Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When will we draft a QB?

3Zs8.gif

I voted 3 but I'd rather they traded down.

I voted 3 but I'd rather they traded down.
Why? The only reason, they should draft down is if they hate all QB's in this draft and feel that no Qb is worth a pick. If you dont have a QB, you do not have anything. You are not going to consistently do anything. Its just the way things are and have been for years. Its drastic. A Qb is worth like 5 wins. If they deem all these guys crap, then year trade down.

Why? The only reason, they should draft down is if they hate all QB's in this draft and feel that no Qb is worth a pick. If you dont have a QB, you do not have anything. You are not going to consistently do anything. Its just the way things are and have been for years. Its drastic. A Qb is worth like 5 wins. If they deem all these guys crap, then year trade down.

It isn't about "hating all these guys." From what I'm reading, the only one that's clearly worthy of being at top of the first round is Williams. The others don't measure up to that, so they are all high risk picks inside the first 10. Using #3 on one of them is over drafting out of need. But as you've pointed out, QB is so important, that may be the best strategy.

And the Pats may disagree, have one or two of them rated higher, makin him a lower risk at #3. I hope that guy is there at #3.

I don't trust declarations of certainty. Nobody knows how this will go, literally nobody. I'm certain of that.

Cousin, Are you and great posters like yourself and Ivan absolutely 100% convinced that Maye or Daniels will be the next Patrick Mahomes? Are you just hoping this? Can Penix or Nix not be Lamar or Dak? If you can convince me of that you can sway my vote to pick a QB AT #3.
I cannot see toileting three or four "blue chip" players (possible) for one who I hope I am wrong, is the next great Allen or Stroud (possibel) .
DW Toys

Cousin, Are you and great posters like yourself and Ivan absolutely 100% convinced that Maye or Daniels will be the next Patrick Mahomes? Are you just hoping this? Can Penix or Nix not be Lamar or Dak? If you can convince me of that you can sway my vote to pick a QB AT #3.
I cannot see toileting three or four "blue chip" players (possible) for one who I hope I am wrong, is the next great Allen or Stroud (possibel) .
DW Toys

Thanks Cous, but you are a little off on that. Where I, and I think most of those that are of the same mindset on the 3rd pick are at is that they have to take the QB at 3 if they believe they have franchise potential. If they don’t believe that then they should trade out. But if they do that then don’t bother taking one later in the first round because those QB’s don’t have that potential( at least imo)

If they don’t believe in the QB’s they shouldn’t take them, period. The same goes for any other pick they make, although that gets recalibrated the further down you go in the draft. So if they believe these guys are Mac Jones or Zach Wilson then take the 3 first rounders and try again next year. The Patriots front office and coaches have far more information and far more ability to evaluate these prospects than I ever will, so if they decide to trade out I’ll just have to buy that they don’t believe in them.

Where I differ with some here is the idea that they should trade out of 3 even if they believe the QB has franchise potential, because they want more picks, or a WR over the QB. And I do believe that they are in real trouble if they can’t get the answer at QB this year, because you don’t get them in free agency, and you have to turn around and give up 3 firsts when you want one in a future draft. And because next years QB class sucks.

Have a good day DW

pick at 3
---------
one of the top 4 QB's

TRADE - let's use the most common suggestion (not out hopes) of 11, 23, a 4th and next year's 11th (or wherever MIN picks).
================
I squinted and looked. I don't see 2-3 guaranteed blue chippers after the trade. In fact, if we draft a QB 11, it is very possible that we won't get any.

DW Toys
I can flip this around and ask: how many people actually thought Mahomes would be a top 5 QB of all time when drafted? Were there any articles or analysis indicating he would be a GOAT candidate?

If someone said in April 2000 that Tom Brady would be the next Montana, he/she would be laughed out the room.

Nobody knows anything for 100% certainty. If this QB class was similar to 2022, yeah I think trading down would be wise. But it isn't.

And Allen really isn't anything special. Great QB for sure. Not special.

Thanks Cous, but you are a little off on that. Where I, and I think most of those that are of the same mindset on the 3rd pick are at is that they have to take the QB at 3 if they believe they have franchise potential. If they don’t believe that then they should trade out. But if they do that then don’t bother taking one later in the first round because those QB’s don’t have that potential( at least imo)

If they don’t believe in the QB’s they shouldn’t take them, period. The same goes for any other pick they make, although that gets recalibrated the further down you go in the draft. So if they believe these guys are Mac Jones or Zach Wilson then take the 3 first rounders and try again next year. The Patriots front office and coaches have far more information and far more ability to evaluate these prospects than I ever will, so if they decide to trade out I’ll just have to buy that they don’t believe in them.

Where I differ with some here is the idea that they should trade out of 3 even if they believe the QB has franchise potential, because they want more picks, or a WR over the QB. And I do believe that they are in real trouble if they can’t get the answer at QB this year, because you don’t get them in free agency, and you have to turn around and give up 3 firsts when you want one in a future draft. And because next years QB class sucks.

Have a good day DW
Good Retort Cousin Ivan, But this is the evaluation methodology I am thinking and why. Stroud versus Young. Nick (who I did not think much of him here) has done a fine job with the Texans. He built the roster first by actually choosing FAs to help fill shaky roster slots ..........He Drafted well.........and then plugged in Stroud and it worked. Irony? .....Two of our Draftees are starters in Beck and Mason. The OL is still young.

Then you have Young in Carolina. The Panthers wanted to Draft him and build around that QB. It has been to the point that Youg might be labeled the next "bust" QB .Why is that? Those so called experts rated him as #1. Same brain trust that has labeled the Holy Three plus one as elite. Now that scares me.

My test theory is swap the two QBs, Would young take off and be productive? Would Stroud be thought of as a "bust"?

The Texans LT Tunsil who is only 28 had a good year. The Panthers young LT gave up 11 sacks and 12 penalties. Ekwonu struggled.

So instead of putting a rookie QB out there as cannon foder, I am going to concentrate on LT first , WR second (must be a veteran) and after solidifying the OL , now let's talk QB. As an alternative one of the best LT in the NFL and best Team leaders is ACL rehabbing . He's only 30. Sign Pro Bowler D.J. Humpriies now while he is cheap and by mid year he should stabalixe the O Line,

I am OK with Penix. He had the second best numbers. They defectaed on him because hre was statuesque until he ran a 4.6 40.....What? He can bail out?

I am not the GM but I take all those picks. Draft Penix at #11 and the best LT st #23. Double dip on the QB with Rattler anmd double dip at LT.

DW Toys

Good Retort Cousin Ivan, But this is the evaluation methodology I am thinking and why. Stroud versus Young. Nick (who I did not think much of him here) has done a fine job with the Texans. He built the roster first by actually choosing FAs to help fill shaky roster slots ..........He Drafted well.........and then plugged in Stroud and it worked. Irony? .....Two of our Draftees are starters in Beck and Mason. The OL is still young.

Then you have Young in Carolina. The Panthers wanted to Draft him and build around that QB. It has been to the point that Youg might be labeled the next "bust" QB .Why is that? Those so called experts rated him as #1. Same brain trust that has labeled the Holy Three plus one as elite. Now that scares me.

My test theory is swap the two QBs, Would young take off and be productive? Would Stroud be thought of as a "bust"?

The Texans LT Tunsil who is only 28 had a good year. The Panthers young LT gave up 11 sacks and 12 penalties. Ekwonu struggled.

So instead of putting a rookie QB out there as cannon foder, I am going to concentrate on LT first , WR second (must be a veteran) and after solidifying the OL , now let's talk QB. As an alternative one of the best LT in the NFL and best Team leaders is ACL rehabbing . He's only 30. Sign Pro Bowler D.J. Humpriies now while he is cheap and by mid year he should stabalixe the O Line,

I am OK with Penix. He had the second best numbers. They defectaed on him because hre was statuesque until he ran a 4.6 40.....What? He can bail out?

I am not the GM but I take all those picks. Draft Penix at #11 and the best LT st #23. Double dip on the QB with Rattler anmd double dip at LT.

DW Toys

We just see it differently DW. This is the first time in over 30 years the Patriots have had a top 3 pick, and there are 4 QB’s that many believe have franchise potential. And the “ haul” everyone keeps talking about is meaningless if you have turn around in a year or 2 to go back up and get your QB, and in the meantime you suck because you don’t have one. And I wouldn’t start any of these guys the first year anyways, I would build up the OL and receiving corps first and let them learn the system for a year. So for me it’s take the QB if you believe they have a franchise ceiling, trade out for the 3 first rounders if you don’t believe in the QB’s. If you hit on the QB your problem is solved for 10+ years.

We just see it differently DW. This is the first time in over 30 years the Patriots have had a top 3 pick, and there are 4 QB’s that many believe have franchise potential. And the “ haul” everyone keeps talking about is meaningless if you have turn around in a year or 2 to go back up and get your QB, and in the meantime you suck because you don’t have one. And I wouldn’t start any of these guys the first year anyways, I would build up the OL and receiving corps first and let them learn the system for a year. So for me it’s take the QB if you believe they have a franchise ceiling, trade out for the 3 first rounders if you don’t believe in the QB’s. If you hit on the QB your problem is solved for 10+ years.
Thanks for the qualifier. The "if" at #3 is as big as Jennifer Lopez's but when she was 20.

Thanks for the qualifier. The "if" at #3 is as big as Jennifer Lopez's but when she was 20.

The only people who know that are those in the room, they either want the one who are there or they don’t. I know what I want, but I’m not a professional scout or talent evaluator, and I’m not willing to spend months looking at college games trying to evaluate things I don’t know about.

I’m just curious, how much time do you spend watching college players and breaking down the film?

Unlike many here I was a soccer player and a skier, I always liked watching football and following the Draft, but I don’t bother getting into technical football discussions because I never played the game, except pick up football. Now I rarely watch football live, unless they are night games, because I try to spend all my time outside playing golf and mountain biking during the fall, because winter sucks and I need to make the most of my time when it’s nice out. So I just don’t have the commitment to football that I used to have. I still love the draft though, but most of my information comes from podcasts and what I read.

The only people who know that are those in the room, they either want the one who are there or they don’t. I know what I want, but I’m not a professional scout or talent evaluator, and I’m not willing to spend months looking at college games trying to evaluate things I don’t know about.

I’m just curious, how much time do you spend watching college players and breaking down the film?
I watch college games. My pals and I used to go to Dartmouth and Holy Cross to see live games. I don't consider my opinion on players to be more than a fart in the wind. Sometimes you know it when you see it, and I acknowledge that study of players can dramatically reduce the bust or reach factors but the game itself does not give in to pure analysis of itself because human beings.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back