PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Proud dude today

Congrats @hornetfb85 on seeing one of yours make it.

I grew up in a city of 20,000 that was well known for hockey and had a couple of players make it in the NHL and others who became HC's.

The only person to make it in the NBA was the HC of our HS team who went on to coach in the NBA.

I don't recall any football players making it but I did work in the 90's with a former LB for the Lions.

As for baseball, the politics in that city has just about destroyed baseball by splitting the city up into 3 separate youth leagues and by not keeping score. They never have and probably never will have a baseball player make it in MLB

My son was a catcher on the trinity high school baseball team as a freshman. their senior pitcher was drawing big league scouts to their games. He was drafted in the first round by the Blue Jays. Chris carpenter.

9 inch hands....he’ll never make it.

Kidding. Congrats to Royce and his family.

Well done and congrats, @hornetfb85.

Thank goodness he went to the NFC, so we can continue to have a feel good vibe about this for a while.
If he'd been drafted by an AFC East team, or one of the other AFC rivals, you'd only get a day of grace before the kid became pond scum.:)
Thank ya, have already had a little talk with him about that :thumbsup:

Congrats @hornetfb85 on seeing one of yours make it.

I grew up in a city of 20,000 that was well known for hockey and had a couple of players make it in the NHL and others who became HC's.

The only person to make it in the NBA was the HC of our HS team who went on to coach in the NBA.

I don't recall any football players making it but I did work in the 90's with a former LB for the Lions.

As for baseball, the politics in that city has just about destroyed baseball by splitting the city up into 3 separate youth leagues and by not keeping score. They never have and probably never will have a baseball player make it in MLB
Thanks. Mostly a basketball town around here, but closest think to high major was Lucas O’Rear and his big *** sideburns for Northern Iowa about 10 or so years back.
In baseball Kirk Reuter came out of our HS and had a good mlb career. That’s about it

Years ago, my Algebra 2 teacher, a massive physical specimen, had just been cut by the Redskins and took a last minute teaching job at my school in the middle of nowhere, NH. He was the first and only drafted player out of the D3 college he attended and..........was cut by the Skins within three weeks of arriving at training camp. You could tell the devastation of getting axed haunted him as he tried to adjust to a very different future than the one he surely had mapped out in his head as he dreamed about the NFL. When he wasn't in class, he was a workout warrior who used every free minute to get in better shape. I remember playing golf five miles from campus and there's my teacher doing wind sprints up and down the 9th fairway after jogging to the course. It was close to being psychotic. Took him a year to clear the fog out of his head and let go of his dream.
Good guy, helped me get into college.

My son was a catcher on the trinity high school baseball team as a freshman. their senior pitcher was drawing big league scouts to their games. He was drafted in the first round by the Blue Jays. Chris carpenter.
That’s awesome. As a Cardinals fan, absolutely LOVED the way he pitched.

I know this has absolutely no bearing on Patriot football at all, but wanted to come on here and brag a bit and also ask a question. I live and coach in a very small town in southern Illinois (less than 4000). Today we had our first player drafted, OL Royce Newman, in our schools history. Absolute unreal feeling seeing his name pop up on that screen.
So it got me wondering, are there any coaches on here that have had any of their players get drafted in a sport, doesn’t have to be football.
Congratulations, from a transplanted Bostonian living in Northern Illinois. I love a connection and rejoice when an athlete from my high school achieves greatness. Also, this is your glory.

Congratulations, from a transplanted Bostonian living in Northern Illinois. I love a connection and rejoice when an athlete from my high school achieves greatness. Also, this is your glory.
Thank you. It was an amazing feeling for me yesterday. Can’t imagine what he and his family felt.

I know this has absolutely no bearing on Patriot football at all, but wanted to come on here and brag a bit and also ask a question. I live and coach in a very small town in southern Illinois (less than 4000). Today we had our first player drafted, OL Royce Newman, in our schools history. Absolute unreal feeling seeing his name pop up on that screen.
So it got me wondering, are there any coaches on here that have had any of their players get drafted in a sport, doesn’t have to be football.

Not a coach here, and probably not really relevant, but I was good friends with Raja Bell when we were both at BU. He didn't get along with many people, but we hit it off. He was on the team and I was just a tall white kid who could dunk with authority, and we occasionally played pickup together. We lost touch after he left the school,

Imagine my surprise when I tuned in to watch the '01 NBA finals and saw him on the court, defending Kobe. I just about fell off the couch.

Last edited:
Not a coach here, but I was good friends with Raja Bell when we were both at BU. He didn't get along with many people, but we hit it off. He was on the team and I was just a tall white kid who could dunk with authority, and we occasionally played pickup together. We lost touch after he left the school,

Imagine my surprise when I tuned in to watch the '01 NBA finals and saw him on the court, defending Kobe. I just about fell off the couch.
That’s amazing. Hard nosed player and heck of a defender

Thank you. It was an amazing feeling for me yesterday. Can’t imagine what he and his family felt.

You must be walking on sunshine.

By the way, Katrina and the waves are from my high school. Beat that Pal.

That’s amazing. Hard nosed player and heck of a defender
Very intense on the court.

I know it's not the same thing but it was a great feeling to see a friend succeed like that. You're going to be endlessly reminding people, over and over again about this kid of yours, trust me. When he was playing in the NBA, I never got tired of saying I played ball with Raja. :rofl:

Very intense on the court.

I know it's not the same thing but it was a great feeling to see a friend succeed like that. You're going to be endlessly reminding people, over and over again about this kid of yours, trust me. When he was playing in the NBA, I never got tired of saying I played ball with Raja. :rofl:
I hear ya. Can’t wait to see what his future holds. Has an entire community behind him.

Congratz

Awesome for the community. It’s always fun to see smaller towns/villages have someone « make it ». My village has fewer than 2000. I personally hate hockey, but I can’t imagine the pandemonium around here if someone made the NHL. A few guys from a neighbouring town made it and people still talk about it.

Why do you "personally hate" hockey?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back