PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Cap Space as of 4/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the Steelers going to do? They have no cap space to even sign their draft picks. Why did they sign Blount if they were so tight for money, he is just going to be a backup with them.

What are the Steelers going to do? They have no cap space to even sign their draft picks. Why did they sign Blount if they were so tight for money, he is just going to be a backup with them.

They can always restructure and cut guys. I think "Ben" might be a restructure candidate.

They will wait until after June 1 to sign their draft picks. They designated Woodley as a post June 1 release. On June 2 their cap space will increase as his salary will come off the books

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in the end, it is very unlikely that the Pats are going to add any players who are going to make any major impact on the cap numbers we have right now. I doubt very much that we'd sign anyone who'd cost more than $1MM against the cap Mostly its going to be adding players who might add as much as $2-3MM to the cap combined. So I can easily see the Pats going into the season with about a $4-5MM reserve and then carry over most of that into next season.

The only thing I can think is that the Pats are going to use money to lock upa couple of guys (McCourty, Solder) or to roll over.

It really doesn't make much sense to me at this point. We're clearly thin at Tight End, yet the Ravens signed Owen Daniels for $1 million/1 year, no signing bonus.

The Bears signed center Brian de la Puente to a 1-year vet minimum salary, reportedly.

The Pats cut Adrian Wilson and sign Chung, netting a miniscule cap amount and losing a veteran presence in training camp - who they could have cut at roster cut-downs, no problem, if it didn't work out.

There's clearly some things I'm missing here. Maybe when they looked at Daniels, they saw that he was toast and wouldn't be able to contribute. Maybe they preferred Wendell to Brian de la Puente - though even then, getting this guy in a back-up role at vet minimum seems to make a lot of sense to me!

I'm not against the Chung signing, but why the Wilson cut at this time? Maybe they were afraid that he'd come to camp, wind up still injured and thus become uncuttable? To give Revis #24 without any hassles? To star selling Revis jerseys?

Is it possible that Wilson comes back to them under a different deal that protects them if he can't go on the Achilles?

It's all very confusing.

FYI - You can see the cap space numbers yourself at
Public Report - NFLPlayers.com

Question:

The link to the NFLPA site that you provided shows the Steelers to currently be slightly over the cap (by $108,066).

I was under the impression that once the new league year started a club was not permitted to go over the cap. My understanding was that a transaction that put a team over their cap, such as a signing or a release, was not approved by the league and was voided.

Am I incorrect, or is there perhaps a window of time that a club is given to make themselves cap-compliant should they go over?

Question:

The link to the NFLPA site that you provided shows the Steelers to currently be slightly over the cap (by $108,066).

I was under the impression that once the new league year started a club was not permitted to go over the cap. My understanding was that a transaction that put a team over their cap, such as a signing or a release, was not approved by the league and was voided.

Am I incorrect, or is there perhaps a window of time that a club is given to make themselves cap-compliant should they go over?

The NFLPA is not counting Woodley in the Top 51 list. It should since his full cap amount is hitting the Steelers cap right now.

So I can easily see the Pats going into the season with about a $4-5MM reserve and then carry over most of that into next season.
Patriots Salary Cap Picture - 4/5/2014 Update; Anticipating Future Cap needs and listing how the Pats can create more cap space: Patriots Salary Cap details why I think that the Patriots will need a bigger reserve than 5M. If the Patriots roll over close to what they enter the regular season with, it will mean that the players with 46-man active roster bonuses (Wilfork, Browner, Amendola, Kelly, Mayo, Hooman, Chung) did not play more games in 2014 than they did in 2013.

you have to think that BB is going to use some of that excess cap on an extension for one of our own guys right?

Nice to have some room for a draft day trade. We've made a few of them in the past. Dillon, Welker and Moss were acquired close to the draft. I didn't see DeSean Jackson
getting cut. Maybe, there's a safety or c/g we can acquire.

Just think how much more space we would have now if Bill didn't foolishly throw away
money at old, broken-down Wilfork & Weak-Ass Wendy. Horrible.

you have to think that BB is going to use some of that excess cap on an extension for one of our own guys right?
No need to. Most extensions free up cap space.

Just think how much more space we would have now if Bill didn't foolishly throw away

Couple of million dollars, total.

TOTAL.

And if Wilfork can play anywhere near his previous level, it's the best money they ever spent.

And if Wilfork can play anywhere near his previous level, it's the best money they ever spent.

You both nailed it!
Wilfork signing is like a double edge sword. On one hand as Captain Stone stated if Wilfork is done and can't be same player then his money could have been addressed to other areas and players of need.

And if Wilfork is as good or even better then that would plug up middle and nobody does it better Than VW sometimes having to be double teamed. He is pretty mobile for a BIG guy but again we will see how it plays out.

After signing other players to replace them the cap space would probably be about the same.

Whether or not those replacements would/will be more productive, that is open to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back