PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope folks realize that a lot of the teams competing right now (TEN, KC, TB, etc) weren't very good that long ago. Even the mainstays like BAL and PIT had a down season here or there due to cap issues and had to retool.

This is par for the course. It just seems exaggerated due to the opt-outs. To be clear, we could see this retool coming before Brady even left -- we saw it last season.

They'll be much better next season, and I anticipate them continuing to compete at a high-level through this decade (pending finding a long-term answer at QB, which is easier said than done).
The Chiefs have not had a losing season since 2012 and have made the playoffs every year since then. The Titans have been 9-7 the last 4 years and have been looking for that one piece to put them over the top. The Bucaneers added the greatest player in the history of the sport. The Steelers and Ravens have both been good forever. The Seahawks haven't had a losing season since Wilson got there. The Packers outside of two seasons have been one of the best teams of the last decade. The Niners did do a complete tear down after Harbaugh left and they rebuilt in several years.

Oh ad all those teams think they have their answer at QB. We don't

He is the GOAT because his mentality is that he would never consider such s as n idea.
If he acts totally opposite of who he is, of course the culture is destroyed.
When do your job and no days off becomes lose on purpose so we can bank the future of the team in a draft pick he should just retire.

You think way too simplistic. It isn't binary like that. The Golden State Warriors tanked twice and it was fine. The Colts did. The Astros and Cubs. Maybe you can't compute but everyone else will be on board with Belichick and a bunch of high picks next year plus 120M of cap room in 2021.

Then it seems we are not on the same page with this. Tanking to me is not “selling”- it is losing games on purpose or deliberately not putting your team in the best position to win in order to improve your draft position. The 2011 Colts didn’t do it, no team does it it doesn’t happen.

And yes I believe Bill is gone if they go 2-14 and I can’t argue against it. This roster has no business losing 14 games.

Bill isn’t gone even if he went 0-16 and ****ed Kraft’s favorite massage therapist. Just stop.

Well you and I both know BB would never do that. He'll compete in each game. He'll want to win each game. That's a given. BB would be more thrilled winning a big game with a bunch of No Names than moving up in the draft a couple of spots.

But if he decides to trade Thuney or Gilmore for picks or assets or cap space he won't lose the locker room.
You aren’t describing tanking.

I’m less bothered about the current team issues and more bothered about what we do now this season.

This team genuinely could’ve made the playoffs which would’ve been exciting no matter what, everybody wants their team to win if possible. Don’t give me any crap that this team isn’t good enough, despite all the opt outs we took Seattle and the Chiefs to the limit and really could’ve won both games in addition to today. That would’ve put us 5-2 and in the driving seat like usual, even if we were 4-3 I’d have had confidence with 2xJets, 1x Bills and 1x Texans.

As it turns out we are on the wrong end of all those close moments and now 2-5. The season is over, we don’t make the playoffs from here with both the Bills and Dolphins looking capable. So do we go full tank and actively hope our team lose every week like some complete chumps or do we keep trying to grind it out and risk ending anywhere between 5-11 and 8-8 (would be some huge results for that).

I really don’t see any point trying to get something out of this season, we’ve had enough success to have a poor rebuilding season but it’s gonna be painful and we better make the most of the draft rather than taking anymore div2 punts.

As for Cam, let’s not forget how well he started even if it was mostly on the ground. Since Covid, he’s been awful but I do feel bad for him and think he should continue to be given a chance.

You think way too simplistic. It isn't binary like that. The Golden State Warriors tanked twice and it was fine. The Colts did. The Astros and Cubs. Maybe you can't compute but everyone else will be on board with Belichick and a bunch of high picks next year plus 120M of cap room in 2021.

That’s just not true. Those teams didn’t tank, and everyone of them win after turning over management.
Yes crappy teams sometimes get good but it’s after cleaning house. I.e. losing destroys the culture so a new culture is brought in. That doesn’t mean losing worked it means changes brought in winning.

I am not a huge college football guy so I have no idea about the QBs in play for next year but I have seen so many "can't miss" QB's in the past 10 years absolutely blow that I have a hard time rooting for my team to lose just to slightly increase their chances of getting a shot at one of them. Titans "tank" for Mariotta - oops, Jags for Bortles - try again, Redkins get RG3 then Haskins - guess not, Jets grab Sanchez then Darnold - maybe 3rd time is a charm? The great class from a few year ago with Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen seems a lot less inspiring right now. If they do end up with a top 5 pick and whoever they picks turns into a top QB then it will be worth it - just not sure the likelihood of it.

If they end up with a top 5 pick I would hope they'd trade that down for more picks.

That’s just not true. Those teams didn’t tank, and everyone of them win after turning over management.
Yes crappy teams sometimes get good but it’s after cleaning house. I.e. losing destroys the culture so a new culture is brought in. That doesn’t mean losing worked it means changes brought in winning.

Your position is very odd. Reminds me of some past posters who also made no sense trying to argue one against 5 people. Of COURSE none of those teams including ours would ever admit to tanking. Nobody is dumb enough to ever admit to tanking.

The question posed by @robertweathers about whether 68 year old Bill himself is a building block for a rebuild is an interesting one. I have to think that he probably also realizes this and is trying to groom his replacements to an extent. I think he will definitely remain part of the operation after retiring from coaching but I can’t imagine him doing this more than another 2 to 3 years.

Bull. He has that credibility because of the way he approaches the game. He loses it in a second when he contradicts everything he beloved in to lose on purpose.
This is sentimental nonsense. First you said that teams that tank lose their culture. Then when asked for examples you said "teams don't tank for this reason". So you are just making things up to justify your talking point.

The Niner's did a complete tank and tear down. They are back and were in the SB. The Colts with Luck is an obvious example.

Winning this season does nothing

It’s mind boggling to think that some people here think BB would be fired if they went 2-14. What in the world are you guys thinking?
Thank you!

All you have to do is look at what Andy Reid did for the Eagles while he was there, had some bad luck with injuries and had his worst year ever, when all he use to do what bring the team to the play offs. How soon fans forget.

Again, this is a TEAM sport.

I forget, exactly what has Andy Reid done for the Chiefs when the Eagles let him go?

I disagree. We’ll see.
If Bill has 2 or 3 losing season counting this one, I can see Kraft firing him. After only one, no way.

The question posed by @robertweathers about whether 68 year old Bill himself is a building block for a rebuild is an interesting one. I have to think that he probably also realizes this and is trying to groom his replacements to an extent. I think he will definitely remain part of the operation after retiring from coaching but I can’t imagine him doing this more than another 2 to 3 years.

He is good for another 5-8 years at least, in my opinion. BB desperately wants to develop another QB and win a SB without Brady.

As much as people want to blame Cam for that fumble it also comes back to the lack of talent at skill positions. It allowed a lot of people to be around the ball and make something happen. Not that Cam shouldn't be blame for not securing the ball, but would that player have been there if they had someone worth doubling on the outside?
Thank you for your thoughts, Mrs. Newton.

This is sentimental nonsense. First you said that teams that tank lose their culture. Then when asked for examples you said "teams don't tank for this reason". So you are just making things up to justify your talking point.

The Niner's did a complete tank and tear down. They are back and were in the SB.
I forget, did the Niner's win the superbowl per the time frame of your comment?

Being football is a team sport, EVERYONE, including the owner, GM and coach are just as important as one or two stars on the team.

Anyone can try to buy one season with players knowing if they win, chances are they won't have the payroll for the following year, the key is to keep the winning going.

BB has the history and know how to make this work, even if the fans aren't happy for a year or two.

This coming from a guy who use to hate the Pats because they always seemed to have the "magic ingredients" to consistently win.

He is good for another 5-8 years at least, in my opinion. BB desperately wants to develop another QB and win a SB without Brady.
The coach is good for a few more years, no doubt. The GM needs to retire.

It’s mind boggling to think that some people here think BB would be fired if they went 2-14. What in the world are you guys thinking?
It's because they are insane and delusional and bought way too much into the "rah rah" crap and think there is some magic intangible here that makes us special. No we had the best QB ever and we had a coach who was detail oriented and was skilled at fitting players into his system within the cap to keep them competetive and mastered getting them prepared for situational football.

There's a lot of people here who think there is some magical system that is fixed in nature and demands irrational actions for the sake of catering to it. It's the same people that screamed up and down that Butler couldn't possibly play in the SB and Bill had NO CHOICE whatsoever because it would compromise the program.

No we just had good players and good coaching and now we have low talent and the coaches need to make decisions.

Welp... I'm just here to provide some memes for some comical relief. Screenshot_20201101-165506_PicsArt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe