PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

pats look at bethel johnson during bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must have been "one thing" that the coaches wished he would learn or get through his head. It seemed like they gave him enough time to prove himself while he was here. It seemed like there was he just did not "Get it". Like he did not drink the Kool aid or something. It is like they thought he had the stuff but he was missing the "it" factor.

Can somebody explain what I mean to myself?:confused:

Well, first off, if they do take the guy on, it won't be for WR purposes. It's special teams all the way.

As I remember it, Johnson's biggest problem at WR during his tenure here was that he had a lot of difficulty with timing on his routes. I think that's the main reason he looked as bad as he did. Otherwise, BB was right - you can't coach speed, and Johnson had that in spades.

With the current special teams make up on this team, Johnson might actually be able to do some very nice things, assuming he's in game shape.

As for bringing in other people for other positions rather than taking a look-see at Bethel, you have to ask, who? I've got to assume the front office and the coaching staff have done their homework here and know what they're doing, at least risk-wise.

I'd at least be hesitant to speculate on the exit possibilities of anyone on this WR corps. In my estimation, you have to look at it thusly: Moss is Moss - no further explanation required. Welker has become the go-to man in any possible tight circumstance, and his value cannot possibly be diminished. After that, you have an array of....weapons. That's what they are, and that's how they should be viewed. There is considerable talent at this level of the WR corps, and the coaching staff implements these weapons as game plans and game conditions dictate.

There is considerable debate on this board about Gaffney having supplanted Stallworth as the number 3 receiver, but I view them as interchangeable parts.

Stall's production has tailed off in recent weeks, 'tis true, but that does not mean his value to the team has necessarily been diminished. In the open field after the catch, only Moss is more dangerous.

FWIW, I think they keep their top 4 (Moss/Welker/Stallworth/Gaffney) next season, but that Stall's contract will doubtless have to be adjusted. Just like Moss, he's having the time of his life, and knows wherever he goes, it most likely won't be remotely like this. He knows what butters his bread.

Chad Jackson remains an enigma, potential personified that's been unexploited. He was a high draft pick, and in the absence of actual poor performance on the field, the Pats are usually a bit reluctant to write such projects off until such time as they have no alternative.

Should the Pats draft a WR on Day One, however, I'd begin to be a bit concerned if I were Chad Jackson. A trade wouldn't be out of the realm of the possible, however, and if that scenario came to pass, I'm sure BB/Pioli would demand just and adequate compensation!;)

Getting back to Bethel...if he's not signed by next Thursday, it would doubtless mean they (the Pats) (1)are looking at him for ST possibilities next year, or (2)were just engaging in a "curiosity satisfaction" episode this past week.

Hey, stranger things have happened!

Is this about ST, and specifically the kick return they allowed vs. the Giants?

Funny how all the same people who keep calling Chad Jackson the second coming of Bethel Johnson are the ones thinking he will get cut to make way for ... drum roll please ... Bethel Johnson!

Jackson isn't going to be cut. He'll get his chance next year. This is about special teams. Anyone notice that Hobbs wasn't running back kicks last week? I wonder if he's banged up.

In any case, Johnson lost it as a special teams player after his rookie season. He just didn't have the shiftiness after he added weight. Just my opinion.

He had a surgical pin in his ankle.

BJ is there for a reason and i would like to know what position BJ plays in the next 3 games

BJ is there for a reason and i would like to know what position BJ plays in the next 3 games

Not necessarily. BB uses this time to check prospectives for next year too.

Either way, if unemployment has changed his attitude he still has high upside as a good special teamer who could eventually also be a number 5 (if his attitude changes. He's still not the brightest bulb on the tree, though).

I think if Bethel can provide some positives on the kick returns and that means not having to use Hobbs or Welker, who obviously have other extensive and more important roles, than that's good enough for me.

How could adding a great gunner and fine kick returner hurt the team? The team could decide whether to negotiate a signing bonus and a 2008. This would be Jackson insurance or as an inexpensive replacement for Washington, or simply insurance/camp fodder.

We certainly don't want Hobbs returning kicks next year.

Last edited:
Stallworth might be cut but also gaffney is a FA next season. With brown retiring and jackson shown the door we might endup having 3 WR who actually caught a pass this year.

IN WHAT WORLD is "Jackson shown the door?"

How could adding a great gunner and fine kick returner hurt the team? The team could decide whether to negotiate a signing bonus and a 2008. This would be Jackson insurance or as an inexpensive replacement for Washington, or simply insurance/camp fodder.

Absolutely. Cheap, humbled, has played in our system. There's no downside.

We've got great leverage at WR/special teams. Hard to believe two good, not great receivers held us hostage last year.

I think Jackson is also a good KR option. Obviously, nobody really knows what goes on behind the scenes on this team. There's a lot of contract situations (Moss) and it's hard to predict any other WR positions except Welker.

We will have talent and, likely, our #5 will play special teams.

Thank you, mg! The Voice of Reason.

I would prefer a guy like BJ returning than Hobbs, Faulk or Welker. Starting corner and receiver returning is risky if they get injured which is always possible. Same with the 3rd down back we already have lost Morris we don't want to be down to 1 HB. BJ can do that job and we need not worry too much if he gets hurt he knows the system so could also come in if anything happens to a receiver (touch wood it won't). He should also be cheap which is a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes