PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats To Sign Backup OT

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
per Reiss
The Patriots are signing free-agent OT Jerald Hawkins, who they had in for a workout earlier this week.
==============
For now, this is needed because of the unavailability of Brown. Of course, that presumes that folks don't think that we don't have enough competition at backup OT with Cajuste, Cunningham, Herron and Sherman.

I assume this means Cajuste does not look good in his 3rd year. Cunningham was always a camp body. Herron is practicing at back up left tackle. Sherman is bring kicked inside to backup the guard position I assume, but we will see if he makes the 53.

I assume this means Cajuste does not look good in his 3rd year. Cunningham was always a camp body. Herron is practicing at back up left tackle. Sherman is bring kicked inside to backup the guard position I assume, but we will see if he makes the 53.
I don't think many July signings have to do with who does/doesn't look good. Purely about making sure there are enough guys to rotate in practice.

Does anyone have any friends who are Steelers die-hards, who can give some insight about this guy? The Steelers line is a huge question mark, so the fact that they let him walk leads me to assume that he is mediocre, at best. There are also a lot of other teams with much less OL talent than the Pats and they weren’t interested in him. Don’t see him making the 53 but could be a candidate for the expanded PS.

The Steelers line is a huge question mark, so the fact that they let him walk leads me to assume that he is mediocre, at best.
Also just need bodies to play the fourth quarters and last preseason game and nothing else. There are adult entertainment industry off-camera workers with more shelf life and responsibility than most of these cases of early camp signings more so then "diamond in the rough".

Does anyone have any friends who are Steelers die-hards, who can give some insight about this guy? The Steelers line is a huge question mark, so the fact that they let him walk leads me to assume that he is mediocre, at best. There are also a lot of other teams with much less OL talent than the Pats and they weren’t interested in him. Don’t see him making the 53 but could be a candidate for the expanded PS.
I have a friend who's a Steelers fan. Says he's soft, and won't make the roster

Wear it well, Jerald! Don't go wobbly on me now!
Hawkins and Cunningham are basically the same in games played, starts, size and age. Their skill set is probably not too far from each other. If those aspects are somehwhat equal...I'll take Cunningham with his Patriots experience.

He’s not really nimble enough to be an NFL starter or a good backup. You can’t fix that.

At least Cunningham, Cachoo & Herron understand that if they don't perform well enough in camp, Bill will claim/sign somebody else who might perform better than they have...And after cut-down day, that shouldn't be too difficult...

He’s not really nimble enough to be an NFL starter or a good backup. You can’t fix that.
We have a need for 3 backup OL's. There is lots of competition. Sure, it would be great to sign a starter. However, we have 6 of them. That isn't the current need on the OL.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back