PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW's Scalavino: Pats will target one big name FA - Mario Williams, Bowe or Avril

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Eric Scalavino (sp?) of Patriots Football weekly was on with his thoughts this morning from what hes hearing inside of the halls of Gillette.

He seriously believes that the Patriots will target 1 big name Free Agent. But doent know who. He believes the Pats will allow one or two big name players to come off the market view what they're getting paid and go from there. Believes that if possible and workable for the short term rather than long that Mario Williams could definitely be a target on a three year deal possibly four.

Thinks a player more like Bowe is going to be targeted or Cliff Avril. But kept going back to the depth of CB's in this FA and how the Patriots might be too tempted by one of the 5 to stay away from at least one of them.

Very good phone interview, very informative.

I call BS on this. What is he really hearing right now as it relates to FA spending. I would think they just had a few days off and will soon get started on their own FA. I think the only thing he could have come up with is that the Money is there if they want to and there is talent that will be free.

Nothing the PFW crew shares is ever terribly insightful. They are both opinionated and in some cases resentful of the hoody for not actually allowing them any real insight. Most of what they blather is their own fanboy musings.

I call BS on this. What is he really hearing right now as it relates to FA spending. I would think they just had a few days off and will soon get started on their own FA. I think the only thing he could have come up with is that the Money is there if they want to and there is talent that will be free.

I can believe it. I mean the Patriots have never waited for the offseason to evaluate potential FA's

I agree, except I don't see anywhere were it says he's "hearing" anything. I think it's all just his personal opinion - which IMO is no more credible than any of 100+ posters on this board.

I agree, except I don't see anywhere were it says he's "hearing" anything. I think it's all just his personal opinion - which IMO is no more credible than any of 100+ posters on this board.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Jonathan was on an ESPN radio podcast yesterday with Adam Jones and he stated that the coaches had barely wrapped up their exit interviews Thursday and were given a couple of days off starting Friday and would be back at it on Monday to start their post season evaluation of the team before getting on to issues like FA (our own and others) and eventually the draft.

I can believe it. I mean the Patriots have never waited for the offseason to evaluate potential FA's

I am sure they know what will be out there and likely have a list of guys to lookout for but highly doubt they lock in on anyone until the market is close to open and prices are more apparent but more importantly until they have dealt with their own pending FA.
Their FA needs and wants will be drastically altered by what happens to Wes, Waters, Carter, Anderson, BJGE, and others.

Mario Williams is going to make 14+ million next year there is no way in hell the pats even talk to him they are only 20 million under the cap and have a few big name FA's of there own to sign and Draft picks, the pats will sign a few JAG's and some vets hopeing the get the next Waters Anderson and Carter

One thing we know about the "halls of Gillette" is that they leak like a sieve when it comes to accurate strategic information. :rolleyes:

My money's on disinformation or somebody trying to grab a headline during a dead NFL reporting period. :singing:

I have a feeling, and I'm not sure why, with zero inside information might I add, that this team is going to make a run at Cortland Finnegan. I think he would be a great fit as far as skillset on the field. The guy is a solid corner, plays with an edge, and can cover. Sure, he is a little crazy, but so was Rodney Harrison before he got here (or that is how he was perceived by many). Between the fight with AJ, and the walkout incident, he may have hurt his reputation enough to allow the Pats to either:

1. Get him on the cheap for a character rebuild one year deal (kind of like the Bodden deal but for more obviously).

2. Get him on a slightly less than full market value long term deal.

I think a guy like this on the outside, with McCourty, Moore, and Ras-I coming back, along with a healthy Chung, and then maybe a safety draft pick (2nd round), could change the face of the back end.

Then you have three draft picks to try to find a deep threat, and maybe a young stud DT or OLB.

I think it is very unlikely that the Pats coaches have had much time to wrap up the season,let alone review FA tapes. I would think right now the postseason physicals, player interviews, and offseason program planning are taking precedence in the Pats headquarters.

I think that further down the line BB will target a bunch of second tier FA and I believe he will seek trades rather than over priced veteran FA. BB appears to be not be against trading future day 3 draft picks.

I think he has seen the light as far as weighing the benefits of drafting players that have little chance to crack our top 53 and ultimately end up cutting 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th rounders so they can wind up playing on other teams vs. trading those picks for 1 or two players that can make the team and contribute.

It is a fine line to walk between having all your picks vs. trading too much and losing depth, but BB knows his roster and how to churn it as well as anybody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents