PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

Does the Brisset signing signal a style change? One that matches up with a college QB theyd prefer to draft?

But Mac’s INTs were so exciting!
We would have made the playoffs in 2022 if it was 10/12 120 yds we were getting from the QB position.

Does the Brisset signing signal a style change? One that matches up with a college QB theyd prefer to draft?
I don't really think so. Brissett's a standard pro-style QB. And none of the top QBs in the draft have run anything like that.

It's negative because if the 3rd pick in the draft isn't quickly better than Jacoby Brissett who loses 2 out every 3 games he plays in the NFL then you have problems, sitting in theory sounds ideal especially for a project like Maye but the 3rd pick in the draft should be better than Brissett in very short order.

It's much easier to sit a quarterback when the team is competitive and winning games, i just don't see how this team with 18-30 Jacoby Brissett is going to be competitive he was 4-7 with Cleveland in 2022 with a far superior roster.

All of these plans go out of the window as soon as the losses start piling up and the QB position is contributing to it.

This is like when the Patriots drafted Mac Jones, if he wasn't better than the corpse of Cam Newton then you immediately had problems.
There are other elements worth considering. What you don’t want is a young QB developing bad habits because the OLine is terrible, the wr’s can’t get open, etc. This allows you 4-6 weeks minimum of the offense figuring things out, the Oline gaining cohesion, the QB’s and Van Pelt figuring out the best route combos, while the new guy learns how to be a pro. Brissett can take the monster shots from the missed blocking assignments while the young QB gets up to speed on the sidelines.

We are a long way from competing. The talent cupboard is bare. We need multiple years of high picks. That is just our reality.

Last edited:
Underwhelming but what did you prefer out of curiousity?

Wilson, Cousins, Fields or someone else?
You keep zappe.

you give him reps n the new system.

you build your long term back up that way.

You keep zappe.

You...do understand that Zappe might actually be worse than Mac Jones, right?

Brissett is that guy that tells the phrase "game manager" to hold his beer. I don't want the Pats to go drunkin' sailors in FA, but this is terrible signing.

He has played different systems but he came through college playing the Earnhardt-Perkins... which is why the Pat's drafted him in the first place. He was efficient in college and could run some, he didn't turn it over.

Brady was facing a 4 game suspension that season and JimmyG was the only other QB on the roster, they needed a QB who could possibly step in and play his rookie year... and he did.

You...do understand that Zappe might actually be worse than Mac Jones, right?
yeah, dont care.

Zappe plays well, we win

Zappe plays poorly, we get a better draft pick.

You keep zappe.

Oof. I respect your opinion, to each their own but I think Zappe is awful. And we are drafting a QB of the future and we saw how Zappe was with Mac. They basically refused to communicate with each other at all because of the QB competition.

I’d prefer our rookie to have someone who will want to teach and work with him rather than have some tense, ultra-territorial relationship.

He has played different systems but he came through college playing the Earnhardt-Perkins... which is why the Pat's drafted him in the first place. He was efficient in college and could run some, he didn't turn it over.

Brady was facing a 4 game suspension that season and JimmyG was the only other QB on the roster, they needed a QB who could possibly step in and play his rookie year... and he did.
And he played in this current WCO iteration with the Browns.

Nice move. This is all about having a good mentor who knows AVP's system for our next rookie QB. That is why he is here, not because they think he can win games on Sunday.

Oof. I respect your opinion, to each their own but I think Zappe is awful. And we are drafting a QB of the future and we saw how Zappe was with Mac. They basically refused to communicate with each other at all because of the QB competition.

I’d prefer our rookie to have someone who will want to teach and work with him rather than have some tense relationship.
Oh please. Stop with the mentoring bull.

The rookie quarterback will develop on his own skills, drive and ambition.

If we need a veteran QB to mentor the rookie, we drafted a loser.

yeah, dont care.

Zappe plays well, we win

Zappe plays poorly, we get a better draft pick.
No.

Zappe plays, we're lucky to be 4-13. Look at his numbers, and look at Mac's numbers. They're basically the same.

I'm not willing to waste YET ANOTHER year of this defense on a tank year, sorry. You've got them for 2, maybe 3 more years as a unit. You need to show improvement, obvious improvement, next season. I think Jacoby Brissett, who does suck, sucks a hell of a lot less than what we had.

They didn't *have* to be 4-13 last year, if they had even a marginally competent quarterback.

Hes the same as mac jones. no better no worse.
This ^ is a terrible take...

Brissett as a starter:

926-1511 attempts, 61% completions, 9994 Yards, 48 TD's, 22 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating, 6.61 YPA, 190 rushes, 853 YDs, 4.5 YPA, 12 rush TDs

He's Andy Dalton with a bigger stronger body that can run for first downs... and that's far superior to Mac.

if they build a great team around him and execute, he can win some games for you. He's not overly explosive, but he's not going to lead the league in turnovers like Mac either.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back