PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Place blame on BB NOT Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, you can blame BB for having cassell on the team in the first place, right? i think cassell sucks but when other teams are out there getting decent backups like brad johnson and david carr, who was playing terrific during the preseason, why can't we do the same? is money that tight in the pats organization?

And, with all due respect, why would QBs good enough to carry a team to the playoffs come to a team where they know that they're not going to see any playing time unless something like this happened, when there are other teams that would offer them much better chances to start?

Last edited:
I find it funny that people blame BB for not having a veteran QB. Most people were happy with Damon Huard, yet since he's gotten his chance in KC he hasn't been appreciably and consistently better than Cassel. So veteran QBs are no guarantee. (Unless you are picking in hindsight.)

And with a hard salary cap, the more you spend on a backup QB the more it hurts the rest of the team.

In the end it comes down to: if you spend enough on a backup QB to come anywhere close to Brady's level, you hurt the rest of the team significantly. A few years of uncertain backups can have a team improves enough to make the years Brady doesn't get hurt special.

I find it funny that people blame BB for not having a veteran QB. Most people were happy with Damon Huard, yet since he's gotten his chance in KC he hasn't been appreciably and consistently better than Cassel. So veteran QBs are no guarantee. (Unless you are picking in hindsight.)

The dumb thing about all this bickering, is that if Huard was still here, and played like he did in his first start for KC this year, people would be booing him, and begging for Cassel. The backup QB is always the most popular person on a team after a loss. If BB went with O'connell next week, and the kid threw 3 int's, everybody here would be screaming for Matt G.

I, for one, will trust that Bill knows more about football than the people here. So whatever he decides, I'll support. AND I DONT DRINK KOOL-AID. BUD ONLY :D

I put the blame on the offense and the defense equally.

The offence is only averaging 17.8 pts per game, the defense is allowing 21.8 points per game.

That spells a lot of losing to me.

The question for BB is did he not see this coming?

No plan in place if TB went down
How did the defense get so porous so quickly?

I hope fans do not boo MC next week. One thing is for sure...he istrying as hard as he can to succeed. I just don't think he has the tools.

Much of the frustration is being directed at him..more of it needs to be directed at BB.

When the Patriots have been succesful he has gotten much of the credit.

He deserves criticism for not having an adequate backup plan in place.
He has known for years that if TB went down, the team would go down.

I know the Patriots are 3-2 BUT in the past they have always been competetive in their losses...now they are being embarassed.

I was shocked to hear BB say that the loss to the chargers was not as bad as it looked..he's probably trying to prop up the players but as Parcells used to say "you are what the record and score says you are"

I'm booing YOU, man. BB (with a tip of the cap to Parcells and Kraft) MADE this team, dude... there is NO WAY that BB should EVER be booed by Pats fans. For real, for sure...take it the bank.... 3 SB rings, a DYNASTY...all from him.

Should Cassel be booed... NO... I don't think that the Pats should be booed at ALL right now.

But

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

to YOU, marcus.

I hope fans do not boo MC next week. One thing is for sure...he istrying as hard as he can to succeed. I just don't think he has the tools.

Much of the frustration is being directed at him..more of it needs to be directed at BB.

I know the Patriots are 3-2 BUT in the past they have always been competetive in their losses...now they are being embarassed.

I was shocked to hear BB say that the loss to the chargers was not as bad as it looked..he's probably trying to prop up the players but as Parcells used to say "you are what the record and score says you are"

I place most of the blame on Matt; the little part of me that blames BB is just for allowing Matt to play and not picking up a veteran QB

Last edited:
Pat the Patriot:

I am not in any way saying that BB should be booed..of course not

BUT I do think MC receives too much blame on this forum when it is BBs decision to have him as starting QB for the whole season.

Of course BB has meant everything to this franchise..but he is not above being criticised when it is appropriate

Many of the issues with this team this year e.g. Backup QB, cornerback play aging LB corps and OL were predictable as being potential problems.

The only absolute shocker to me is the D-Line andts lack of impact to date except stopping the run

Last edited:
And, with all due respect, why would QBs good enough to carry a team to the playoffs come to a team where they know that they're not going to see any playing time unless something like this happened, when there are other teams that would offer them much better chances to start?

Do you mean like:

David Carr (Giants)
Brad Johnson (Cowboys)
Byron Leftwich (Steeelers)
Patrick Ramsey (Denver)
Mark Brunell (Saints)
Luke MccCown and Jeff Garcia (Bucs)
Cleo Lemon (Jaguars)
Kerry Collins (Titans)

I am glad you were shocked.. shows how little you know about the game..Yoo bad there aren't ejection seast to take all you band wagoners and throw you off for good...

does anyone know where I can find the average seconds in the pocket Cassel has v. other QBs?

What would OConnell bring to the table that Cassel cant? When was the last time OConnell worked with the team as the starting QB in a game?

More decisive throwing.
No telegraphed throws.
Long balls that spread the defense.
Faster throws.
Pocket presence.
Confidence the rest of the team can feed off of.

MC is bad enough for me to want to at least see O get a try...against the Rams would be ideal.

Wasn't TB the third QB as well?

Do you mean like:

David Carr (Giants)
Brad Johnson (Cowboys)
Patrick Ramsey (Denver)
Mark Brunell (Saints)
Cleo Lemon (Jaguars)

These teams maybe go .500 with those backups. The Steelers and Titans are less dependant on the pass as the above teams are. Well, maybe not the Jags, but Lemon is terrible.

EDIT: Oops, I mis-read what you said Marcus, thought you were saying these teams would be in good shape with the backup QBs they signed.

Last edited:
More decisive throwing.
No telegraphed throws.
Faster throws.
Pocket presence.

MC is bad enough for me to want to at least see O get a try...against the Rams would be ideal.

He showed all this versus what? Second and third string defenses?

More decisive throwing.
No telegraphed throws.
Faster throws.
Pocket presence.

how do you know all this when o' connell hasn't played a down in a regular season NFL game before?

Do you mean like:

David Carr (Giants)
Brad Johnson (Cowboys)
Byron Leftwich (Steeelers)
Patrick Ramsey (Denver)
Mark Brunell (Saints)
Luke MccCown and Jeff Garcia (Bucs)
Cleo Lemon (Jaguars)
Kerry Collins (Titans)

exactly. for the same reason why carr and johnson went to the giants and cowboys, respectively, even though they knew they would get no playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft