PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Problem with Harrison/Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
italia44 said:
Has anyone noticed that in the first 2 games so far,the Pats have flip-flopped their safeties?I think they are trying to cover up for Rodney's lack of mobility(he looks really slow).They're playing Wilson up in the box in run support and also he's been covering the slot receiver like he did with Laverneus Coles last week.Not to make excuses,but I think a factor in Wilson's poor play is that the guy has got to be exhausted from all these extra duties.
If I've noticed it,you can be sure Shanahan has and may try to go after Harrison on those deep post patterns they like to run.
What do you think?

hey bud--if it hasn't been said, welcome to the forums--read some of your posts and you seem to have both a keen eye and understanding for the game. i'd say you are picking up on something but analyzing it differently from how I would. i would say that, based upon my own experience with major knee reconstruction, RH is still recovering from lateral strength and flexibility--primarily the 'first step'. you'll never hear anyone involved with the team confirm this until well after the season, but it makes absolute sense that, even though RH has regained his straight-line 'first step' and much of his speed, he is still working at regaining his lateral quickness and flexibility.

so the question becomes:

RH at 70%
or
Hawkins at 100%

?

(i'll take RH at 60% for his presence alone)

Flying Fungi said:
hey bud--if it hasn't been said, welcome to the forums--read some of your posts and you seem to have both a keen eye and understanding for the game. i'd say you are picking up on something but analyzing it differently from how I would. i would say that, based upon my own experience with major knee reconstruction, RH is still recovering from lateral strength and flexibility--primarily the 'first step'. you'll never hear anyone involved with the team confirm this until well after the season, but it makes absolute sense that, even though RH has regained his straight-line 'first step' and much of his speed, he is still working at regaining his lateral quickness and flexibility.

so the question becomes:

RH at 70%
or
Hawkins at 100%

?

(i'll take RH at 60% for his presence alone)
Thanks for the kind words....tough being a "newbie" sometimes.I,also,think Harrison will be ok,but I suspect Shanahan is looking at the same thing I am and will try to exploit this.I guess it/s kind of a "value"thing here,i.e.Rodney's intrinsic,leadership value,vis a vis,his recovery from a major injury.

italia44 said:
Thanks for the kind words....tough being a "newbie" sometimes.I,also,think Harrison will be ok,but I suspect Shanahan is looking at the same thing I am and will try to exploit this.I guess it/s kind of a "value"thing here,i.e.Rodney's intrinsic,leadership value,vis a vis,his recovery from a major injury.

exactly why I think the shuffling that you point out is occurring--to cover for RH's current weaknesses--we all seem to suffer from the same amnesia--this guy shouldn't even be sniffing the practice field right now--and yet he is out there giving 200% with his 70%...truly an amazing role model for the younger players!

I'm of the impression that Geno is the one who is being "covered up" by the change in safety play. Harrison doesn't seem to lack any discernable about of past mobility, but he's yet to regain his big-hit form.

Geno looks out of place at least once a series and has been overplaying angles severely. He's gotta get that straightened out.

IMO, Harrison looks tenative. Did I expect him to bust heads. No. Your old, you come back from an injury, it's atleast gonna take a little while to get your wheels spinning before your goin nuts again. But Rodney has not looked the same yet. Then again, Brady has looked like **** the past two games. I don't think that will continue either ;)

BionicPatriot said:
IMO, Harrison looks tenative. Did I expect him to bust heads. No. Your old, you come back from an injury, it's atleast gonna take a little while to get your wheels spinning before your goin nuts again. But Rodney has not looked the same yet. Then again, Brady has looked like **** the past two games. I don't think that will continue either ;)

We have played a whole 2 regular season games.

In the first pre-season game I thought that Rodney did look a little tenative. But, since then he has been getting into it more and more. I think it's now more of him getting his timing back.

Today would be a good day for him to show that he is all the way back.

Tom also needs to develope timing and trust with the new receivers . I don't think that he's looked like **** and has come up big when it has been on the line.

PATSNUTme said:
Tom also needs to develope timing and trust with the new receivers . I don't think that he's looked like **** and has come up big when it has been on the line.

I agree. Tom certainly hasn't been up to the standards we are used to but in classic Tom ways he has gotten it done when he needs to. He hasn't looked great by any means but he hasn't looked as bad as some are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe