PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats might be Interested in Pat Williams - Clayton speculates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettlax3434

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
"Free agent NT Pat Williams is drawing interest from the Patriots.
Williams has received no known interest on the open market other than from the Vikings. New England has been kicking the tires on just about every veteran free agent this offseason, so it's unclear if they have serious interest. According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Pats "might" bring Williams in for a visit this weekend."

Source - John Clayton on Twitter Via rotoworld.com

New revolutionary defensive front with like 5 DL? :p

Or more likely just a body to play against the Giants, if the Patriots are even interested in him.

i think this would be a smart move. would provide even more versatility along the D Line, as I think Williams can play DT in both the 3-4 and 4-3. i think our "depth" along the dline, or lack thereof in my opinion, was exposed against the lions

wonder if it has anything to do with haynesworth and consideration of releasing him and moving more towards our traditional 3-4 look

Last edited:
Ellis and Haynesworth didnt play in the Lions game.

Insurance for Ron Brace if he doesn't get off the PuP?

He's 38 years old. He turns 39 during the season. How much can he left? I say it's only doing due diligence.

"New England has been kicking the tires on just about every veteran free agent this offseason, so it's unclear if they have serious interest."

I never thought I would say this, but I almost wish the Pats were actually more secretive in regards to who they talk to and bring in for workouts, just so we don't have to read or hear the (usually inaccurate) editorials, opinions and over-analyzation of every non-move that they make.

The Pats aren't happy with their safety play. I think they are going to move to a 6-3-2 alignment and removing the safeties all together with 4 DTs.

"New England has been kicking the tires on just about every veteran free agent this offseason, so it's unclear if they have serious interest."

I never thought I would say this, but I almost wish the Pats were actually more secretive in regards to who they talk to and bring in for workouts, just so we don't have to read or hear the (usually inaccurate) editorials, opinions and over-analyzation of every non-move that they make.

i hear what you are saying, but that kind of stuff is what drives websites such as this

This isnt something unique to the Patriots. It happens with every team.

"Free agent NT Pat Williams is drawing interest from the Patriots.
Williams has received no known interest on the open market other than from the Vikings. New England has been kicking the tires on just about every veteran free agent this offseason, so it's unclear if they have serious interest. According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Pats "might" bring Williams in for a visit this weekend."

Source - John Clayton on Twitter Via rotoworld.com
Holy moly if the pats pick up williams they are going to be stacked on the d-line. It is going to be extremely difficult to run on them as it is now, but the addition of williams will make it virtually impossible.

Holy moly if the pats pick up williams they are going to be stacked on the d-line. It is going to be extremely difficult to run on them as it is now, but the addition of williams will make it virtually impossible.

How much does Williams have left though. I would assume he would be used like the Pats used Ted Washington as almost exclusively on first downs. Williams couldn't be used more than 15-20 times a game at this point and be effective. Too old.

Doubt this happens... guy's geriatric at this point.

I think this would be a solid move as everyone knows what Pat can do when he is fresh so I agree that we would limit his plays.....

The reason I think the Pats are bringing in all of these Veteran FA's is because a lot of teams are switching to the 3-4 and BB is switching back to more of a 4 man line so the guys that are more effective out of a 4-3 are available....Not a bad idea as you can get some good players out there and possibly some steals....

It's already been discussed by BB that they've had so many vets in for tryouts during camp because they weren't able to in the off-season.

Bring them in and you know what they have when you have a need later, like right now at safety. They've already seen Sharper if they decide to go that route.

Doubt this happens... guy's geriatric at this point.

well, for a few years my wife and i joked that the patriots team name should be the geriatriots

So based on this report the Patriots might be interested. Or they might not.

Interesting.

Does he come with the fork already included in his back, or would that be extra?

In the interest of accurately stating Claytons remarks, I changed the thread title.

I don't know if Clayton kicked over a rock and came to that conclusion so I won't mention it. :cool:

Last edited:
I hate Clayton as a member of ESPN- he doesn't fit the stereotypical athletic looking type.

I however, do admit he has very SOLID sources in the NFL and I respect his reports that he makes via twitter and articles etc...

I like this move and want it to happen soon. I want a VETERAN S and I do not care who:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday