PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Problem with Harrison/Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia44

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that in the first 2 games so far,the Pats have flip-flopped their safeties?I think they are trying to cover up for Rodney's lack of mobility(he looks really slow).They're playing Wilson up in the box in run support and also he's been covering the slot receiver like he did with Laverneus Coles last week.Not to make excuses,but I think a factor in Wilson's poor play is that the guy has got to be exhausted from all these extra duties.
If I've noticed it,you can be sure Shanahan has and may try to go after Harrison on those deep post patterns they like to run.
What do you think?

I don't think Rodney has looked particularly slow.

Rodney looks really slow?? I havent really noticed. Hey Box, have you seen Rodney to be real slow in your breakdown?

I think that you have just commited blasphemy!:mad:

Gino's problems go back to last year and it's poor tackling. Blaming Rodney for his tackling problems is letting him off the hook. And, he is a cover safety so seeing him covering the slot is not unusual.

I haven't seen Rodney get beat. I also have not seen Rodney make a heat seeking missle hit yet this year.

Last year I thought that Gino's problem was that he was playing with an injured shoulder. This year I don't think he is keeping his head up when he is tackling.

Rodney is coming along fine and wil have a breakout game soon. He will win Comeback Player of the Year and will make the Pro Bowl. Also he and the rest of the team will win another SB.

italia44 said:
Has anyone noticed that in the first 2 games so far,the Pats have flip-flopped their safeties?I think they are trying to cover up for Rodney's lack of mobility(he looks really slow).They're playing Wilson up in the box in run support and also he's been covering the slot receiver like he did with Laverneus Coles last week.Not to make excuses,but I think a factor in Wilson's poor play is that the guy has got to be exhausted from all these extra duties.
If I've noticed it,you can be sure Shanahan has and may try to go after Harrison on those deep post patterns they like to run.
What do you think?
I'm talking about side to side mobility,that's why he's not up in the box,look at the Jets'game Wilson od Chad Scott were playing Tight Safety,not Harrison.

I think if Rodney was as slow as you say then they would have started Hawkins or Sanders instead. Hawkins filled in well last year and I think they were somewhat comfortable with him last year. If Rodney was still being affected that badly by his injury the team would not have very hesitant to put Hawkins in.

zippo59 said:
I think if Rodney was as slow as you say then they would have started Hawkins or Sanders instead. Hawkins filled in well last year and I think they were somewhat comfortable with him last year. If Rodney was still being affected that badly by his injury the team would not have very hesitant to put Hawkins in.
Saunders and Hawkins were both inactive last week.

italia44 said:

But the first week both were healthy and I know Hawkins played but I'm not sure about Sanders. Surely the problems you speak of have affected him in both games. I don't see how if it is true they would suddenly pop up in the Jets game but not hinder him in the Bills game.

Edit: Also Sanders was active during the Jets game. He got hurt during the game, but that wouldn't have kept him from getting the start.

Last edited:
italia44 said:
sorry.I meant Hawkins was out injured and Saunders was hurt on the opening play against the Jets an d didn't play the rest of the game.

italia44 said:
sorry.I meant Hawkins was out injured and Saunders was hurt on the opening play against the Jets an d didn't play the rest of the game.

SANDERS not SAUNDERS

ty

italia44 said:

Aren't the starting lineups given before the game starts? We would know if Sanders was slated to start even if he got hurt.

Remix 6 said:
SANDERS not SAUNDERS

ty
Ok,you win,I misspelled,SANDERS name,ergo my argument is specious.

why would it make sense for rodney to cover the pass at FS when he is slower? SS would be the more logical position to cover if he were slower.

PATSNUTme said:
I think that you have just commited blasphemy!:mad:

Gino's problems go back to last year and it's poor tackling. Blaming Rodney for his tackling problems is letting him off the hook. And, he is a cover safety so seeing him covering the slot is not unusual.

I haven't seen Rodney get beat. I also have not seen Rodney make a heat seeking missle hit yet this year.

Last year I thought that Gino's problem was that he was playing with an injured shoulder. This year I don't think he is keeping his head up when he is tackling.

Rodney is coming along fine and wil have a breakout game soon. He will win Comeback Player of the Year and will make the Pro Bowl. Also he and the rest of the team will win another SB.
Yikes!I'm not attacking Rodney or covering for Wilson,I'm simply stating that I suspect that we are perhaps covering for Rodney until he gets into better shape,that's why he's at free safety.Sanders(spelled correctly)was active,but was hurt on the opening kickoff and didn't play the rest of the game.

italia44 said:
Yikes!I'm not attacking Rodney or covering for Wilson,I'm simply stating that I suspect that we are perhaps covering for Rodney until he gets into better shape,that's why he's at free safety.Sanders(spelled correctly)was active,but was hurt on the opening kickoff and didn't play the rest of the game.

As previously stated by Digger, I don't see the logic in your argument. FS is the one which requires more speed, while SS is more like a linebacker in the secondary. The SS is usually slower but bigger and more physical, delivering the big hits. If there was a problem with Harrison's speed why would they move him to the position which requires more of it?

zippo59 said:
As previously stated by Digger, I don't see the logic in your argument. FS is the one which requires more speed, while SS is more like a linebacker in the secondary. The SS is usually slower but bigger and more physical, delivering the big hits. If there was a problem with Harrison's speed why would they move him to the position which requires more of it?
Again,I'm talking about side to side mobility,Wilson was covering the slot receiver and Pennington doesn't throw many long passes requiring Harrison to cover deep.

It is also my impression that Rodney and Geno have been used differently.

Geno was in coverage more in the Jest game and not playing the deep centerfielder position, Rodney did that more then I remember him doing in the past. In the Jest game, I believe Chad Scott was in playing more safety too. We lost both reserve safeties for that game, I think Rodney probably took more snaps than they might have liked for him to take.

Sorry for no breakdowns, I've got some other things going on and just haven't found the energy to curl up with the remote and watch some slow motion.

Box_O_Rocks said:
It is also my impression that Rodney and Geno have been used differently.

Geno was in coverage more in the Jest game and not playing the deep centerfielder position, Rodney did that more then I remember him doing in the past. In the Jest game, I believe Chad Scott was in playing more safety too. We lost both reserve safeties for that game, I think Rodney probably took more snaps than they might have liked for him to take.

Sorry for no breakdowns, I've got some other things going on and just haven't found the energy to curl up with the remote and watch some slow motion.

If that is true then it is likely the Pats were changing his position to lighten his load because they don't want to go to hard on his knee at this point than because he has shortcomings due to his injury.

Digger44 said:
why would it make sense for rodney to cover the pass at FS when he is slower? SS would be the more logical position to cover if he were slower.
lol

you haven't the slightest clue as to what you are talking about
:singing:

NEM said:
I hope he DOES try to go after Rodney....

Hello Receiver...Meet Rodney...CRASH.

This would be the perfect game for Rodney and the Safety blitz on Plummer.

guys like Rod have been against Rodney plenty..he was their rival chargers before..had to of taken a big hit at least once in his career from Rodney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe