PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats new kicker is Mike Nugent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allowing only 5 returns on 26 kick-offs isn't bad.. Yes, the 30.6 ypr isn't good and needs to be improved upon but part of that could have been from the lack of hang time on Gost's kicks due to his hip injury..
This is the point. With a kicker who lacks Gost’s leg strength, there is more importance on our coverage. I think Gost has masked some problems there.

Felger just said Nugent was 23/29 on XP's in 2016. Hasn't been signed by a team since. 13/30 from 50 plus.

What was Gost's issue this season? XP's.
And aside from that season he missed 8 in 12 years.

Arent Brady and Nugent buddy's or something?

Main problem is kicking 40+ yarders. Nugent does not have a big leg like Ghost does. Probably will have to end up going for it in 4th and 4 or less situations

Gost

FG
50+ 71%
40 - 49 77%
30 - 39% 91%
20 - 29 96%
XP 98%

Nuge

FG
50+ 43%
40 - 49 75%
30 - 39 79%
20 - 29 98%
XP 96%

Looks like a lot of delay of game penalties and punting at the opponents 40 yard line.

Main problem is kicking 40+ yarders. Nugent does not have a big leg like Ghost does. Probably will have to end up going for it in 4th and 4 or less situations

Since 2017 Nuge has attempted 12 kicks 40 - 49 yard FG and made 10.

83%

I'm guessing this changes play calling drastically... iirc, when they brought in Shayne Graham years ago he didn't attempt any long fg
Gostkowski hasn't been kicking long field goals the past 2 years, how many times have they passed up a 50 yard fg the last few years.

Gostkowski hasn't been kicking long field goals the past 2 years, how many times have they passed up a 50 yard fg the last few years.

Gostkowski had less FG attempts from 50+ in his first 9 seasons (17) than he's had since 2015 (18).

Also throughout his career with a big kick as needed like a Super Bowl a playoff game BB has almost always tried to go for it because didn’t have confidence in ghost....

Also throughout his career with a big kick as needed like a Super Bowl a playoff game BB has almost always tried to go for it because didn’t have confidence in ghost....

If only there was factual evidence of exactly the opposite from a few months back.

I had someone on ignore so couldn’t post reply on BB not having confidence in Gost throughout his career for long or high pressure kicks in big or must win games...and poster had brought up last year and I would say fair point.....however how many times did Bill go for it on 4th and short during AFC playoff games and SB’s rather than let Gost take a shot at a longer FG.....quite a few memorable ones too.....I would think everyone would remember that.

Take nothing away from Gost ....he’s the Pats best kicker of all time ....(I still will always love Viniateri for his amazing clutch kicks with game on the line despite his misses. I hope Gost makes full recovery and is back kicking here again next season...

Don’t get this signing at all....Nugents career percentage....especially most recent....is awful. Let’s hope we don’t have to rely on him to make game winner....Kai Forbath would have been better fit....heck just promote Younghoe now!!!

BB had a host of bad choices. He selected a veteran bad choice over another veteran bad choice as well as an inexperienced bad choice. Hopefully Nugent will take this golden opportunity to prove he was not a bad choice. Either way there is a huge unknown here and BB is taking his best guess. And if Nugent doesn't prove at least semi able to take advantage of this golden opportunity then it'll be onto bad choice #2. That's understandable isn't it?

Maybe Nugent will get a locker two spaces down from TB12 and TB12 will become BFF's with him. Expect zero misses if this happens.

According to multiple reports, the Patriots worked out three players, including a kicker on Tuesday. Those players were: kicker Nick Rose, defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes, and defensive back Brian Allen.

According to multiple reports, the Patriots worked out three players, including a kicker on Tuesday. Those players were: kicker Nick Rose, defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes, and defensive back Brian Allen.

Vanderdoes was a beast pre-injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back