PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players Drafted Before Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Richardson pick was horrible, no excuse whatsoever...

Just imagine if Gilmore had not come to the Patriots and received the great coaching of Asante Samuel. He’d be out of the league by now.

Just shows 2 things really. The draft truly is all about hit or miss, and more importantly where the player winds up. There have been players who wound up being busts for both reasons. They were either a miss, or they were drafted by the wrong team. Gilmore never really became elite, until he wound up with the Patriots. Van Noy, was a bust in Detroit, but became an essential player for the Pats, really was an excellent player for the Pats.

You have to consider him elite now, right?
Yea but that's after a stint with the Bills and coming here. He's definitely an elite player. Coming out most had Mo as CB1. Feel like I nailed Gilly pretty good coming out. Took him a minute but he's top tier.

I love the love for Fonzie!
Yup, I really liked both Dennard's coming out. Wish I had Johnson and Haywood higher but we.

It's so weird looking back at the names now and were they were at the time.

Justin Blackmon....what a POS.

Chandler Jones is the only player I can think of that actually got better after leaving NE. I always thought he was misused and held back. Since leaving, he's been regarded as one of the best front 7 guys in the NFL for a few years now.

Last edited:
Justin Blackmon....what a POS.

Chandler Jones is the only player I can think of that actually got better after leaving NE. I always thought he was misused and held back. Since leaving, he's been regarded as one of the best front 7 guys in the NFL for a few years now.
Jones is up to 96 sacks for his career, how the hell did THAT happen ?

Cards simplified his role and let him pin his ears back and go after the QB.

It is really 96 sacks in half a career. He disappears for the last 8 games of every season ;)

I would only take Andrew Luck and Luke Kuechly over Gilmore (from the nine players drafted in front of him). I firmly believe that if Andrew Luck didn't land in that dumpster fire of a franchise, he would have had a better career.

I would only take Andrew Luck and Luke Kuechly over Gilmore (from the nine players drafted in front of him). I firmly believe that if Andrew Luck didn't land in that dumpster fire of a franchise, he would have had a better career.
I loved Luck. I think a lot of a QB's makeup is from his HC. Brady had Bill. Bill wasn't allowing or having Tom win games by himself like a Manning or Luck.

I watch Manning & Luck and they try to win the game on every pass. Hardly a QB fault. Neither had a HC that could or would lay down the law.

I think Luck would have killed with a different franchise. Landing spot and opportunity are so enormous for QB.

2012 could've been one of the greatest QB class of all-time. 2011 & 2012 were just stacked with talent. LB class was insane from 12.
Screenshot_2020-06-26-22-10-20.png Screenshot_2020-06-26-22-11-50.png

BGC. That is some ASTONISHINGLY good draft grading. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Nice job, I think you were fairly accurate. Five of the top six ended up having lengthy careers other than Alfonzo Dennard (who had off-field issues).
And that sucks because the kid was not a bad player. He actually played at an above average to very good level during his short stint.

Nice job, I think you were fairly accurate. Five of the top six ended up having lengthy careers other than Alfonzo Dennard (who had off-field issues).
Fonzie also had physical & injury issues that he was unable (or unwilling) to overcome...His chances of finishing his rookie contract here weren't helped when Revis, Browner & Malcolm Butler all arrived (and a re-assigned Chung returned) in 2014, thus ending a 1/2-dozen years (2008-13) of non-championship defensive secondary play...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back