PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Regular Season MVP (not named Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It was a great season for the Pats and a few players really stepped up, here are my candidates for Pats regular season MVP (not including Brady)

1) Malcolm Butler - lockdown corner for a team that had an inconsistent pass rush
2) Devin McCourty - second half of the season was exceptional
3) Hightower - With Collins traded he took on that leadership role
4) Blount -18 TDs, 3.9 avg, 1 fumble lost and over 1100 yards
5) Trey Flowers - very solid season, 45 tackles and 7 sacks
6) Marcus Cannon - The O-line was very good this year and he stood out
7) JE - i'm a huge fan. He had better seasons the last 2 years, but the last few games he looked like his old self. still had 98 catches/1106 yards
8) James White - 60 catches/551 yards he became a key cog. With Lewis back he might take a bit of a back seat, but he showed that he can play with Blount, with Lewis and you can roll him out. A reliable receiving back

honourable mentions: Jimmy (did his job exceptionally for 3 wins), James Develin provided toughness and paved the way for Blount's great season, Alan Branch 8 TFL is great

The thing about this team is it's not like some previous incarnations where you can point to one or two players that had all pro seasons and broke records. There is no MVP besides Brady because everyone of those you listed and about 10 more have had very solid very productive seasons and an argument for why they belong in the discussion. This team is so deep and so balanced...I would ask what are they ELITE at? Winning is the only thing that comes to mind because they are just really good at everything and that's why I am excited about them. I would rather have a team with a B+ offense, defense, and special team then an A+ offense B- defense and C special teams. If you stuck a gun to my head I think I would give it to Blunt. Balanced offense that controls the ball sets up the defense too.

1.) Julian Edelman
2.) Butler
3.) McCourty
4.) Gronk
5.) Hightower

Gronk would be #1 if he played or atleast finished the season.

Bennett deserves an honorable mention, playing hurt and at least partly filling Gronk's big shoes.

Last edited:
Butler and JE11 are the same player on different sides of the ball.

I think Butler's signature play makes people underestimate him. They think he is the unknown player who made a big INT. He is a damn fine CB.

This team is approaching what the SB 2&3 teams were - very few weaknesses with all of the 46 and 53 playing a part. 2014 was good, but we put a band aid on our weakness at CB then. This team is a personification of BB's approach to football.

Dante Scarneccia and the entire starting O-line. They only surrendered 24 sacks (5th best) and plowed the way for 20 rushing TD's (also 5th). Each of the 5 starters had 1000+ snaps and they played like a cohesive unit with continuity. This line did a 180 from last year.

Butler is the winner.

For offense MVP, I'd go with Blount. He was a beast in the first half of the season. He lost a bit later, but with Lewis back, we had a great running game all season long.

My honorable mention is Marcus Cannon, man... cant believe i'm saying it, but my god, how much he improved seems almos impossible

Butler and Edelman. Always surprised how overrated McCourty is on this board. He's good but nothing more.

Butler and Edelman. Always surprised how overrated McCourty is on this board. He's good but nothing more.

I don't watch the all 22's even though I should. I put McCourty so high is because of what I have heard what he does that doesn't necessarily show up on the film. He is the QB of the defense.

Edelman is the MVP without him, going forward our offense would be in trouble. In fact if Edelman goes down so do the Patriots. I put Butler #2 he is a lock down CB and is going to get paid. I still think the Pats could possibly win without him. It would hurt there chances greatly but it would still be possible.

No matter how short or long your list, you can't leave out Bennett.

Malcolm Butler for sure IMO. This season from beginning to end he was at least a top 5 CB. I really think he is a major difference maker for our defense. If he goes down we would be in serious trouble. Losing Butler would hurt worse than losing any other player beside Brady.

We need to lock him up. He is a legit true #1 CB.

Last edited:
Moses Cabrera, Jim Hardy and Dante Scarnecchia,

Ok, I'll shut up now. ;)

No love for Blount? We relied on home heavily first 4 weeks.
In terms of team MVP (minus TB12), he is behind all of the following:

Butler, Edelman, McCourty, HT, Cannon and Bennett.

Blount is good, not great. He has had a nice year but he is not irreplaceable. Granted dudes like a washed up Steven Jackson can't replace him but he isn't all that special. If we want to wear a defense down in the second half of the game, sure give Blount a healthy amount of carries. But if we want to game plan to carve up a good defense on the ground, use Dion Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes