PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positions that we need to address this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Time to move on from this loss, I am annoyed but things need to happen on the defensive side of the field. We need to improve our interior DT position. Philly generated good amount of pressure with their front 4, our front 4 didn’t.

I say invest in a top 10 defensive end and defensive tackle. We need stout guys up there, without decent pressure not even the best corner backs can defend.

We need to replace Roberts, Hightower has had health problems the last few years so we need to get a solid linebacker that is good against the run.

Who do we bring for defensive coordinator?

BB made some bad calls today, especially benching Butler, but I still believe in the old man. I think Patricia did not expect the run option all game and he did a horrible job at adjusting. I can not believe we didn’t shut down Agholor.

We will need a replacement for DMaC soon, he has been non existent.

At the very least we need an upgrade at the DE spot next to brown. I imagine both branch and RJF are gone. Butler was a pleasant surprise but I see him more as a rotational piece on the interior helping to keep the unit fresh. VV hopefully helps us in this regard next year as well. Imagine this is our pick at 31 or early 2. The other being LB next to Hightower, hopefully as a Roberts replacment. I really like Rashaan Evans from bama.

Who are the top free agents in yhe league this off season?

ATM, the three biggest issues in my mind (not necessarily in order):

• Front seven. Getting injured players back will help, but there's still going to be some attrition. That said, getting someone to book end Trey Flowers would definitely help (maybe it'll be Derek Rivers, but having another good young pass rushers wouldn't be a bad thing at all).
  • OT. Every single tackle under contract right now is either a FA this offseason or rehabbing (Garcia NFI, Cannon IR).
  • QB. Hoyer is not the long-term answer, and they need to start looking for one, even if Brady does plan to play for another four or five years.

At the very least we need an upgrade at the DE spot next to brown. I imagine both branch and RJF are gone. Butler was a pleasant surprise but I see him more as a rotational piece on the interior helping to keep the unit fresh. VV hopefully helps us in this regard next year as well. Imagine this is our pick at 31 or early 2. The other being LB next to Hightower, hopefully as a Roberts replacment. I really like Rashaan Evans from bama.

Just to check, do you mean DT?

I think Brady’s going to sign an extension that will lower his cap number. According to what I read I think on patscap.com his number jumps from 14 mil to 22 mil next year.

Defensively they’ll add Hightower. Between he and Van Noy it will probably allow them to play three safeties even more and make up for not having a speedy coverage linebacker.

An impact guy either on the interior or DE would be nice.

I just hope someone comes available free agency or trade. Hard to see a rookie making the impact on the front seven that the Pats need.

Offensively they definitely need Solder to re-sign because I don’t think they find a rookie LT or free agent better than him, declining though he is.

Waddle if he stays healthy should be ok at RT.

A nasty strong veteran guard who gets cut like Brian Waters would be nice.

But as long as they have Scar they should be ok. IMO though Solder is key, he played well at the end of the season.

ATM, the three biggest issues in my mind (not necessarily in order):

• Front seven. Getting injured players back will help, but there's still going to be some attrition. That said, getting someone to book end Trey Flowers would definitely help (maybe it'll be Derek Rivers, but having another good young pass rushers wouldn't be a bad thing at all).
  • OT. Every single tackle under contract right now is either a FA this offseason or rehabbing (Garcia NFI, Cannon IR).
  • QB. Hoyer is not the long-term answer, and they need to start looking for one, even if Brady does plan to play for another four or five years.
Start hacking away if you want to re-sign Nate Solder and Dion Lewis.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Left Tackle Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Note: Fleming, Solder, Waddle will be unrestricted free agents in 2018.

Running Back Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Note: Bolden, Burkhead, Lewis will be unrestricted free agents in 2018.

Gross cap savings by cutting Bennett, Allen, Gillislee, Britt: $14,821,875

Last edited:
We will need a replacement for DMaC soon, he has been non existent.

Among top players at safety. Gets forced to come down and play close to box regularly because of a lack of speed among LBs and man-to-man CB because Butler got his ass benched and both Cyrus and JJones are on IR. But lets blame the player who gets the thankless role of trying to hold everything together.

Time to move on from this loss, I am annoyed but things need to happen on the defensive side of the field. We need to improve our interior DT position. Philly generated good amount of pressure with their front 4, our front 4 didn’t.

Last year we got away with how BB and Caserio bungled the Akiem Hicks situation because Branch played really well. This year he was a shell of himself and that decision finally came back to bite us at the very end of the season.

Who do we bring for defensive coordinator?

Flores obviously.

I think improving the speed overall on defense overall and adding a big interior DL will be the priority.

