Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Given the strength of the '24 draft, would you like to see the Patriots trade #14 for a '24 1st +

• Yes, with a '23 3rd.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Depends on Board

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Ray Lewis Killed a Guy

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
What do you think would be the catalyst for deviating from his mission statement of acting in the best interest of the football team?
Personal agenda.

I would hope Belichick will do what's best thing for the team, regardless of his age or when he might retire
Stephen, Brian, Patricia, Judge... you think these choices were motivated by "what's best for the team"?

He's also not slow playing a roster build. In fact he hasn't been. He set a record in free agency spending in 2021. He's trying to get back in contention as fast as possible... his personal clock is ticking.

My thought process is as follows:
1) Meat of the '23 draft is late 1st-3rd
2) '24 is a vastly superior draft class, especially at the top
3) Patriots aren't close to a championship team
4) Poorly run teams may see someone they like
5) Poorly run teams usually yield high draft selections
6) Collecting an additional third provides further movement flexibility to maneuver within the sweet spot between 31 and 50.

Am I an idiot? Can you not delay gratification? What say you.

14 is the highest 1st rounder we've had since they took Jerod Mayo in like 2010.

No way I would trade that for a 2024 1st + 3rd, that first rounder could turn into a worse pick than #14 and future picks have less value

Stephen, Brian, Patricia, Judge... you think these choices were motivated by "what's best for the team"?
There's a difference between if they were the best for the team (clearly some of those choices were not) and whether Belichick believed they were. I can't read his mind. But he SHOULD be motivated by what's best for the team.
No way I would trade that for a 2024 1st + 3rd, that first rounder could turn into a worse pick than #14 and future picks have less value
My assumption in the OP's scenario was that there would be a swap of this year's picks, but I guess that's incorrect. In which case I agree with you. I do like the idea of trading down though, lots of holes to fill on this roster. On the other hand, not many blue chippers, which a contending team needs. So I come squarely down on the not sure option I guess lol

If a team that had multiple picks next year wanted to trade a 2nd this year and a 1st next year for #14, I'd seriously consider it..
Great minds think alike DB. :cool:

There's a difference between if they were the best for the team (clearly some of those choices were not) and whether Belichick believed they were. I can't read his mind. But he SHOULD be motivated by what's best for the team.
We can apply some objectivity to the situation. Patricia, for example, had literally no qualifications to be promoted to OC. I highly doubt in Belichick's mind he thought "Matt is the most qualified candidate for OC." Right? I mean he can't be that dumb.

We can apply some objectivity to the situation. Patricia, for example, had literally no qualifications to be promoted to OC. I highly doubt in Belichick's mind he thought "Matt is the most qualified candidate for OC." Right? I mean he can't be that dumb.
BB was saving RK some money Detroit was still paying Fat Matt.

BB was saving RK some money Detroit was still paying Fat Matt.
He was but I think that went 0% into Belichick naming Fat Matt the OC. At least that's I hope.

He was but I think that went 0% into Belichick naming Fat Matt the OC. At least that's I hope.
in 2022 with that pathetic assemblance of a Coaching Staff ie Fatt Matt and Judge coaching out of position. The other Teams were playing chess while BB was playing checkers.
denzel washington checkers GIF

If a team that had multiple picks next year wanted to trade a 2nd this year and a 1st next year for #14, I'd seriously consider it..
We can get a 2nd by just dropping down to the mid 20's in this year's draft, so it would have to be a special deal. Going into next year would depend on who it is.

If it were say AZ, where we'd get pick 34 this year plus a 2024 1st from a bad team, that would be worth considering. I think we'd need a sweetener like their 2023 low 3rd thrown in. With that ammo, we could then trade back up from 34 to the mid-20's for that 3rd + a 4th. So the net of that would be dropping about 10 spots and giving up a 4th in exchange for AZ's 2024 1st, a possible top 10 pick.

I’d take Houston’s two first rounders next year and their 3rd this year for Pats 14.

I don't mind acquiring a 24 1st but you would be an absolute fool to trade your 23 1st straight up. Teams often give up a future first to move up 10-15 spots in the first. In 2021, Miami traded a future 1st to move from 12 to 6. Chicago traded a future 1st to go from 20 to 11 in the same draft. In 2019, NO gave up a future 1st to move from 30 to 14.

Would happily make a similar move this year. We'd need to get a pick in the 20-40 range and a future 1st for me to do it.
Agreed. Just a 3rd round pick feels like way too little compensation to move out of the 1st. A 2nd + future first is usually the price.

It also depends on who you trade with of course. A basement dweller team who is likely to get you a top 10 selection next year would pay less of a price.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back