PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Pick 182 Michael Onwenu, G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably Brandon Brooks, DJ Fluker, Gabe Jackson, Denzelle Good & now Onwenu.

I checked rotoword for info.

Brooks, Fluker and Jackson are RG's.

Good is listed as a LT. Perhaps he sometimes has subbed as a guard.
=====
I have no issues with his weight. I just don't think that Onwenu will be a LT.

yes, a potential future starter at RG

I see no reason for a 6th rounder to be expected to be a starter or even Game Day backup in his rookie year. I don't know many 368 LG's, his playing weight. I understand that he was done to 344 for the combine tests.

Who are the heaviest LG's in the NFL?

The point is we already have a starter at RG And, if Thuney leaves, None at LG. As for him being a rookie, both Mason and Thuney started their rookie years I believe (Andrews too). That doesn’t seem to be too much of an obstacle.

...I just don't think that Onwenu will be a LT.
I think you mean Left Guard, but I agree with both: There is no feckin way he is ever playing on the left side of the OL here.

The point is we already have a starter at RG And, if Thuney leaves, None at LG. As for him being a rookie, both Mason and Thuney started their rookie years I believe (Andrews too). That doesn’t seem to be too much of an obstacle.

Where we differ is the ability of a 350-375 pound RG to be able to start at LT in his rookie year in the NFL. I believe that Thuney was a LT in college, a very natural source of NFL LG's. And no, I don't think that even Mason would be as good at LG.

So, the bottom line is that ability to shift positions. Should we consider Onwenu as our center if Andrews isn't up to playing? How about LT? For me, an NFL rookie isn't necessary NFL quality at many positions, usually just one, although flexibility is a good thing.
=======
Where we differ is that I see a 350 pound RG as having flexibility to play RT, while you see that flexibilty at LG and perhaps other positions.
======
As an aside, I would be SHOCKED if Onwenu beat out Froholdt at LT if Thuney is traded. I would be less shocked if he played some DT.

As an aside, I would be SHOCKED if Onwenu beat out Froholdt at LT if Thuney is traded. I would be less shocked if he played some DT.

Agreed.

His Michigan coach's comments are that Onmenu is a beast blocking straight forward, no-one can push him back and he has freakish lower body strength. Sounds like a situational "pocket collapsing" DT to me.

Where we differ is the ability of a 350-375 pound RG to be able to start at LT in his rookie year in the NFL. I believe that Thuney was a LT in college, a very natural source of NFL LG's. And no, I don't think that even Mason would be as good at LG.

So, the bottom line is that ability to shift positions. Should we consider Onwenu as our center if Andrews isn't up to playing? How about LT? For me, an NFL rookie isn't necessary NFL quality at many positions, usually just one, although flexibility is a good thing.
=======
Where we differ is that I see a 350 pound RG as having flexibility to play RT, while you see that flexibilty at LG and perhaps other positions.
======

I think you’re putting too much emphasis on the LG needs to be athletic dynamic. That originates from the time put their pass rushers on the QBs blindside meaning the LT was up against the oppositions best pass rusher (and the LG needed to be athletic to cover). But elite pass rushers are just as likely to line up over the RT nowadays which makes OL alignments a little less standard than in the recent past.

=======
======

Froholdt is a C/G. He will never play T. If Thuney is traded / released then Froholdt or Onwenu will start at LG. I’m hoping it’s Fro with Onwenu backing up and playing NT when needed.

Froholdt is a C/G. He will never play T. If Thuney is traded / released then Froholdt or Onwenu will start at LG. I’m hoping it’s Fro with Onwenu backing up and playing NT when needed.
Yeah I wonder if MGT is sometimes typing LT when he actually means LG...

I agree. That scenario requires a healthy Andrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes