PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Proud dude today

hornetfb85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I know this has absolutely no bearing on Patriot football at all, but wanted to come on here and brag a bit and also ask a question. I live and coach in a very small town in southern Illinois (less than 4000). Today we had our first player drafted, OL Royce Newman, in our schools history. Absolute unreal feeling seeing his name pop up on that screen.
So it got me wondering, are there any coaches on here that have had any of their players get drafted in a sport, doesn’t have to be football.

Awesome for the community. It’s always fun to see smaller towns/villages have someone « make it ». My village has fewer than 2000. I personally hate hockey, but I can’t imagine the pandemonium around here if someone made the NHL. A few guys from a neighbouring town made it and people still talk about it.

The closest I've been to knowing an NFL player was a guy I served with that had made it to the final cut of the NFL expansion team, the Panthers. At the time I wondered how in the world did he not make that team because he was a physical and mental specimen. Smart as shyt, fast as shyt and strong as shyt. Unbelievable.

Just making it to the nfl is a huge accomplishment. Kudos to your guy.

The closest I've been to knowing an NFL player was a guy I served with that had made it to the final cut of the NFL expansion team, the Panthers. At the time I wondered how in the world did he not make that team because he was a physical and mental specimen. Smart as shyt, fast as shyt and strong as shyt. Unbelievable.

Just making it to the nfl is a huge accomplishment. Kudos to your guy.
Thank ya :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know this has absolutely no bearing on Patriot football at all, but wanted to come on here and brag a bit and also ask a question. I live and coach in a very small town in southern Illinois (less than 4000). Today we had our first player drafted, OL Royce Newman, in our schools history. Absolute unreal feeling seeing his name pop up on that screen.
So it got me wondering, are there any coaches on here that have had any of their players get drafted in a sport, doesn’t have to be football.
Congratulations. I know you’re feeling total pride today. Make it last! :thumbsup:

I coached Josh Ball in baseball, never football. He and my son are still friends. He was drafted by the Cowboys today in the 4th round. Have a few more I coached in football that will have legitimate shots at the NFL over the next few years.

Great work, coach! Has to be surreal. Can’t say I’ve ever coached any, as I haven’t coached football, but have played with or against multiple guys during the high school or college level who entered the NFL. Each had that “you know they’re special” vibe.

I coached Josh Ball in baseball, never football. He and my son are still friends. He was drafted by the Cowboys today in the 4th round. Have a few more I coached in football that will have legitimate shots at the NFL over the next few years.
That’s awesome.

Great work, coach! Has to be surreal. Can’t say I’ve ever coached any, as I haven’t coached football, but have played with or against multiple guys during the high school or college level who entered the NFL. Each had that “you know they’re special” vibe.
Thank ya. Absolutely was. Multiple times today just stopped and really thought about how incredibly rare and awesome it s.

Congrats I remember us talking about Newman I believe. I had a 3rd on him, I definitely believe he belongs in the league! Very nice athlete with versatility. Rooting for him!

I don't coach but am from a weird, crazy-ass town called Charlestown that had some incredible athletes over the years. Small town, mile long that Boston would rather forget about lol and often doesn't even recognize. Anyway we had a lot of great athletes come through here.
Mostly hockey players. My uncle played for the Northstars and Whalers. He probably wasn't the best of the family. My other uncle was supposedly great but took a different path in life lol. Howie Long was born in Somerville but raised in Ctown on Bunker Hill St. We got 3 main streets lol, Main, Bunker & Medford. Grizzy is the latest kid to make it. I know a few others are playing or at least got a shot. The Hayes brothers might as well be from Ctown. That's a good family. Same with the Grizzy's. Both fathers were very active, steered them right big-time. Shabazz Napier wasn't from here but basically grew up playing in the Ctown high gym. I was down there a lot, I loved shooting hoops and it was two minutes from my house. You wouldn't have put money on him making it out of his friends. He always had talent but wasn't the most talented. Always had crazy defensive skills but there we're others who could jump out the gym and had crazy handles. I'll never forget watching him his first year at UConn. He made huge strides in terms of shooting, understanding spacing.

Common theme is all those guys were workers. When others were getting drunk or high they were sleeping getting ready for some AAU camp or w/e. They put in the work and at least in the Hayes/Grizzy cases they had involved parents that didn't take any **** and had structure. I don't know Napier's situation more then watching him and his friends play, being around them.

It's very cool for so many reasons. We watch these guys on TV and kind of idolize them but knowing someone puts it on another level. It's just different. Definitely lots of pride and happiness though. Guys from down the street making it in a 1% profession is awesome.

caught up drugs & crime. Our specialty were robbing banks, Grizzy is the latest.

Jesus my family might have had at least one other NHL player if they didn't

Congrats I remember us talking about Newman I believe. I had a 3rd on him, I definitely believe he belongs in the league! Very nice athlete with versatility. Rooting for him!

I don't coach but am from a weird, crazy-ass town called Charlestown that had some incredible athletes over the years. Small town, mile long that Boston would rather forget about lol and often doesn't even recognize. Anyway we had a lot of great athletes come through here.
Mostly hockey players. My uncle played for the Northstars and Whalers. He probably wasn't the best of the family. My other uncle was supposedly great but took a different path in life lol. Howie Long was born in Somerville but raised in Ctown on Bunker Hill St. We got 3 main streets lol, Main, Bunker & Medford. Grizzy is the latest kid to make it. I know a few others are playing or at least got a shot. The Hayes brothers might as well be from Ctown. That's a good family. Same with the Grizzy's. Both fathers were very active, steered them right big-time. Shabazz Napier wasn't from here but basically grew up playing in the Ctown high gym. I was down there a lot, I loved shooting hoops and it was two minutes from my house. You wouldn't have put money on him making it out of his friends. He always had talent but wasn't the most talented. Always had crazy defensive skills but there we're others who could jump out the gym and had crazy handles. I'll never forget watching him his first year at UConn. He made huge strides in terms of shooting, understanding spacing.

Common theme is all those guys were workers. When others were getting drunk or high they were sleeping getting ready for some AAU camp or w/e. They put in the work and at least in the Hayes/Grizzy cases they had involved parents that didn't take any **** and had structure. I don't know Napier's situation more then watching him and his friends play, being around them.

It's very cool for so many reasons. We watch these guys on TV and kind of idolize them but knowing someone puts it on another level. It's just different. Definitely lots of pride and happiness though. Guys from down the street making it in a 1% profession is awesome.

caught up drugs & crime. Our specialty were robbing banks, Grizzy is the latest.

Jesus my family might have had at least one other NHL player if they didn't
That’s pretty awesome. Absolutely right about being workers. You could just tell he got it, and knew what he needed to do. At the time it was to get a scholarship. Kid was a grinder and put in the work. That sounds so cliche but it is the truth.

That’s pretty awesome. Absolutely right about being workers. You could just tell he got it, and knew what he needed to do. At the time it was to get a scholarship. Kid was a grinder and put in the work. That sounds so cliche but it is the truth.
Absolutely 100%

Most people have noooooo idea how hard it is. The determination, discipline and sacrifice it takes ... Daily.

Yea you have to be a fighter and not afraid to put in the work. Plus on the parenting side - I see it so much looking at these kids coming out. The parents do an absolutely wonderful job at providing structure. Instilling the discipline and sacrifice it takes to work out, practice in the drive way or down the gym after real practice. All that builds up confidence so these kids believe in themselves which is huge at that age.

Again congrats. I'm happy for him. He's got some real talent for sure.

Absolutely 100%

Most people have noooooo idea how hard it is. The determination, discipline and sacrifice it takes ... Daily.

Yea you have to be a fighter and not afraid to put in the work. Plus on the parenting side - I see it so much looking at these kids coming out. The parents do an absolutely wonderful job at providing structure. Instilling the discipline and sacrifice it takes to work out, practice in the drive way or down the gym after real practice. All that builds up confidence so these kids believe in themselves which is huge at that age.

Again congrats. I'm happy for him. He's got some real talent for sure.
Thanks again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well done and congrats, @hornetfb85.

Thank goodness he went to the NFC, so we can continue to have a feel good vibe about this for a while.
If he'd been drafted by an AFC East team, or one of the other AFC rivals, you'd only get a day of grace before the kid became pond scum.:)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back