PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Eagles stats/gameplan/matchup discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats were rolling in 2010. They should have won it all that year.

But I am not complaining!
Yeah 2010 went into the playoffs on an 8 game win streak scoring at least 31 in every one of those games and averaging 37.4.

The TD/int ratios were sick
Offense 37/5
Defense. 25/25

But in the playoff loss it was
Offense 2/1
Defense 3/0

By far the flukiest loss ever by this team and definitely took a Sb away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah. This team is way better than 2001 and 2011. We are better on offense than 2004 but obviously no where close on D. Last year team was somewhat comparable. Regardless, it doesn't matter. We have been the best team just about all year. It is what it is. They don't have to compete vs old Pats teams.

giphy.gif

My reaction to that atrocious 2011 D. They likely would've been the worst D to win a SB.

Yeah 2010 went into the playoffs on an 8 game win streak scoring at least 31 in every one of those games and averaging 37.4.

The TD/int ratios were sick
Offense 37/5
Defense. 25/25

But in the playoff loss it was
Offense 2/1
Defense 3/0

By far the flukiest loss ever by this team and definitely took a Sb away.

I would say SB XLII was.

Also, I think we would have made the Super Bowl (we would have beaten Pittsburgh). But, GB was no cakewalk. They nearly beat us with Matt Flynn at Gillette.

Pats would've likely lost to the GB Packers in the SB.
Doubt it. That Green Bay team wasnt that good. I’ve always felt they only won because they had an easy run of opponents.

Doubt it. That Green Bay team wasnt that good. I’ve always felt they only won because they had an easy run of opponents.
No, that GB was very good. TB & BB are capable of beating any team, but that 2010 GB was very good. Especially defensively.

When are we going to hear who is playing today?

Who are the backs other than White and Lewis? I’m torn between Gills and Burk, Gills has been a disappointment but I only feel comfortable with Burk in one of these...

73AC5DE2-D5F6-4D29-9F45-84BA280DEEB8.jpeg

I would say SB XLII was.

Also, I think we would have made the Super Bowl (we would have beaten Pittsburgh). But, GB was no cakewalk. They nearly beat us with Matt Flynn at Gillette.

Yup. There are two SBs I think the Pats could have lost if they actually made it. The game against GB and against Seattle in '13.

No, that GB was very good. TB & BB are capable of beating any team, but that 2010 GB was very good. Especially defensively.
Aside from one crappy day, the patriots were better.

2013 most definitely, that team had been decimated with injuries. Although I think we`d put up a better fight, Broncos looked scared to death straight from the kick off.
Green Bay had a good year but couple of early blunders by Pittsburgh and it was 14-0 midway through the 1st. And their offense was nowhere near as good as nowadays, Brown was just starting, Sanders got injured early, Ward was on his last legs, their No.1 option was Wallace.

Im interested to see if we can control Blount, in the past couple SB’s he play he was a non-factor and fumbled the ball.

SB 49 he had 40 yard total
SB 51 he had 31 yards and a fumble

Folks might not be a running threat but I still think he could get 10 yards here or there if the Pats are not careful.

My only real worry in this is the offensive line.

I do think they need to end the 1st quarter SB non-scoring thing.

“James Light pointed out on Twitter that the Patriots were likely to go to Cover 7 looks to try to combat Philadelphia's RPO game, combining man coverage with safety brackets at multiple levels of the field. As Matt Bowen wrote in 2014, Cover 7 allows the Patriots to disguise their coverage intentions before the snap and create immediate traps for Foles to diagnose after the snap.”

“You need a cover corner capable of holding his own on one side of the field to play Cover 7, which is one of the reasons Belichick went out in free agency and spent $65 million to bring in Stephon Gilmore last year. Gilmore's size and physicality make him an obvious matchup against Jeffery, and it seems likely that the Patriots will hope that Gilmore can hold up one-on-one against Philadelphia's most expensive wideout. Gilmore and Jeffery were college teammates at South Carolina, making that matchup even more tantalizing.”

“The Patriots turned to Chung as their primary coverage option against Ertz in 2015, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see Chung split snaps with McCourty against Ertz on Sunday. Gilmore could theoretically take some snaps against Ertz one-on-one, and the Patriots have used their No. 1 corner on a tight end in the past (like when Aqib Talib spent most of a game against the Saints covering Jimmy Graham), but the Patriots will give whomever is in primary coverage on Ertz some assistance, especially on third down and in the red zone.”

The best Eagles-Patriots preview you'll read: Barnwell makes his Super Bowl pick

Interesting piece on a minute ago, the Philly Defense had Ertz work directly with them during and after practice and wanted him to be very physical with the defense so they could practice against someone like Gronk.

I know Ertz is really good but is he as physical as Gronk or Kelce?

Interesting piece on a minute ago, the Philly Defense had Ertz work directly with them during and after practice and wanted him to be very physical with the defense so they could practice against someone like Gronk.

I’m sure they had Foles simulate brady too.
About the same.

Im interested to see if we can control Blount, in the past couple SB’s he play he was a non-factor and fumbled the ball.

SB 49 he had 40 yard total
SB 51 he had 31 yards and a fumble

Folks might not be a running threat but I still think he could get 10 yards here or there if the Pats are not careful.

My only real worry in this is the offensive line.

I do think they need to end the 1st quarter SB non-scoring thing.
A blount fumble would be nice.

When are we going to hear who is playing today?
Around 5pm

The patriots injury report is empty so they will all be healthy scratches.

No. Both are very good TEs but Gronk's level of physicality is off the charts. Additionally its not just his strength. Its is strength combined with his speed and quickness and his deftness in using leverage.

The Eagles have been a totally different defense away from home.

“Philly typically hasn't enjoyed a dramatic home-field advantage, but its defense has led it to a dominant home record this season. The Eagles went 9-1 at home including their playoff run, with their only loss coming in a meaningless Week 17 encounter with the Cowboys.”

“The defense has driven their home success. Philadelphia allowed a mere 13.4 points per game at home this season, a figure that drops to 12.4 points per contest if you include the two playoff wins. That's the best home defensive performance we've seen over the past five years. On the road, the Eagles have allowed an average of 23.5 points per game, which is just above the league average of 22.9.”

“The Super Bowl is a neutral-site game, and the Eagles are only technically the "road" team in Minnesota by virtue of conference rotation, but it remains to be seen whether Philadelphia can keep up its playoff dominance away from home. The Eagles played their past four games in Philadelphia, allowing a total of 33 points, after playing their three previous games on the road. The Seahawks, Rams and Giants combined to score 88 points over those three contests. The home/road split might explain why the Eagles were the second-most-inconsistent defense in football this season per DVOA. It would be wrong to say they're "due" for a bad game -- that's the gambler's fallacy -- but they probably aren't going to look as good in Minnesota as the past month suggests.”

Pats-Eagles stats/gameplan/matchup discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back