PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats now must sign a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also need to be a scoring machine again (a la 2004) because our defense will likely go through some growing pains b/c of the LB position. Unless you believe we're perfectly fine at the LB position.

We had one of the better defenses in the league last season.

Rodney Harrison will be back next season.

We have about 20 million in cap space and 4 draft picks in the top 100.

I don't see any reason to see why our defense - which was already great - won't become even better.

Last edited:
With BB running the D, and Brady on the O, this team can get by with smoke and mirrors most of the time. But it is much easier to win a Sb with a pro bowl caliber pass catcher than without one, whether at WR or TE. The Pats don't NEED to do anything, but I would like to see a prospect on the horizon who can offer Brady an elite target through his prime years. One sleeper whom I have high hopes for is David Thomas. I think his upside can be Jay Novacek. That said, the 2007 WR class is very good and with 2 1st rd picks I wouldn't be upset if the Pats used one on an elite talent. I believe CJ will eventually find himself, but he can no longer be relied upon to reach his potential sooner than his 4th year.

I've never said I had any credibilty. I am simply a fan expressing my opinion. And no I am not a doctor. But why were teams so concerned about Javon Walker's ACL injury if there have been so many medical advances? And I do realize CJ is young and will should heal quicker than an older player. But we don' know for sure. And yes I did expect more from him in his rookie season.

Go friggin kick your dog if you are going to be in that type of mood on this board Dabruinz.

Had my years wrong about his rookie season. You have me on that one. ;-)

Last edited:
Isn't it a bit early to panic? Usually we aren't doomed until a week into free agency

Someone should post the red sox spring training schedule...maybe that will give the b1tching class something to focus on...

Last edited:
I've never said I had any credibilty. I am simply a fan expressing my opinion. And no I am not a doctor. But why were teams so concerned about Javon Walker's ACL injury if there have been so many medical advances? And I do realize CJ is young and will should heal quicker than an older player. But we don' know for sure. And yes I did expect more from him in his rookie season.

And friggin Irving Fryar made the friggin PROBOWL his rookie year. And led all recievers in TD's for the team. And helped the team make the Super Bowl. Did our merry band of cast-offs do that this season? Hmmm?? So go put that in your damn pipe and smoke it.

Go friggin kick your dog if you are going to be in that type of mood on this board Dabruinz.

Irving Fryar's rookie year was a disaster. He caught 11 passes for 164 yards and 1 TD and did not make the pro bowl. But that is NORMAL for very talented WRs making the adjustment to the pro game, which is why I wasn't bothered by Jackson's perceived lack of productivity, and why I believe he will come back from this adversity, in time. However, I do feel an upgrade at WR would make the task of winning a SB much easier. Is Randy Moss that person? Objectively I would say no. But I thought the same about Corey Dillon.

Last edited:
How many 1st year WRs have had an impact since Irving Fryar?

How many 1st year WRs have there been since Irving Fryar?

Let me know what the % is and then we can talk about how there have been "plenty" of 1st year WRs who have made an impact.

In the key play of the Chargers game Brady went to Troy Brown, thank God he knocked the ball out and it was recovered. In the key play of the Colts game (the last play) Brady went to Troy Brown and it was intercepted. End of game end of season. When Troy Brown is your best or clutch WR its time for an upgrade.

We won 3 SBs without an "impact WR".
Jackson has an injury, but last i checked we dont have a game for over 6 months.
Of course we will add WRs to the mix this off-season, but I don't think an injury to a second year to be player that no one knows the details or recovery time of is reason to panic, and I don't think it will change the plan of how we add WRs to the mix at all.

The Patriots have spent the past 4 years mkaing sure they don't NEED anything. That's the beauty of this team, but one thing that shouldn't go unnoticed is that if Graham leaves too, then Watson is our most senior TE and might be forced to stay by the Tackles more since they don't have Graham there doing the dirty work. This could take away from his ability to be out in the middle of the field. I know we have Thomas and Mills there to replace Graham, but I haven't seen them take on Freeney and Taylor yet...so BB will have to do something

Had my years wrong about his rookie season. You have me on that one. ;-)

I stand corrected. Thanks There is hope for a break-out year in year 2.

Yes it would be nice to see the % of 1st year WR that have what would be considered a great year.

Troy Brown of '01 and Branch were far better than any receiver the Pats currently have and that's a fact.

Ummm. No, its not fact. Its just YOUR OPINION. The FACT is that in 2001, the Pats didn't have anyone BUT Troy Brown and David Patten. The Pats only had 2 legitimate WRs and a pass catching RB in Faulk. They had no #3, #4 or #5 receiver to speak of (all of whom were significantly worse than Kelvin Kight). They had no Pass Catching TE to speak of. Yes they had Wiggins, but that's it.

While Gaffney and Caldwell won't put up the numbers that Brown did in 2001, its because the offense has changed and has many more weapons.

OH, Branch wasn't all that. He'd disappear for games as well.

Yeah, the Pats will go to the open receiver, provided that receiver can actually get open. Did you not watch the Denver, Jets(#2), Miami(#2) or SD games? The passing offense was horrible those days.

Yes, I watched those games and it seems that, unlike you, I look at the ENTIRE situation and not just things in a vacuum. But lets recap for a moment.

Denver Game - Early in the season. Neither Caldwell nor Gabriel were on track. Gaffney wasn't with the team yet. The running game didn't do much that day. Corey Dillon and Matt Light both got hurt in that game. Brady made some very BAD pass attempts. There were MANY complaints about BRADY being the issue and not the receivers.

Jets game #2: It was horrible field conditions and Brady was slipping and falling all over the place because of the mud. That game was the straw that broke the camel's back regarding the natural grass being replaced.

Miami #2: Pats were 14-28 in passing and the offense had 4 fumbles, including the one by Doug Gabriel. The Pats were without Laurence Maroney that game.

San Diego: The Passing game was 27 for 51. Brady wasn't sacked, though he was pressured a few times. The receivers had a couple of drops. The Pats went with a short passing game, for some reason. Also, their running game took a huge hit with Faulk and Dillon being out for much of the 2nd half.

The Pats do need a deep threat on offense so D's will play us honest. They also need to be a scoring machine again (a la 2004) because our defense will likely go through some growing pains b/c of the LB position. Unless you believe we're perfectly fine at the LB position.

What "deep threat" did the Pats have in 2001 and 2003?

The Pats were a scoring machine this year, in case you missed it. The Pats scored 25 passing TDs and 20 rushing TDs. That is actually MORE than in 2004 when they only had 44 TDs (29 passing and 15 rushing).

Now, why are you making stupid assumptions about what I think regarding the LB position? If you'd actually read other threads on the board, particulary in the draft forum, I believe that the Pats would do well to sign Jarrett Johnson and Carlos Polk as well as draft 1 or 2 LBs.

In the key play of the Chargers game Brady went to Troy Brown, thank God he knocked the ball out and it was recovered. In the key play of the Colts game (the last play) Brady went to Troy Brown and it was intercepted. End of game end of season. When Troy Brown is your best or clutch WR its time for an upgrade.

Thanks for posting stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with the questions asked.

I stand corrected. Thanks There is hope for a break-out year in year 2.

Yes it would be nice to see the % of 1st year WR that have what would be considered a great year.

Other than Terry Glenn and Marques Colston, I'd am definitely curious to know how many "impact" 1st year receivers there have been since 1996.

Other than Terry Glenn and Marques Colston, I'd am definitely curious to know how many "impact" 1st year receivers there have been since 1996.

I've posted this before, for those that are curious...

Rookie years for some current wide receivers:
Santana Moss - 40 yards.
Chad Johnson - 329 yards.
Reggie Wayne - 345 yards.
Steve Smith - 145 yards.
Javon Walker - 319 yards.
Donald Driver - 31 yards.
Laveranues Coles - 370 yards.
Hines Ward - 246 yards.
T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 228 yards.
Issac Bruce - 272 yards.
Plaxico Burress - 273 yards.
Jerrico Cotchery - 60 yards.
Mushin Muhammad - 407 yards.
Derrick Mason - 186 yards.
Joe Horn - 30 yards.

Last edited:
SECOND YEAR STATS FOR THOSE RECEIVERS:

S Moss - 433 yards
C Johnson - 1166 yards
R Wayne - 716 yards
S Smith - 872 yards
J Walker - 716 yards
D Driver - 322 yards
L Coles - 868 yards
H Ward - 638 yards
T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 492 yards
I Bruce - 1781 yards
P Burress - 1008 yards
J Cotchery - 251 yards
M Muhammad - 317 yards
D Mason - 333 yards
J Horn - 65 yards

So, it's interesting to see that some guys made the leap in year 2, but other's didn't. A small portion excels, a small portion continues to lack production, and the majority seem to be somewhere in the middle with some solid proudction (300-800 yards).

The bottom line is, and Chad Jackson haters can look up the stats for themselves, but a good wideout probably starts to contribute between year 2 & 4.

And with that in mind, there's definitely a lot of value in resigning the likes of Caldwell, Gaffney, and down the road if he pans out, Jackson. It's why the team wanted to resign Meion last season and would have, if only Meion didn't want to tear up the last season of his contract.

For all those doubting Jackson at this point, I challenge you to find as many examples of good wideouts excelling in their first season as I have listed of good wideouts who had lackluster rookie seasons.

Last edited:
I disagree. There's no such thing as a sure thing in sports, but I think the team was going to bank on Jackson developing into a productive player next season.

Gaffney & Caldwell & a healthy and developed Jackson is a great trio - now, we're not entirely sure for how much of the season we'll have CJ and how effective he'll be. I think it does change our plans.

I think it makes more sense to sign a FA then draft. With CJ's role a little in the air for next season, the need becomes for 07. We know it's tough to ask a wideout to come in and compete in his rookie season, so we really need to adress the hole in free agency. Kevin Curtis would be nice.

If Curtis stays with the Rams, and promised a startng position, would one of the oldsters be available, Holt or Bruce?

If Sidney Rice is available at 24, would you take him?

DREW BENNETT! :rocker:

The Patriots need (yes, need) a deep threat at wide receiver. Somebody to keep opposing defenses honest so they can't stack 8 men in the box to shut down the first ten yards beyond the line of the scrimmage (as many opposing defenses did against us this year). Without a deep threat, opposing defenses take very little risk stacking the line of scrimmage against the Pats, because the chances of them being burned down the field are minimal.

Drew Bennett averaged 16.0 yards per catch last season (14.6 for his career), so he is a legitimate deep threat. Also, he is 6'5". It'd be nice for Brady to have a big target to throw to for once.

And please, no high draft pick on a WR. They take too long to develop and are too high risk. Acquiring veterans through trades or free agency is the way to go at WR. Plus, the focus of the draft for the Patriots this year needs to be getting younger and faster on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes