PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict the "What the *%$#@!" Pick

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
You know there's going to be one....

A Matt Cassel who never even took a snap in college. A Duron Harmon or Tavon Wilson who barely registered on draft websites. A Matthew Slater who couldn't crack his college lineup on offense or defense. A Nate Ebner whose best work was on the rugby pitch.

Who is BB going to draft out of left field this year, making Pats fans moan "not again"?

I think he'll play it relatively safe this year with so get picks and needs. Look for guys that Excel on special teams or coverage linebackers.

If I had to pick, two random TEs would be Hayden Plinke and Scott Orndoff. I have no logical basis for this.

I'm thinking that OL is a good position for a WTH pick this year. Maybe a Jylan Ware, Cam Keizur, Kofi Amichia or Storm Norton circa round 5?

Or maybe it will be the position choices that set everybody off. I'm calling it: safety at 72, tight end at 96.

I'm thinking that OL is a good position for a WTH pick this year. Maybe a Jylan Ware, Cam Keizur, Kofi Amichia or Storm Norton circa round 5?

Or maybe it will be the position choices that set everybody off. I'm calling it: safety at 72, tight end at 96.

Safety has been BB's more recent preference, but he could go "old school" and take a WR.

In a so called terrible o-line class, Bill will reach for a developmental tackle in the 3rd round. Not sure who though. Then another safety.

I also wondered about a kicker late on

An OL that no one on this board has mentioned to date

I think there's a possibility of an OL at 72 for sure. Jordan Morgan of Kutztown would be a nice shock although not at 72. But any prospect from Kutztown (PA) has to be a bit of a shock right? Admittedly he was playing against future doctors, shop keepers etc. but he was a dominant run blocker at that level.

Ooh, a challenge! How about:

Thomas Evans, OG/C, Richmond

Squat (6' 3" 305) but immensely strong, respected leader, tested as surprisingly athletic at his pro day (5.15/2.95/1.72 27 30" 09'04" 4.68 7.72), and most importantly, he's ahead of the game in the scary beard department:

EMVBRSNXBULLRHO.20160816021135.jpg

Ooh, a challenge! How about:

Thomas Evans, OG/C, Richmond

Squat (6' 3" 305) but immensely strong, respected leader, tested as surprisingly athletic at his pro day (5.15/2.95/1.72 27 30" 09'04" 4.68 7.72), and most importantly, he's ahead of the game in the scary beard department:

EMVBRSNXBULLRHO.20160816021135.jpg
No body mentioned Ted Karras last year prior to the draft. Just saying

New England trades up into the 2nd Round. And with the New England Patriots select Davis Webb QB California. We're goin into next year 4 deep at QB. I would absolutely love this pick if there is a JG trade

My Draft Contest entry has two OT - Garcia and Davenport.

ICYMI.
I have two OL in my Draft Contest entry - Croston and Asiata. Doesn't mean neither will be picked (well maybe it does since I have never correctly predicted a Pats pick), but the Pats scout many more players then get mention on this board.

I have two OL in my Draft Contest entry - Croston and Asiata. Doesn't mean neither will be picked (well maybe it does since I have never correctly predicted a Pats pick), but the Pats scout many more players then get mention on this board.

Yup. We can only report the ones we hear about.

I've read a couple scouting reports on Asiata that he's very good in a power/man blocking scheme. The Pats run mostly zone-blocking. I suppose that's why they had him in for a visit - to quiz him about his understanding of zone-blocking concepts, read, adjustments, etc.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back