PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projected Rosters by Commentators

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I don't see a thread for posting and discussing projected rosters by journalists that cover the Pats.

Let's start off with a controversial one from Alex Barth:

Controversial aspects:

Cunningham on roster as 3rd QB - that lets you use him as an emergency QB even if not on the active gameday roster.

Cuts Harris, assuming he can stay on PS. (Adds RB to be determined)

6 WRs

Only two TEs - may be viable in the short run with elevations from PS

Cuts Sidy Sow - unprecedented for 4th round pick

Cuts Carl Davis (unlikely I think) and Bledsoe.

Carries two kickers - not going to happen in my view - instead we might see Folk traded to Cowboys (his hometown). Likely we can't stash Folk on PS because of Cowboys who need a kicker.

Bedard has a more conventional take (this from a week ago):

Last edited:
Perry - nothing controversial here - everyone is now going with 3 QBs.

I like Perry's projection. Only change is I will take Boutte for Speed . And Myles Bryant would not make the team . Probably Practice squad elevation.

Well the Belichick-special-teams-only-guys are dropping like flies - first Heilig and now Mitchell. With Cody Davis perhaps heading for PUP/Reserve we are now down to a reasonable number.

Alex Barth now more like the consensus (e.g., Citi Sow back in) except for still two kickers:

Surprised he left Davis off the 53 but also didn't know he was in when GB ran wild up the middle...

We reach the position of another player right on the Patriots’ roster bubble – nose tackle Carl Davis. One one hand, the Patriots struggled against the run on Saturday night which could be a sign they need more big bodies in the middle of their defensive line. On the other hand, Davis was on the field for many of those plays, and struggled to close lanes at the point of attack.

Surprised he left Davis off the 53 but also didn't know he was in when GB ran wild up the middle...

Need a backup NT, and risky to put Davis on the PS. And GB's success running might have more to do with missing Bentley than anything else.

Callahan podcast - this is I think is a pretty close to reality projection, although fans won't like it (Munson, Montgomery in; Cunningham, Pierre Strong and Boutte are out):

Is there really any point keeping 3 te’s? Pretty sure anyone after henry/geiseki would make it to the ps and you could just call one up if geiseckis not ready week 1 or whenever one of them get hurt.

I feel like you gotta find a way to keep douglas and boutte.

Is there really any point keeping 3 te’s? Pretty sure anyone after henry/geiseki would make it to the ps

I agree. Part of the art of these projections is who will be safe on the PS for a few weeks while injuries get sorted out. All the better if they are a vet and don't have to pass waivers. I think most of our backup TE's fall comfortably into that category.

Bedard is the one that has figured this aspect out best.

Useful historical comparators (note Slater has been counted as a WR):

Gets cut off, so here in full:

1692725726929.png

I hate to say it, but this is a year we could really use Slater's spot on a 6th WR, or 5th CB.
Do we have a surprise retirement in the next 2 weeks?

I dont see JJ Taylor gone at all.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back