On offense, a young QB ranks high, now a Frontline TE needs to be at least considered, and the tackles are solid but who knows what Solder's plans are. I don't think there's an elite tackle in this draft, though, to come in and be an immediate upgrade.

I expect a lot of trade downs to aquire more picks.

The entire front 7, a corner, a right tackle and possibly a left tackle if solder doesn’t resign

The Pats lost a metric crap-tonne along the DL - indeed, in the entire front seven - to FA, retirement and injury and played most of the season with a patchwork crew. Players who might have been intended as rotational guys (or even reserves) ended up playing major roles. It's not surprising (or shouldn't be) that they didn't generate much pressure in the SB against one of the best (if not the best) OL in the league this season.

BTW - the Pats OL didn't surrender any unusual amount of pressure to the Eagles' highly-touted front seven.

The DL roster currently consists of:
- T. Flowers, EDGE
- Wise, EDGE/Interior
- Guy, Interior/EDGE
- A. Butler, Interior/EDGE
- Brown, Interior
- Valentine, Interior ... IR
- Branch, Interior (just turned 33 at the end of December; likely cut before FA)
- Lee, EDGE/OLB
- Rivers, EDGE/OLB (?) ... IR

The Pats also have rookie Keionta Davis (6030/271, EDGE) on the NFI List. He might have been a mid-round pick if not for a swollen disk in his neck that wasn't discovered until the Combine medical exam. They also have rookie UDFA Caleb Kidder (6044/269, DE) on IR. Davis' disk issue apparently didn't require surgery; it simply didn't heal soon enough to allow him to participate this season. He could well be in the mix this off-season.

It's notable that the Pats didn't finish the season with at least one DL player (Interior or EDGE) on the PS. They did have Angelo Blackson (6043/320) on the PS from the beginning of the season (replaced Kilgo) until the Texans poached him on Halloween. They also had Mike Purcell (6030/325) for awhile in November, and then Marcus Hardison (6031/310) for a couple weeks in December).

- RJF (Interior) was remarkably effective as a late addition to cover for Branch. He's 31 and a "very smart" player according to his previous coaches. Probably worth re-signing on a Vet-Minimum contract through Camp.
- Harrison (EDGE/OLB) was also pretty effective as a late addition. In spite of his age (turns 40 on May 4th) he also might be worth re-signing at Vet-Min through Camp.

Even if the Pats re-sign RJF (assuming Branch is released), that gives them only five players whose primary role is DL-Interior. It seems to me that they need a quantity of prospects, as well as at least one quality body (Draft or FA), for off-season/Camp competition on the 90-man roster.

OTOH, I'm not as certain that the DL-EDGE situation is quite as dire. With the amount that both T. Flowers and Harrison were dropping back into coverage, it seems to me that the this spot is OLB (and LB in general).

I think we definitely need to address the front 7. A pass rusher, defensive tackle that can be disruptive and at least one linebacker. Don't want to see any more Roberts in there.

I'd also like to add another safety and cb. Can't have Richards or Badamosi playing either.

On offense, another tight end, depending on Bennett.

I like the idea of bringing back RJF as a veteran role player type guy. I'm hoping Wise continues to progress as does Adam Butler. It would be nice if we get something from Derek Rivers and/or Keionta Davis. I expect Alan Branch to be gone.

LB is a major area I think. Obviously Hightower and Van Noy are awesome. I actually like E. Roberts (I know thats unpopular), but he is more of a niche role player type and shouldn't be out there every down. Hope to see M. Flowers develop more. Maybe we have something in Harvey Langi too, if he comes back.

Hopefully BB hires a competitive D-coordinator.

Also a 39 year old James Harrison was putting our d-linemen to shame! He was the only one generating pressure on Foles for most of the game. The rest of the guys were just there unable to get off their blockers.

We need to invest in some talent on d-line badly. You can see how that paid off with Jax and the eagles.

I think it was a mistake letting Jones and Long go. Those guys are an upgrade over what we currently have.

Hopefully BB hires a competitive D-coordinator.

Also a 39 year old James Harrison was putting our d-linemen to shame! He was the only one generating pressure on Foles for most of the game. The rest of the guys were just there unable to get off their blockers.

We need to invest in some talent on d-line badly. You can see how that paid off with Jax and the eagles.

I think it was a mistake letting Jones and Long go. Those guys are an upgrade over what we currently have.

Bingo......Chandler Jones and his 17 sacks this year would have been huge

Bingo......Chandler Jones and his 17 sacks this year would have been huge

I don’t need 17 sacks, I am just appalled how bad our pass rush was, Ours was non existent against a competitive defense.

I kinda wanted Campbell last year in FA but already go Gillmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back