PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: The Colts are cheaters???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
From PFT: All about a Madden comment on the Colts stealing the SD hand signals....
Per Madden, San Diego’s defense used a lot of hand signals when the two teams last met in November 2008. But Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera believed that Manning “had their signals.”
This time around, the Chargers are relying upon the radio system, which debuted this season.
But, wait. If the Colts had the Chargers’ signals, would that mean that the Colts were cheating?
It depends on how the Colts got them. If Indy’s advance scouts used a pencil and paper to crack the code, it’s fair game. But if they videotaped the signals, then it’s cheating.
Either way, the Colts have the same advantage (allegedly) that the Patriots got from their system of videotaping defensive signals.
Cue the Patriots haters, who’ll accuse us of being
Dungy...cheat??

Last edited:
Re: PFT:The Colts are Cheaters???

From PFT: All about a Madden comment on the Colts stealing the SD hand signals....

Dungy...cheat??

Well, if folks actually READ religious texts, they'd find that Satan, Lucifer, whatever, doesn't have horns and a long tail, but appears as a handsome man, with a silver tongue, who charms all those around him into giving him what he wants. ;)

Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

much ado about nothing just like spygate was...

i think the pats have to make more religious use of the defensive headset and call their signals into their players. i think manning saw Belichick say something to our D or make some sort of signal during the pats colts game earlier this year and they made it into a big play.

Stealing signals isn't cheating. Thats what makes the whole spygate thing stupid. It was simply improper video camera placement.

If they aren't cheating they aren't trying to win. Anyway its not cheating, it's a time honored tradition in sports.

Yes, but isn't that exactly the point. In addition, it points out the ridiculousness of the rule -- pen and paper is OK but videotape is not even if the end result, getting the signals, is the same.

Yes, but isn't that exactly the point. In addition, it points out the ridiculousness of the rule -- pen and paper is OK but videotape is not even if the end result, getting the signals, is the same.

Yeah, by the media's own hysterical foaming at the mouth, stealing signals WAS cheating, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I will wait for Steve Young and Mark Schlereth to freak out accordingly.

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

I thought the discussion of "paranoia gate," as Michaels described it, was intended to make the Chargers' concept look ridiculous.

The premise was Manning was like rain man, capable of deciphering those signals from the field himself. He is a great QB, but I think it's a stretch to call him an actual genius. It sounded more to be a dig on San Diego.

While I do think he will anticipate a defense, as I suspect any veteran QB might, and occasionally throw a bad pick doing so, that is legal.

Last edited:

Stealing signals isn't cheating. Thats what makes the whole spygate thing stupid. It was simply improper video camera placement.

Which was the point I made on Florio's board.

Yet you've got plenty of fans who are brainwashed enough to delude themselves that's not the case.

I hope they used a video camera to do it so they can get a taste of their own medicine. How much does anybody want to bet that, if they did use a camera to do it, this story won't blow up like our's did?

EDIT: Isn't someone from Jimmy Johnson's old staff that taught him how to tape signals now on Dungy's staff?

Last edited:

I thought the discussion of "paranoia gate," as Michaels described it, was intended to make the Chargers' concept look ridiculous.

The premise was Manning was like rain man, capable of deciphering those signals from the field himself. He is a great QB, but I think it's a stretch to call him an actual genius. It sounded more to be a dig on San Diego.

While I do think he will anticipate a defense, as I suspect any veteran QB might, and occasionally throw a bad pick doing so, that is legal.

remember when the chargers came to foxboro after spygate broke when norv turner spelled out the plays instead of giving them the playbook? Thats paranoia typical of norv turner.

remember when the chargers came to foxboro after spygate broke when norv turner spelled out the plays instead of giving them the playbook? Thats paranoia typical of norv turner.

haha yeah. good thing they did that, if the pats had stolen the plays the chargers might not have won that game :)

Dungy...cheat??

The simple answer is, yes. I believe they all bend the rules to the point of breaking. Bill was the scapegoat for the sins of MANY football coaches, past and present.

Last edited:

That and the story of actual security tasked with guarding the offensive gameplan out of fear the Patriots would actually task people to steal it, Mission Impossible style.

I heard that and I immediately thought of that scene in the Best of Times where the winning high school is pulling plays off a computer and a player asks "What type of offense do you think they will try to run?," to which the booster/sponsor responds "they are probably diagramming plays with rocks and sticks," and the scene flashes to the other team doing just that.

That is a good statement of Norv Turner's coaching knowledge (rocks and sticks) when compared to Belichick and a good illustration of how absurd it is for him to believe Belichick would need to steel his crayon and fingerpaint offensive gameplan to defeat it.

Well, if folks actually READ religious texts, they'd find that Satan, Lucifer, whatever, doesn't have horns and a long tail, but appears as a handsome man, with a silver tongue, who charms all those around him into giving him what he wants. ;)

Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

Tom Brady? is that you?

Yeah, by the media's own hysterical foaming at the mouth, stealing signals WAS cheating, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I will wait for Steve Young and Mark Schlereth to freak out accordingly.

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

That had to be the most infuriating thing about that ridiculous "scandal."
People who know better were so eager to get their ugly mugs on tv that they purposely misstated what the rules and the infraction were, and I include the great and glorious commissioner in that indictment. His was a failure of commission by taking a #1 draft pick away from the Patriots, thus making it seem as though it was the worst rules violation ever in the history of the NFL, and a failure of omission by not cooling down the lynch mob atmosphere created by his over-the-top response to the infraction.

No team should have to go through what the Patriots had to go through (thanks to good ol' ESPN)

But...some of their fans do:)

one day guys

one day the pats will get their due from spygate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes