PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post draft scouting reports for Garcia and Wise

Wise seems to have Michael Strahan type build and playing style, but obviously he is no Michael Strahan as a player.

If Bill had not given his earlier 5th-rounder (#163) to Buffalo for Gillislee, then this is where I saw Wise's true value. But because he had already made those 2 moves for TEs Dwayne Allen & James O'Shaunessy, then I knew he wasn't going to draft a TE at 131, so Wise gets bumped-up almost a full round. He's a run-stopping, edge-setting DE who can hopefully provide some pressure from the inside during passing downs, and maybe swat down passes if he can't reach the QB. Clemson DT Carlos Watkins was still available at 131, so I have to ass-ume that Bill feels that Wise can become part of a DE rotation that includes Kony Ealy, Derek Rivers, Ninkovich, and his college teammate Tre Flowers, and is not just a passing-down DT. If not, then he should have just taken Watkins.

As for Garcia, this guy scares me. There are serious questions concerning his ability to gain & maintain good weight, because as of now he simply doesn't have nearly enough sand in his pants to control bull-rushes. What's worse, his lateral agility, as reflected by his short-shuttle & 3-cone times, isn't good either, though he at least improved his 3-cone time at his pro day. His explosion scores are excellent, but that was expected because of his basketball background. His arm length & hand size are just OK. His level of competition was less than OK. Really, the only thing this guy has on which to hang his hat is that he can jump well.
I will continue to pray to Almighty God & Ganja that Solder & Cannon remain in good health throughout 2017, because there is no way that Garcia will be able to help protect Brady this season, if not any season. He just has too much work to do in order to correct all of his flaws, if they are correctable at all. And I absolutely would not have given away a 4th-round pick to move up for him.

I wonder if the Patriots see Garcia as a potential replacement for Mason instead of Solder ? Garcia has short arms for a tackle and also Mason has been inconsistent in the passing game.

I doubt it. Garcia's never played the position before, and any athletic advantages he would have at OT would be muted by moving him inside. It's possible, but I just don't see it right now, although I do agree with your take on Mason.

Garcia is really raw.

I find it very hard to see him not needing at least a redshirt year in our system.

Garcia has good feet, regardless of the 3 cone times. Good feet and athletic can't be taught i don't think. So i am optimistic on garcia. Compare him to fleming, heavy legged waist bender. Which would you prefer?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back