out.

Ps: I think Rosen will be a better qb than luck!

That was what I was thinking. And it makes me wonder. If you trade Jimmy, do you want an extra first this year( a lot of talent for the d) or do you want the ammo for next year to go after the heir to Brady?

I'm fine with Brissett - I like him quite a bit. I'd take Patrick Mahomes on day 3 if he was available (I doubt he will be). Lots of talent but very raw. Aside from him though, I've not looked at QBs at all.

It would be hilarious going from Brady, who hasn't said a bad thing about anyone in 17 years, and wants zero sound clips about anything outside of football, to Rosen, who is as outspoken on social issues as any current player in the league.

Change can be good, but it would be jarring.

I wouldn't mind Davis Webb or Phil Nelson for training camp and a possible practice squad guy

I would like the Pats to get a new QB prospect to but i hate all these prospects. I don't even see many guys worth trying to develop TBH.

It is such a dumpster fire. If some team uses a top pick on any of these guys instead of trading for JG or some other QB or signing a FA I am going to just shake my head.

No one from this class is likely to ever amount to anything.

Last edited:
I would like the Pats to get a new QB prospect to but i hate all these prospects. I don't even see many guys worth trying to develop TBH.

It is such a dumpster fire. If some team uses a top pick on any of these guys instead of trading for JG or some other QB or signing a FA I am going to just shake my head.

No one from this class is likely ever amount to anything.

It all comes down to fit and expectations, but if you are drafting Watson/kizer/trubisky over Foster/Thomas/Adams, you will most likely be wasting your most valuable team asset.

IMO the top prospects are

#1 Pat Mahomes - The best prospect in the draft but he has some stuff to clean up. His throwing motion sometimes looks good and sometimes looks lazy. He does seem to have good touch and some pocket presence. Can make all the throws and usually knows when to make them. Has a fairly quick release. Can fit a ball into a tight window. He needs to learn to go through more than 2 progressions and depends on his atheletism a bit too much (common for college QBs) which will fail to succeed at the NFL level. Also comes off as a "me" player but that is just an impression. I have not heard anything about it. Overall though I think if anyone has a chance to be something it is a him. late 2nd round grade

#2 Mitch Trubisky - Has a bit of a wind up. However the best thing about him is a rarely stops looking down field. Has has had chances to run and opts to dump it off instead to let his WR try to make a play instead of himself. He looks very natural in the pocket and doesn't get antsy if no one is open immediate. Has a good mental make up and plays calmly. Some things seems forced. The fake hand offs look robotic and he too often under throws his WRs deep which could get him in trouble in the NFL. However when on the field you get the feeling the offense is almost moving itself instead of him trying to force it to move. A good sign and the closest thing to Brady in this draft. He has the highest upside but I think will need time to catch up to the NFL as i think right now he is too slow for it. late 2nd round grade.

Kizer and Watson? Talented guys but once the NFL doesn't let them out talent people they don't have the tools to fall back on and unlike guys like Cam/Vick don't have the truly elite talent to make it with a so-so QB skill set. Both are 4th round grades imo which low chance of development.

Don't get me started on anyone else. So this draft has 2 maybe guys but i don't see either being that good. Pat has a decent shot at low level starter and Mitch has a low shot at mid to slightly high level starter. Just my take.

Also though i give them each low 2nd round grades that is only for QB needy teams and I don't think either last till our 2nd round pick which i would not use on them anyway. The only time i consider drafting either for the Pats is pick 96 and both will be long gone.

Looking at those 2 compared to JG on tape you see a big difference. We were lucky he fell to the low 2nd and only did cause of such a loaded QB class.

Last edited:
Phil Nelson ECU, might be a low round developmental guy. The only one in East West (oops NFLPA GAME) game that even looked like a QB.
As long as I'm at NFLPA game there were 3 interesting RB's.
TJ Logan, Taquan Mizzell, Tarik Cohen ( a water bug)

Haven't seen much of Logan. Yea to Mizzell/Cohen.

Peterman from Pittsburgh surprised me with his performance down in mobile.

I am pretty sure he is a better qb than brissett at this point. But still a long long long way to go to being a starting nfl qb.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back