PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: Unexpected first pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler was a 2nd round pick that year, not a 1st. The first player selected by the Pats that year was Chung, at the top of the 2nd. We didn't draft a player in the first round that year.

That said, I 100% agree with you. Contrary to popular philosphy, BB drafts for NEED!! lol to all the draft gurus who talk about BPA.

Great job reading there. I said the 1st PICK. Not 1st round pick. Guess you need to work on your reading..

That being said, you're right, Chung was the 1st pick.. Thanks for that correction.

Fact check - for a poster who often comes down hard on other posters who don't have their facts straight.

Light was not the first guy picked in 2000. He was picked the same year as Seymour. BB's first pick in 2000 was Adrian Klemm. Klemm played sparingly as a rookie.

I have never claimed to be perfect. Only people like yourself make those erroneous claims and prove how foolish you are in the long run..

A fact check for you. Pioli wasn't with the team during the 2000 draft. Hence, no mention of Klemm.. Thanks for playing.. Oh, I had forgotten that Light and Seymour were the same year.. Klemm wasn't on my radar..

Butler was not the first pick in 2009, as pointed out by rookBoston. Chung was the first pick. He played almost exclusively on special teams.

Special Teams is 1/3 of the game. Chung had a major impact there. It led, directly, to Aiken losing his job..

Meriweather had a marginal impact as a rookie, nor was he intended to. Merriweather, Maroney, Chung, and McCourty were not intended to be significant contributors as rookies when they were drafted. Although I would say that all were looked at as starters in year 2.

Meriweather had an impact as a rookie on Special Teams. Clearly you don't think that special teams matter... Meriweather also saw time at corner and at safety as a rookie.

Instead of making dumb assumptions or putting words into people's mouths, just stick to what is actually said. You would look a lot more intelligent that way.

Purely hypothetical question: if BB knew that Brady would retire in year X, do you think he'd consider spending a first on a QB the year before?

That depends on what was already on the team in terms of QBs behind Brady.

I have never claimed to be perfect. Only people like yourself make those erroneous claims and prove how foolish you are in the long run..

A fact check for you. Pioli wasn't with the team during the 2000 draft. Hence, no mention of Klemm.. Thanks for playing.. Oh, I had forgotten that Light and Seymour were the same year.. Klemm wasn't on my radar..

Special Teams is 1/3 of the game. Chung had a major impact there. It led, directly, to Aiken losing his job..

Meriweather had an impact as a rookie on Special Teams. Clearly you don't think that special teams matter... Meriweather also saw time at corner and at safety as a rookie.

Instead of making dumb assumptions or putting words into people's mouths, just stick to what is actually said. You would look a lot more intelligent that way.

"If you look at every single 1st pick that BB has added since he and Pioli were doing their own draft lists, the Pats have added a player who was supposed to (and did) have an impact in their 1st year."

Those are your words, not mine. So I'm not putting words in your mouth, just correcting your erroneous facts. And instead of getting aggressive like a bull, you should just acknowledge your mistakes and move on. It's quite obvious to the majority of us that BB isn't going to waste a 1st round pick on a QB who will sit for 4 years without trying to prove that every 1st pick was intended to have an immediate impact.

I think that most people feel that the Packers waited at least 1 year too long to go to Aaron Rodgers full time.. That last year there, the Packers made the play-offs despite Favre and they couldn't over-come his interception prone-ness.

That last year Favre had 28 TDs and 15 interceptions, they didn't make the playoffs despite Favre, Favre had a really good year that year.

Idk why I'm arguing about that tho, I agree that a 1st round QB sitting for 3 years isn't the best situation, 1-2 years makes more sense. Regarding the thread though we both agree it would be stupid for them to draft a QB this year.......unless of course Andrew Luck falls to #17 :D

Not sure which is more likely to happen in 2011 - Jake Locker to Pats at 17, Seymour coming back, the Sun burning out, or Jake Locker changing his name to "Dane" with the hope of not being associated with that idiot who didn't declare for the draft in 2010 and threw away millions of dollars.

You saved me countless keystrokes...

ctpatsfan77 said:
Purely hypothetical question: if BB knew that Brady would retire in year X, do you think he'd consider spending a first on a QB the year before?

Why would he do that when the last first round QB he had to try and work with was an impossible system fit for the same reason most of them are, overhyped measurables talent and too much ego to work at their craft... Bill is looking for the intangibles. Sometimes he lets himself get distracted by guys who ultimately lack it because they exhibit athleticism, but they don't last long because they fail to develop the capacity to run a cerebral system. And in most cases to succeed anywhere. But you don't find that out until you get them into your system. If you're gonna roll the dice on landing a QB with the capacity to run this system, best roll 'em in the later rounds.

no way, hoyer is better for us than all of the guys in the draft imo, hes a cheap stud, we wont take a qb early, my prediction is cb, five tech de, ol...and i think we take brandon harris, cameron jordan, or aaron williams with our first pick.

With the ammo that we had in last years draft, nobody was expecting the patriots to move up in the 2nd round to grab Gronk...well with this years draft we have even better ammo and could move anywhere we want...our draft needs are clear the olb & ol positions...i say we move up from pick 17 into the top 10 or even pick 10 to grab Bowen!!!

That move would definetely be unexpected and has the Patriots written all over it.

Everybody's claiming that this is a weak draft but I say lets move around and pick out the gems.

Just thought I would drop in and toss this old gym sock of mine against the wall to see if it stuck. I personally think that the Oakland pick will be used, in one way or another to acquire on of the best interior offensive linemen available in the draft, if its a good year for them (I haven't even looked yet).

Just from an internal perspective, Mankins may be gone, Neal possibly will retire, and even if he doesn't, he's a shadow of his former self, and we are thin behind them (Connelly is capable, but...)

Just thought I would drop in and toss this old gym sock of mine against the wall to see if it stuck. I personally think that the Oakland pick will be used, in one way or another to acquire on of the best interior offensive linemen available in the draft, if its a good year for them (I haven't even looked yet).

Just from an internal perspective, Mankins may be gone, Neal possibly will retire, and even if he doesn't, he's a shadow of his former self, and we are thin behind them (Connelly is capable, but...)

There are no interior O line guys with 1st round grades, the closest is probably Wiesnieski with an early 2nd round grade.

However I would take OG Boling of Georgia with the #64 pick in a heartbeat.

Sorry, but that is absurd.. You don't waste a 1st round pick on a QB to sit on the bench for 4 years.

If you look at every single 1st pick that BB has added since he and Pioli were doing their own draft lists, the Pats have added a player who was supposed to (and did) have an impact in their 1st year.

Light, Seymour, Graham, Warren, Wilfork, Mankins, Maroney, Meriweather, Mayo, Butler, McCourty.

While some of your points are valid, the leap you make with it is laughable.

Tell that to Aaron Rogers and Green Bay. Tell that to the 49ers and Steve Young!! They prepared for the inevitable,when Favre and Montana got old.

Then sell your concept to the Broncos after Elway retired. Or the Jets after Namath was done. Or the Cowboys after Roger Staubach was done. None of them prepared and what was the result?

Successful teams all have a Franchise QB. Period. Its the most Impactful spot on the Team. You either have one or you don't. Meanwhile you guys seem awfully eager to have an 8th DL on the roster, when most of the time only three are on the field at any time. Or an 11th Offensive lineman.

I'm not saying BB WILL draft a QB high, but just when do you expect them to be picking this low again? This Team will be a SB favorite and contender for the next several years.

??
Brady was a 6th round choice.
Cassell was a 7th.
Hoyer was a free agent (and could start if needed as Cassell did)
Belichick drafts a quarterback every year and has comp competition for the backup spot.
========
Personally, I would carry a 3rd quarterback, especially in an expanded roster.

I don't see the point in using a high draft choice for a quarterback that will be needed after four years when his contract is done.

Tell that to Aaron Rogers and Green Bay. Tell that to the 49ers and Steve Young!! They prepared for the inevitable,when Favre and Montana got old.

Then sell your concept to the Broncos after Elway retired. Or the Jets after Namath was done. Or the Cowboys after Roger Staubach was done. None of them prepared and what was the result?

Successful teams all have a Franchise QB. Period. Its the most Impactful spot on the Team. You either have one or you don't. Meanwhile you guys seem awfully eager to have an 8th DL on the roster, when most of the time only three are on the field at any time. Or an 11th Offensive lineman.

I'm not saying BB WILL draft a QB high, but just when do you expect them to be picking this low again? This Team will be a SB favorite and contender for the next several years.

??
Brady was a 6th round choice.
Cassell was a 7th.
Hoyer was a free agent (and could start if needed as Cassell did)
Belichick drafts a quarterback every year and has comp competition for the backup spot.
========
Personally, I would carry a 3rd quarterback, especially in an expanded roster.

I don't see the point in using a high draft choice for a quarterback that will be needed after four years when his contract is done.

As I think I've said before, we may not be so much looking for a replacement right now for Brady, whose contract is up after 2014, as for Hoyer, whose contract is up after next season.

First off, the Packers drafted Rodgers in part becuae they didnt know if Favre would be playing the next year, the drama queen was often injured and constantly talking of retirement, so it made sense for them.

We have a franchise QB and a backup that can step in and run the offense, to draft a high ranking QB lessens our chances of winning in the near future. Our odds of winning a SB would be MUCH higher with a stud OLB or DE than with a QB.

I predict that BB will pick an unexpected position with his first pick.

He will draft a QB if one such as Dane Locker slips, as seems probable.
Consider the following:

1) The rosters are expanding making more room.
2) The rookie wage scale will make keeping a third QB on the squad less costly.
3) Brady is 33 and when he is 37, the new QB will be ready.
4) Belichick plans for both now and the future.
5) Belichick prefers QBs who have weathered adversity, and kept their POISE.
Examples:
Brady has to fight off Golden Boy Henson; Hoyer had to play on undermanned Michigan State against Ohio State and Michigan. Cassel had to sit behind two Heismann Trophy winners, Palmer and Leinart.
All were better for the adversity.

6) Locker has all the athletic credentials, size, height, arm strength and RB speed; but a poor team led to a poor season at Washington State.
7) Hoyer looks like a find; whether he can become a franchise QB is debatable.
8) Belichick never depends on a single player at a position, he frequently obtains a few candidates.

First off, the Packers drafted Rodgers in part becuae they didnt know if Favre would be playing the next year, the drama queen was often injured and constantly talking of retirement, so it made sense for them.

We have a franchise QB and a backup that can step in and run the offense, to draft a high ranking QB lessens our chances of winning in the near future. Our odds of winning a SB would be MUCH higher with a stud OLB or DE than with a QB.

Precisely.

I'm a Free Thinker, myself, AzPat, as is Snake Eyes, for that matter, so I salute your brazenness...But that is THE most God Awful idea I've ever read on these pages.

I mean that is just a NIGHTMARISHLY HORRIBLE idea.

If that undisciplined puddle of excrement, Brett Favre, can crank out 33 TD's and 7 Interceptions at the age of 40, you don't think that the fanatically dedicated General Tom Brady ~ who just recently declared his desire to play another 10 years ~ can't at least match Favre, which would mean another 7 years??

5, at the very least??

And you want to burn a FIRST ROUNDER for a REPLACEMENT???

You...are aware that Brady was drafted in the 6th Round...right??

By the way, who the #$%^&* is Dane Locker???

Bad enough that you got the name of the entire SUBJECT of your notion wrong...But you actually REPEATED it. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST