PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect trade down scenario

I'd be fine with trading down from 3 to 4 with Arizona, as I'm positive they'd be taking Harrison and everyone else would still be available for the Pats. The trick there is bluffing a bit to make Arizona think you've got better offers on the table to move down further, otherwise they'd have no reason to trade up. It can be done, but for the same reason you're advocating for this, if Arizona has Harrison and Nabers rated similarly, there's no real incentive for them to make that move either.
Very true.
They would have to value Harrison Jr greater than Nabors or vice versa even for that work.

IMO, there are NO trade down scenarios as long as we like ANY of the top 4 QB's. Just, make our choice and pick our man at 3. Then another team can draft the leftover at #4 or even later.

Last edited:
IMO, there are NO trade down scenarios as long as we like ANY of the top 4 QB's. Just, make our choice and pick our man at 3. Then another team can draft the leftover #4 or even later.
Daniels is my least favorite among the top 4.

He is older and I worry that his body won’t hold up.

If we stay at 3 and pick QB we will have one or both of Maye and McCarthy there.

Daniels is my least favorite among the top 4.

He is older and I worry that his body won’t hold up.

If we stay at 3 and pick QB we will have one or both of Maye and McCarthy there.
Patients are having a very long meeting with Daniels, I hope they are doing so with all top 6 or 7 QBs.

Daniels is most definitely in play.

Patriots trade down to 5

Let’s say Wash goes for Daniels.
Patriots don’t love Maye.
Patriots trade down to 5 for the Chargers third and a 5th, so LAC can get Marvin Harrison Jr.
Cardinals are forced to take Nabors.
Patriots at 5 have the option to take Maye or McCarthy, or trade down again based on offers and how they see the board.
you want to risk losing the QB you want for a 3rd and 5th round pick? no way

Which then the trade to 4 or 5 falls right to the Patriots hands.
I just hope our front office is savvy enough to pull this off.

If the Chargers move up to NE's 3 to take MHJ the concern is another team trading with AZ at 4 and taking the Pats guy. A deal with AZ to swap picks 3 and 4 is the more likely play in your scenario.

Last edited:
If the Chargers move up to NE's 3 take MHJ the concern is another team trading with AZ at 4 and taking the Pats guy. A deal with AZ to swap picks 3 and 4 is the more likely play in your scenario.
If a WR gets picked at #3, there are still two top QBs and one gets to the Pats regardless.

Is that QB their guy though?

Last edited:
IMO, there are NO trade down scenarios as long as we like ANY of the top 4 QB's. Just, make our choice and pick our man at 3. Then another team can draft the leftover #4 or even later.

Sure there is, if AZ is salivating for MHJ and concerned with losing him to the Chargers moving up. That has to be worth swapping picks with the Pats at a cost of one of their three 3rd round picks.

Last edited:
If a WR gets picked at #3, there are still two top QBs and one gets to the Pars regardless.

Is that QB their guy though?

The devil is in that detail

I think we can play this where we net two extra picks and get the top QB on our board.

If at all we trade down it should be to 4 , so do a 3 way trade with Giants, cardinals for their 6th, second rounder this year , first and second for next year. Give cardinals the sixth and second rounder this year . We take their 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year.

So we drop from 3 to 4 provided we like both maye and mccarthy .

Giants get 3
Cardinals get 6

Chargers can get marvin harrison while cardinals can get nabers and an additional second.

Only if we have both guys rated equally.
So, we can evaluate, evaluate and evaluate and do our best to CHOOSE our future franchise QB.

OR, we can get an extra pick or two and allow another team to CHOOSE our future franchise QB.

I STRONGLY want our staff to make THEIR choice. Let's be clear, the three QB's a very different.

The devil is in that detail
You don't make that trade unless you trust both AZ and LAC. It they tell you they are taking WRs and/or Alt then you have to trust them you don't go back to 5 without knowing you still get the same guy.

AZ isn't really a trust thing since youd make that trade with a minute left on the clock and no time for them to further negotiate.

LAC is a little trickier because then you have to trust AZ who you just facilitated LAC jumping them. But if you do your homework and know they aren't walking away from Nabors or Alt then you have to trust the work you put in.

You don't make that trade unless you trust both AZ and LAC. It they tell you they are taking WRs and/or Alt then you have to trust them you don't go back to 5 without knowing you still get the same guy.

AZ isn't really a trust thing since youd make that trade with a minute left on the clock and no time for them to further negotiate.

LAC is a little trickier because then you have to trust AZ who you just facilitated LAC jumping them. But if you do your homework and know they aren't walking away from Nabors or Alt then you have to trust the work you put in.
That reminded of an incident a few years ago.

I don’t remember which team it was that failed to get their pick in on time, but a few teams subsequently jumped their spot before they got the pick in.

That's why I'm good with a pick swap with AZ and leery of doing anything with LAC. NE can ensure what AZ does at 3 thus protecting 'their guy' being there at 4. They make a deal with LAC and they open a Pandora's box of possibility

That's why I'm good with a pick swap with AZ and leery of doing anything with LAC. NE can ensure what AZ does at 3 thus protecting 'their guy' being there at 4. They make a deal with LAC and they open a Pandora's box of possibility
Yeah agreed. It will bring the least back in compensation but it also seems like a no brainer.

On the flip side AZ can just call our bluff and just wait for MHJ knowing we aren't trading away our best shot at a Q.

If at all we trade down it should be to 4 , so do a 3 way trade with Giants, cardinals for their 6th, second rounder this year , first and second for next year. Give cardinals the sixth and second rounder this year . We take their 2nd rounder this year and first rounder next year.

So we drop from 3 to 4 provided we like both maye and mccarthy .

Giants get 3
Cardinals get 6

Chargers can get marvin harrison while cardinals can get nabers and an additional second.
Can't recall ever seeing a 3-way trade in the NFL on draft day, though it's very common in the NBA.

I like moving from 3 to 4 if we have the QB's ranked equally. AZ also has pick 27, and I'd be very happy to move up from 34 to 27 as the comp, plus say their low 3rd rounder (they have 3). Makes it easy for AZ to make that deal, we're still guaranteed to get one of those 2 QB's, we're in much better position at 27 to get a top OT, and we have two 3rd's that can be packaged to move half way up the 2nd round for a top WR.

Yeah agreed. It will bring the least back in compensation but it also seems like a no brainer.

On the flip side AZ can just call our bluff and just wait for MHJ knowing we aren't trading away our best shot at a Q.

The question becomes if your AZ, with the draft capital they have, is that a chance worth taking ? Particularly when looking at a potential generational receiver who could redefine your offense for years to come? Murray's contract has them locked up at QB getting Harrison on a rookie contract would be immense for them.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back