PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predictions for '16 FAs

If i had to guess, they will extend Hightower and Collins this summer. Both Butler and Ryan getting deals may be a reach. I see it as an either or this summer with them. They may want to try and get Ryan locked up to put some pressure on Butler to sign early, and as a bit of early insurance. They could also not value the 2nd CB spot like we do, and see that as a position they could make work with cheaper options. If they do get Butler signed, I doubt there would be much upfront money (5-8mil) since there will be enough other signing bonuses to take care of first.

Chandler Jones I was skeptical they would pay before the recent incident, so I will be really interested to see how that plays out. They may just let him play out his last year and let him walk, or see if there is a market for him this summer. Who knows?

I think the issue with letting Chandler go is who becomes the replacement. I would presume it would be Jabaal Sheard with Flowers being Nink's long-term replacement. But, if they let Jones go, they should focus on giving Sheard an extension.

I think the issue with letting Chandler go is who becomes the replacement. I would presume it would be Jabaal Sheard with Flowers being Nink's long-term replacement. But, if they let Jones go, they should focus on giving Sheard an extension.

We are in full agreement there. Which adds another interesting question: If they have to give him a big deal to lower the cap hit, does that prevent other deals from getting done?

Outside of the stolen draft pick, this is the best summer for armchair GMing. Lots of what ifs? and so many diffferent fun possibilities.

Cannon.... goodbye. With that cut alone, you're saving 3.7 million. With the cap rising 10 million, the extra 300k to 1 million isn't very much. Yes Massi doesn't offer the versatility that Cannon does, but with Andrews and last years interior OL picks , I think Tackle depth is much more of a concern that interior depth.

Thats why I mentioned Jones being a cap casualty. Collins and Hightower are must keeps. I think we should look to extend Bulter this season, If we could grab him for like 7 million a season, 3-5 seasons, that would be Amazing. 8-9 would be acceptable.

Clearly you aren't paying attention. The Pats only have about 5.6M is cap space currently for 2016. And that is AFTER the cap goes up. So, this great idea of cutting Cannon to "save $3.7M" (It would only save 3.25M) isn't enough to do the extensions to people like Collins, Hightower, Butler and Ryan AND sign someone like Massie.

It helps to read the entire post you quote so that you understand the limitations for your answer.

Clearly you aren't paying attention. The Pats only have about 5.6M is cap space currently for 2016. And that is AFTER the cap goes up. So, this great idea of cutting Cannon to "save $3.7M" (It would only save 3.25M) isn't enough to do the extensions to people like Collins, Hightower, Butler and Ryan AND sign someone like Massie.

It helps to read the entire post you quote so that you understand the limitations for your answer.

Im sorry, but I don't need to treat you like an idiot and breakdown everything that could happen, and things that I believe should happen, and other things that more then likely will happen, do I? For instance Cutting Mayo and freeing up 7 million right there. They can easily clear up a bunch of things to make 15 million, and more then likely will do so. They may also be able to save a bunch this coming season by extending Hightower, jones, etc etc.
Finding a extra million to pay out for an upgrade/replacement, and depth, at a position of need shouldn't be a problem.

[W]e need athleticism - lots more - than what Massie gives. We already have plenty of fat, right side-only blobs polluting the roster.

Yes, be cause a guy who is 350lbs and 10% body fat is such a fat blob :rolleyes:
Massie may be all that, but there is simply no room for him here, especially at the money he will be offered elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think after today's game it's clear as day. Cannon has to go. He stood no chance against Von miller. I know not many tackles usually stand a chance against him but if you watched it wasn't even competitive. He couldn't get a hand on him or couldn't even stand in his way at least. I also know that he's a decent backup but to think how much he's getting paid to hopefully ride the bench is mind numbing. If he were to rework his deal than id be ok with him staying here. But as it stands right now, he shouldn't make the roster.

I wrote this in another thread

This is how I would like to see it played out. I am going under the assumption we will have over $20 million in space after the cap rises and we make some cuts (Mayo, Lafell, etc..) and some restructures.

I used the website 2016 NFL Free Agents Tracker for FA information and on many of the players they give a projection on what the market value will be for the player which is what I used for my numbers if there was a projection for that particular player. It looks like they came to their market value by comparing the player to 4 similar players at their position and similar age.

WR - Marvin Jones - $5.5 million per yearMarvin Jones
If this figure is close I think it's a good pick up. He is an instant upgrade on Lafell and can open up the field for others. I would offer a 4 yr deal.

RB - Lamar Miller - $5 million per year Lamar Miller
24 years old so a lot of tread left on his tires. 4 yr deal and we would have a great backfield with Miller and Lewis.

OG - Ritchie Incognito - $2.5 million per year
Richie Incognito
2 yr deal for the vet who will toughen up the line. They didn't give a projection for his market value but he made $1.1 million last year and kept his nose clean for the year so he will get a raise on the open market.

That's $13 million on 3 FA's who would help our team at positions of need. Other interesting FA's to keep an eye on are Kelvin Beachum who is up and coming but tore his ACL last year. He may have to take an under value contract because of it. They have a market value of $4.3 million for Travis Benjamen who would be a good alternative if we can't land Jones.

With the remainder of money we have the draft and also can potentially look to lock up some of our younger players. In the draft I'm targeting the tackle position with either our 2nd or 3rd rounders. We need to add depth there and I'm also looking at CB and LB in the draft.

OG - Ritchie Incognito - $2.5 million per year Richie Incognito
2 yr deal for the vet who will toughen up the line. They didn't give a projection for his market value but he made $1.1 million last year and kept his nose clean for the year so he will get a raise on the open market.

Nope. No. No. Nein. I don't want this piece of **** human being on the team I support. He can stay the **** in Buffalo and keep cheap shotting players and sexually harassing volunteers there.

Also, I think you are too low on your estimates what Lamar Miller will make in FA.

If this figure is close I think it's a good pick up. He is an instant upgrade on Lafell and can open up the field for others. I would offer a 4 yr deal.

24 years old so a lot of tread left on his tires. 4 yr deal and we would have a great backfield with Miller and Lewis.

Richie Incognito

I have a a feeling that jones and miller might be alittle more pricey than the numbers you have there. Also I would rather have Evan Mathis than incognito.

But what do you guys think of rishard Matthews as a replacement for lafell. They both seem similar in body type and play style. I'm just afraid of free agent receivers coming here because of how hard it is to understand the playbook and build chemistry with Brady. Lafell was a strange case and one reason I don't want to release him.

Richie Incognito

I have a a feeling that jones and miller might be alittle more pricey than the numbers you have there. Also I would rather have Evan Mathis than incognito.

But what do you guys think of rishard Matthews as a replacement for lafell. They both seem similar in body type and play style. I'm just afraid of free agent receivers coming here because of how hard it is to understand the playbook and build chemistry with Brady. Lafell was a strange case and one reason I don't want to release him.

I think some people here will be in for a rude awakening when we end up with no substantial draft pick at guard and also only 1-2 solid but unexciting veteran signings during the late weeks of FA.

I guess it will be the same or even worse as last years Revispocalypse..

Hope there will be some unexpected big FA signing at RB or WR to distract people otherwise we are in for another unbearable offseason..

To be fair, the dollars should be available for some free agent spending if they so choose, unlike last summer.

Quick question: Would you rather keep Chandler Jones or sign Osemele?

My prediction for our '16 free agents

1. Hightower signs extension in Feb/March. 5 years $52m, $20m guaranteed.
2. Butler signs extension in Feb/March. 5 years $28m. We get a starting corner at a bargain price because we have his rights for very little the next two years (can't remember exactly but around $3-4m for the next two years). Not sure an undrafted free agent can turn down that type of security.
3. Sheard signs for 3 further years $21m, $12m guaranteed. This seems an obvious Pats move. They don't see much different between Jones and Sheard but the difference in contracts can be up to 6m a year.
4. Collins plays out his final year because I feel he is looking for big cash. We try and get something sorted before March next year.
5. Jones plays out his year and we either trade him or let him go for a 3rd round comp pick next year. Can't see us paying the $12m+ a year it will take to sign him.
6. Logan Ryan potentially signs for 4 years 20m. A sort of Kyle Arrington type contract.

I think some people here will be in for a rude awakening when we end up with no substantial draft pick at guard and also only 1-2 solid but unexciting veteran signings during the late weeks of FA.

I guess it will be the same or even worse as last years Revispocalypse..

Hope there will be some unexpected big FA signing at RB or WR to distract people otherwise we are in for another unbearable offseason..

I disagree. BB seems heated about what went down, and they will have cap space, unlike last offseason. I don't expect crazy fireworks, 2007 style, but I would expect a few surprises and a few aggressive moves.

I disagree. BB seems heated about what went down, and they will have cap space, unlike last offseason. I don't expect crazy fireworks, 2007 style, but I would expect a few surprises and a few aggressive moves.

I think it could go either way. I imagine BB and Kraft are pisses that this year slipped away from them when the title was there for the taking.

That could leave them with two ideas. 1, that they just needed some better luck health wise next year for a better result. Or 2, that they won't let health be an excuse and they reload for a big three years.

I could believe both as possibilities, but it could become a very expensive summer for kraft either way.

I have no idea why anyone would think that "BB is heated" or "angry" or whatever. You realize that even if would have gone to the SB and won the game that most of those offseason moves in the front office and coaching staff would have happened, right ?

According to some beat reporter sources Googs was saying for weeks that he thinks he will be out of a job at the end of the season. Not extending those contracts was not knee-jerk reactions to that loss in Denver but cumulative result of issues piling up over the last few seasons.

Again, believe what you want but when I look at our drafting history I see no reason to think that BB & co. will pay any extra attention to weak position groupings of the previous year. You don't draft for immediate need... that's a fool's errand.

The interior OL was mostly manned by very inexperienced players for the entire year. People tend to talk about the "rookie wall" and the "second year jump" not because of blind optimism but because this is very often what occurs. I have said it before but in hindsight what really hurt us this year were the retirement of Connolly and Wendell going to IR. Nobody would have believed it in September and October but missing those experienced, solid veteran players for situations like an AFCCG in Denver turned out to be a killer.

Quote me when it turns out I was wrong in a few months but I don't see us investing a lot of FA or draft resources into the interior OL. As was said by many others before the most realistic target are 1-2 OT in the draft with a couple of uninspiring but solid and experienced veteran guard signings in the late stages of FA.

Also we don't have that much capspace unless you don't see extending Hightower, Collins, Butler and maybe Jones as a priority. I know we can wait a year with Butler and Collins but spending big money on FA is money we can't carry with us into next year that can then be used for the extension.

I would actually love to see the patriots bring back Blount and either draft a running back or a Bounce back vet like foster. The idea would be the same in both cases, Blount and the other rb split carries much like Blount and Ridley did in 2013. Blount can be such an odd Case, his 4.2 yards per carry look good but we all saw how the running game would disappear. This would also allow Lewis to hopefully work his way back from his acl and while five running backs isn't ideal we have seen that Bolden has been primarily a special teams guy the last two seasons

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back