PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please Evaluate this trade

37Harrison

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Here is my roster:
QB's: Roethlisberger, Vick (Reid said he was going to be the starter), and Eli
RB's: Gore, Best, Torain, R. Bush
WR's: Moss, Boldin, Marshall, M. Williams (Sea)
TE: Zach Miller, Pettigrew
K and DST: Based on matchups

So, since my WR's are pretty good and my RB's are shaky at best excluding Gore... I offered the following trade to someone who needs some QB help:

From Me: Eli Manning & Ryan Torain

I would get in trade: Michael Turner.

This would also open up a roster spot for me for that crucial waiver wire pickup at towards the end of the year.

Last edited:
I think that would be a very good trade for you.

Unless there is an injury you are most likely going to start Roethlisberger every week; therefore losing Eli is no big deal. So you are more or less trading Ryan Torian away and getting Michael Turner in return.

From the sound of it this is a win-win for both teams.

Good trade.

Turner is starting to see more action in the passing game so that's especially beneficial if you're in a PPR league.

Good trade.

Turner is starting to see more action in the passing game so that's especially beneficial if you're in a PPR league.

Thanks for the input bakes and yes, I am in a PPR league.

I thought it was a good trade too although I am not sure if I would've done it if I were the other guy. He already has Brees and Palmer for QB's (although both are pretty shaky & inconsistent this year) and after Turner is gone from his team he is left with Torain as his best RB. However, he does has S. Smith (NYG) as one of his receivers so he will now have the Eli/S. Smith combo.

Last edited:
I think that would be a very good trade for you.

Unless there is an injury you are most likely going to start Roethlisberger every week; therefore losing Eli is no big deal. So you are more or less trading Ryan Torian away and getting Michael Turner in return.

From the sound of it this is a win-win for both teams.

I appreciate your input Ron!

The other guy has accepted this trade so hopefully it doesn't get blocked from the other team owners in the league... will find out Friday!

I appreciate your input Ron!

The other guy has accepted this trade so hopefully it doesn't get blocked from the other team owners in the league... will find out Friday!
Sounds like he is giving up on Brees. I can understand his frustration, especially after last week's game - plus the fact that anybody who drafted Brees is not getting the numbers they expected to get this year - but his nervousness is your gain. Though Torain had a good game I'd still much prefer Turner. Perfect timing for you, you get to "sell high" after Eli's game against Dallas as well as Torain's last two games for Washington.

By the way, who is that in your avatar?

The trade is fine as long as Jason Snelling is available so you can have him as a handcuff for Turner.

The trade is fine as long as Jason Snelling is available so you can have him as a handcuff for Turner.
So you're suggesting 37Harrison not make the trade simply on the basis of whether or not Snelling is available?

The roster does not have a handcuff for Gore, Best or Torain either; why should the decision to make this trade now come down to availability of a handcuff?

Personally I think handcuffs are over rated unless you're either in a league with large rosters (18 or more players, not including IDP), you're drafting two players from one team because you're not sure which one will be the main RB, or you're taking the backup because you have reason to believe at some point the starter will be replaced (age, injuries, rebuilding). In those last two cases you're probably better off to pass on the starter but pickup the backup late in the draft.

The other thing to consider is that there is no guarantee that the handcuff will outperform other available players. In this case, let's say Turner does get hurt. There's a good chance that Gore, Best and Bush could still outpoint Snelling. The available roster spot was better utilized with a better player back at the draft - though in this case since it was a 2-for-1 deal, if the OP wants they now have an extra spot for Snelling if they so desire.

Every year you see articles advising people about how they have to handcuff in case of injuries, but that backup is no sure thing; the team may end up going with another player instead, or they could go RBBC after an injury. I'm not saying I've never done it, but in my opinion the strategy just seems to be over rated to the point where many people don't make smart moves and often waste a valuable roster spot.

So you're suggesting 37Harrison not make the trade simply on the basis of whether or not Snelling is available?

The roster does not have a handcuff for Gore, Best or Torain either; why should the decision to make this trade now come down to availability of a handcuff?

Personally I think handcuffs are over rated unless you're either in a league with large rosters (18 or more players, not including IDP), you're drafting two players from one team because you're not sure which one will be the main RB, or you're taking the backup because you have reason to believe at some point the starter will be replaced (age, injuries, rebuilding). In those last two cases you're probably better off to pass on the starter but pickup the backup late in the draft.

The other thing to consider is that there is no guarantee that the handcuff will outperform other available players. In this case, let's say Turner does get hurt. There's a good chance that Gore, Best and Bush could still outpoint Snelling. The available roster spot was better utilized with a better player back at the draft - though in this case since it was a 2-for-1 deal, if the OP wants they now have an extra spot for Snelling if they so desire.

Every year you see articles advising people about how they have to handcuff in case of injuries, but that backup is no sure thing; the team may end up going with another player instead, or they could go RBBC after an injury. I'm not saying I've never done it, but in my opinion the strategy just seems to be over rated to the point where many people don't make smart moves and often waste a valuable roster spot.

I'm specifically talking about Turner here. He struggled late in the season last year with injuries. He struggled earlier this season already and there is no guarantee he will last out the season. Also Atlanta are looking like a playoff team and if they have that wrapped up with two weeks to go then its very likely they rest Turner which means if you make the playoffs which are weeks 15 and 16 in most leagues you could be down a starter.
Snelling showed last year that he is a very competent replacement. He showed it again this season when Turner was hurt.
I don't recommend handcuffs for every RB as in most cases there is no certain no.2 but in the case of the Falcons there is no doubt who the no.2 is.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back