PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh Healthy and playing Very Good D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public service announcement: This thread is about the Steelers, not the Colts. Thank you for your consideration.

No question, Pittsburgh looms large on the post-bye schedule. The 0 players to IR stat is truly amazing, and they're outscoring opponents by an average of more than two touchdowns a game. I think the biggest question about the Steelers is: how the heck can they have 2 losses without playing a single good team???

The Pats have played some creampuffs, but they've made them all look like creampuffs. Does anybody think Indy or Dallas would have a loss at this point with this schedule?
Cleveland
Buffalo
San Francisco
Arizona
Seattle
Denver
Cincinnati
Baltimore

So rather than saying the Steelers aren't as good as their record, or have cleaned up against weak opponents, I'm going to turn it around: this team has underachieved.

Only hit I saw was Ward blocking Reed on a play, leveled him. Maybe I saw it wrong, but certainly, had he just walked up to him and head butted with his helmet, he would have at the least, been fined.

That was the play man.

I guess that I am blind. Reed was out.

ok, I've watched about 3/4 of their games, here's my observations.

That game against the Ravens, almost all the catches were completed in blown coverage while Ben was scrambling. Notice other then those passes, how much offense did they have, not much of a running game against Denver. Their offensive line isn't that good and Ben has made some dumb plays, I don't think he's really that smart. Also, their schedule is a joke, most of the teams they played and beat had no offense before they got to the game, to me, this explains their #1 Defense.

Here's the clincher, the Steelers ( Ward, Ben and Tomlin ) all had something to say after spygate, Toothlessburger and Ward both claimed that's how the Pats beat them in both the AFC Championship games. Although they're both too stupid to realize that the Pats were accused of stealing defensive signals and accused our defense of knowing what plays they were gonna run on offense.The fact they made those comments has recently been brought up in SI and ESPN, a nice fresh reminder for the Pats players.

Bottom line, no matter how well the Steelers plays, the Patriots players will play this game with more heart then any game except maybe the Chargers game.

Its my opinion that when the Steelers come to Gillette, they'd best bring a few wheelchairs just in case. I honestly believe the Pats dislike these guys almost as much as the Jets because of the comments about spygate.

JMTC

Randy had a nice day. Sick catch over the middle, and got behind Bethea. They did misfire on a few though. I think his production will slow a bit. If I see one more 50 yard jump ball, I'm gonna puke!

Keep your air sickness bag handy then - you are going to see many more Moss "jump balls" this year and why not - nobody can stop him.

I see no reasoning at all to support your thinking he will "slow down" - the only thing that could possibly slow RM & TB down this year is weather and then it will only be strong winds that would tend to inhibit this amazing pass offense.

This team is very real, dangerous and unstopable. Indy had thier chance last Sunday and blew it - I doubt they have another stinker in them.

Next game between these two teams, IMHO, NE wins by three touchdowns.

ok, I've watched about 3/4 of their games, here's my observations.

That game against the Ravens, almost all the catches were completed in blown coverage while Ben was scrambling. Notice other then those passes, how much offense did they have, not much of a running game against Denver. Their offensive line isn't that good and Ben has made some dumb plays, I don't think he's really that smart. Also, their schedule is a joke, most of the teams they played and beat had no offense before they got to the game, to me, this explains their #1 Defense.

Here's the clincher, the Steelers ( Ward, Ben and Tomlin ) all had something to say after spygate, Toothlessburger and Ward both claimed that's how the Pats beat them in both the AFC Championship games. Although they're both too stupid to realize that the Pats were accused of stealing defensive signals and accused our defense of knowing what plays they were gonna run on offense.The fact they made those comments has recently been brought up in SI and ESPN, a nice fresh reminder for the Pats players.

Bottom line, no matter how well the Steelers plays, the Patriots players will play this game with more heart then any game except maybe the Chargers game.

Its my opinion that when the Steelers come to Gillette, they'd best bring a few wheelchairs just in case. I honestly believe the Pats dislike these guys almost as much as the Jets because of the comments about spygate.

JMTC

You don't watch football and you haven't watched 3/4 of the Steelers games, as illustrated by your brutal non-football analysis. Either that or you don't know what you're watching.

The Ravens applied heavy pressure up front. Hopefully you understand that 5 or 6 cannot block 8 or 9. Pitt took what the defense gave them and passed all over their secondary. With Ed Reed in bracket coverage. As for scrambling and throwing on the run, that's what Ben does better than anyone, so it's a strength not a weakness. Something the Pats had better gameplan for. And even then, the two TDs to Holmes on MNF were strikes from the pocket. I hope Belichick shares your lowly opinion and thinks Ben is too dumb to dissect a secondary. This is a much different Ben from the rookie you confused in the 04 AFCCG.

As for the Pit losses - as I'd stated in another thread, both were road losses after travelling cross country. The ARZ game had a special teams debacle (punt return for TD) and Pitt lost their Pro Bowl NT (Hampton), his backup (Hoke), and Polamalu for the entire 2nd half, when they lost the lead. Chalk that loss up to being Whisenhunt's Super Bowl, much like Gruden vs Raiders.

The Denver loss was less forgivable, the o-line was tooled that entire game. Still Ben brought the team back with two 4th quarter TD drives to tie. With Shanahan & co coming off the brutal loss to the Chargers, they had the better gameplan and execution in the 1st half (You Pats fans may be familiar with this.)

Ward's comments about Spygate were dumb. The Steelers got outcoached and outplayed in those 2 AFFCG games. But somehow I highly doubt that (a) those one or two Steeler comments have any impact on the game itself (b) some nobody on a message board has his finger on the pulse of the team's emotional state coming up to the game.

As for the wheelchair smack-talk, I would say coming off the short week after you play the Ravens, it's the Pats medic team that should be on call from the sidelines. Remember that in all the Pats-Steelers contests of the recent past, regardless of the score, the Pats have been the more brittle team... think Ty Law, Rodney, Matt Light, etc.

It will be an interesting game nonetheless.

If you're just saying that Randy had to jump for the reception fine, but it wasn't just one of those "throw it up there and let Randy go and get it" passes. That was actually a developed route, and Moss was open for the TD, but Brady slightly underthrew him. As the other poster mentioned Tom has overthrown Randy before, and their timing still being slightly off on the deep ball in-game isn't that unusual. I mean, this is their first year together.

Every team has a QB who can chuck it 60 yards. (Ok, ok ...
except for the Jersey Jets.)

Those teams blessed with a WR who can go down there and grab it
basically have two options:
You can try to hit the streaker in stride ... and often get the TD with YAC.
Or you can intentionally throw a baby comeback route ... throw short.
Then the WR has the great advantage of knowing that is what is coming.
He's almost always much taller than the DB, to win the jump ball.
And, failing to connect, the chances of eliciting a PI call are pretty good.

Since Tommy Terrif already has overshot Moss a couple times,
the mini-comeback route ... still very deep ... seems to carry better rewards.
When we see the "short" deep one ... it's rarely by accident.

Last edited:
You don't watch football and you haven't watched 3/4 of the Steelers games, as illustrated by your brutal non-football analysis. Either that or you don't know what you're watching.

The Ravens applied heavy pressure up front. Hopefully you understand that 5 or 6 cannot block 8 or 9. Pitt took what the defense gave them and passed all over their secondary. With Ed Reed in bracket coverage. As for scrambling and throwing on the run, that's what Ben does better than anyone, so it's a strength not a weakness. Something the Pats had better gameplan for. And even then, the two TDs to Holmes on MNF were strikes from the pocket. I hope Belichick shares your lowly opinion and thinks Ben is too dumb to dissect a secondary. This is a much different Ben from the rookie you confused in the 04 AFCCG.

As for the Pit losses - as I'd stated in another thread, both were road losses after travelling cross country. The ARZ game had a special teams debacle (punt return for TD) and Pitt lost their Pro Bowl NT (Hampton), his backup (Hoke), and Polamalu for the entire 2nd half, when they lost the lead. Chalk that loss up to being Whisenhunt's Super Bowl, much like Gruden vs Raiders.

The Denver loss was less forgivable, the o-line was tooled that entire game. Still Ben brought the team back with two 4th quarter TD drives to tie. With Shanahan & co coming off the brutal loss to the Chargers, they had the better gameplan and execution in the 1st half (You Pats fans may be familiar with this.)

Ward's comments about Spygate were dumb. The Steelers got outcoached and outplayed in those 2 AFFCG games. But somehow I highly doubt that (a) those one or two Steeler comments have any impact on the game itself (b) some nobody on a message board has his finger on the pulse of the team's emotional state coming up to the game.

As for the wheelchair smack-talk, I would say coming off the short week after you play the Ravens, it's the Pats medic team that should be on call from the sidelines. Remember that in all the Pats-Steelers contests of the recent past, regardless of the score, the Pats have been the more brittle team... think Ty Law, Rodney, Matt Light, etc.

It will be an interesting game nonetheless.

Ah, yes I do and it's not only my take, thank you very much, enjoy the game, the Ravens will provide a decent warmup to the Stealers and the Stealers will be loosing badly. It's a given, the Stealers just said too much, sorry ! I hate to burst your bubble ! Well not really, I live in Pittsburgh, most of you are pretty simple and I love watching you all walk around in shock, like Ben's first year, I was so giddy !

As for the Steelers two losses? well, we lost fair and square, but the Steelers have a new coach and if I had to blame the losses on anything it is the fact that they are still gelling as an offense. Defensively the Steelers are very solid, probably the best in the NFL, but the short quick passing game seems to be our weakness. This should be a good game, I am not really expecting a blowout either way.

I haven't read this thread but I'm just going to come in and point out the Steelers have played the 31st ranked schedule. The only team with an easier schedule has been the Ravens. And they're 6-2. 6-2 against the 2nd easiest schedule in the league. So sorry if I'm not scared of the Steelers.

Last edited:
I haven't read this thread but I'm just going to come in and point out the Steelers have played the 31st ranked schedule. The only team with an easier schedule has been the Ravens. And they're 6-2. 6-2 against the 2nd easiest schedule in the league. So sorry if I'm not scared of the Steelers.
I dont really care if YOUR personally scared of the Steelers. For your sake though I would hope Bill Belichick doesn't feel the same way.

I dont really care if YOUR personally scared of the Steelers. For your sake though I would hope Bill Belichick doesn't feel the same way.
We can go back through the weeks. Indy, Dallas, Cleveland, SD, we hear the same diatribe every week. Then those people quit after they get trounced and we move on to the next week's fans.

The big thing for Pittsburgh is they have a huge Home-Away split and we play them at home.

At home Pittsburgh has scored 122 and allowed 26. An average win of 31-3.
On the road Pittsburgh has scored 100 and allowed 72. An average win of 25-18.

Still not bad on the road but not nearly as good.

At home the Patriots average win is 41-11.

So we have +30 compared to Pitt's +7 at the location of the game.

Sorry but I can't help but to think about them losing to Arizona and Denver. Looks like this team has a hard time showing up sometimes.

We can go back through the weeks. Indy, Dallas, Cleveland, SD, we hear the same diatribe every week. Then those people quit after they get trounced and we move on to the next week's fans.
While I am not going to guarantee a Steelers victory(guarantees arent worth anything anyway)I am going to go ahead and say that I highly doubt that the Steelers get "trounced" by the Patriots, the number one rated defense vs. the number one rated offense sounds like a pretty fair matchup to me. The Steelers have plenty of talent and a fierce defense that can hang with anybody in the NFL.

While I am not going to guarantee a Steelers victory(guarantees arent worth anything anyway)I am going to go ahead and say that I highly doubt that the Steelers get "trounced" by the Patriots, the number one rated defense vs. the number one rated offense sounds like a pretty fair matchup to me. The Steelers have plenty of talent and a fierce defense that can hang with anybody in the NFL.

High, I just want to pop in to mention that it seems like we hear this every week.

Indy and Washington were both "the best defense NE has faced." I know for sure that Washington was #1 when they played NE. I think Dallas fans were saying the same thing. I know SD fans were chirping about how tough their defense would be. Baltimore fans will be saying the same thing in a few weeks.

So far the only game that was close was rigged against NE. It's not hubris when we say that, regardless what Pitt does, this game may very easily end up being a blowout. It's been our experience this year that no defense can stop this team.

Last edited:
Every team has a QB who can chuck it 60 yards. (Ok, ok ...
except for the Jersey Jets.)

Those teams blessed with a WR who can go down there and grab it
basically have two options:
You can try to hit the streaker in stride ... and often get the TD with YAC.
Or you can intentionally throw a baby comeback route ... throw short.
Then the WR has the great advantage of knowing that is what is coming.
He's almost always much taller than the DB, to win the jump ball.
And, failing to connect, the chances of eliciting a PI call are pretty good.

Since Tommy Terrif already has overshot Moss a couple times,
the mini-comeback route ... still very deep ... seems to carry better rewards.
When we see the "short" deep one ... it's rarely by accident.

Hello. First Post!

I haven't seen Brady throw a consistently accurate long-ball. Usually, the WR has to make a very good/great catch. His short/medium stuff is excellent.

Last edited:
I know the prevailing sentiment among fans is to look past New England and Indy as the 2 best teams and lump every one else in the category of who's left over...well we DO need to take serious note of Pittsburgh.

They have been healthy all year 0 players to IR.
They have allowed just 98 points in 8 games.

They play a huge game against Cleveland this weekend.
IMO opinion we have to root for the browns to put up some points on these guys...
Good. We'll need a few challenges in the regulr season before the playoffs start. The Pitt game and at the Giants week 17 should be pretty good tune-ups.

I agree that Pittsburgh and NY will be the two games where they will actually have some competition. The Giants may be fighting for playoff positioning, and the Steelers possibly trying to keep pace with Indy for a bye. That being said, I don't think the Steelers defense has faced any serious competition yet. They did play the Browns, but that was with Frye. We'll see how good they are today with the new improved Browns. As far as Ben goes, he is dangerous when he gets out of the pocket, and Ward is a good physical WR. But Tony Romo was the same, and the Patriots managed to slow him down. I don't think the Steelers will be able to keep pace. My main concern would be injuries. There seems to be a lot of them with the Steelers opponents. But it should keep them on their toes for the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't bet against NE in any of the remaining games.

I am sure that is what the Chargers thought last weekend also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes