PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective on T.Brady's Super Bowl 53 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning got an MVP and Brady didn't.... whoppy dee effin' dooo....

3JFT.gif

Irony: Last year Brady sets a personal best in Super Bowl passing yardage, is one point short of the most points scored in a SB, loses by 8.

This year, Brady scores the fewest points he ever scored in a SB, third fewest yard total, wins by 10.

On Brady’s first pass, the interception, Edelman was streaking over the middle wide open. It was going to be like that Chargers-49ers Steve Young Pass fo Jerry Rice where he took it all the way and set the tone for the game.

Look at it like this: Patriots set the SBs record for highest point total in a Loss, and now lowest point total in a Win, in consecutive years. Karmic justice.

It wasn't a stellar day, but I really don't think he played poorly. Couple quick thoughts on this:
  • As Sammy said, Edelman was the only one getting open consistently. You can make argument he should have been going to Edelman even more so.
  • Credit to Wade Phillips' defensive scheme and execution by the players. They largely neutralized every other player, most notably taking out the running backs.
  • The interception wasn't a great ball (would have been an easy completion if he'd put it outside shoulder) but it also was one Hogan could have gone up and gotten, and unfortunate to get it intercepted on a tip drill.
  • Hogan was targeted 6 times for zero completions (!), don't recall the other passes being poor throws, just inability of Hogan to get open and perhaps on Brady a bit for forcing it to him.
  • Speaking of forcing the ball, only real criticism I have of his performance is the pressure early caused him to rush his progressions for the next few quarters (the fourth and 1 incompletion to Gronk stands out as he wasn't pressured at all yet attempted an almost impossible threading of the needle. Of course he rectified this in the fourth quarter.
  • Now, the biggest point: for ALL of the comments and criticisms above, the offense moved the ball for over 400 yards. Look at the results of these drives:
  1. Interception in FG range
  2. Missed FG from mid 40s
  3. Punt at Rams 40 on 4th and 5
  4. FG
  5. Punt at NE 25 on 4th and 2
  6. Failed 4th Down Conversion at Rams 32 on 4th and 1
  7. Punt at NE 49 on 4th and 2
  8. Punt at NE 34 on 4th and 5
  9. Punt at LA 44 on 4th and 4
  10. TD
  11. FG
  • Out of the 11 drives, NINE were in or near Rams territory. As well as the Rams defense was playing, the Patriots were moving the ball, they just consistently failed to execute at the worst time. If they make that 4th down, the FG, convert a couple more of those 4th and shorts in the middle of the field, they easily (EASILY) would have put up over 20.
Ultimately the actual points scored is what matters, but I think the offense was a lot more successful moving the ball than the score indicates. If they'd had 3 more 3 and outs but were able to get down into the red zone on even a couple of those drives I think they win by 3 scores.

It wasn't a stellar day, but I really don't think he played poorly. Couple quick thoughts on this:
  • As Sammy said, Edelman was the only one getting open consistently. You can make argument he should have been going to Edelman even more so.
  • Credit to Wade Phillips' defensive scheme and execution by the players. They largely neutralized every other player, most notably taking out the running backs.
  • The interception wasn't a great ball (would have been an easy completion if he'd put it outside shoulder) but it also was one Hogan could have gone up and gotten, and unfortunate to get it intercepted on a tip drill.
  • Hogan was targeted 6 times for zero completions (!), don't recall the other passes being poor throws, just inability of Hogan to get open and perhaps on Brady a bit for forcing it to him.
  • Speaking of forcing the ball, only real criticism I have of his performance is the pressure early caused him to rush his progressions for the next few quarters (the fourth and 1 incompletion to Gronk stands out as he wasn't pressured at all yet attempted an almost impossible threading of the needle. Of course he rectified this in the fourth quarter.
  • Now, the biggest point: for ALL of the comments and criticisms above, the offense moved the ball for over 400 yards. Look at the results of these drives:
  1. Interception in FG range
  2. Missed FG from mid 40s
  3. Punt at Rams 40 on 4th and 5
  4. FG
  5. Punt at NE 25 on 4th and 2
  6. Failed 4th Down Conversion at Rams 32 on 4th and 1
  7. Punt at NE 49 on 4th and 2
  8. Punt at NE 34 on 4th and 5
  9. Punt at LA 44 on 4th and 4
  10. TD
  11. FG
  • Out of the 11 drives, NINE were in or near Rams territory. As well as the Rams defense was playing, the Patriots were moving the ball, they just consistently failed to execute at the worst time. If they make that 4th down, the FG, convert a couple more of those 4th and shorts in the middle of the field, they easily (EASILY) would have put up over 20.
Ultimately the actual points scored is what matters, but I think the offense was a lot more successful moving the ball than the score indicates. If they'd had 3 more 3 and outs but were able to get down into the red zone on even a couple of those drives I think they win by 3 scores.

Hogan really sucks now. I hope they don’t count on him being a key role player next season. Unless it’s a zone and the defense decides not to bother covering him, he is terrible. I’ve been banging the Dorsett drum for some time now, not that Dorsett is great but a better option then Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back