PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Assistant Coach of the Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The O line went from one of the lower ranked units to one of the highest ranked in one year and with basically the same guys. It makes you wonder little things like: "How would have Brady's career evolved without Scar?" or "How many QB's in the NFL would still be around today if their team had a Scar".

Side Note: We hear that only a percentage of first round QB picks survive in this league. I wonder how many could have.

The O line went from one of the lower ranked units to one of the highest ranked in one year and with basically the same guys. It makes you wonder little things like: "How would have Brady's career evolved without Scar?" or "How many QB's in the NFL would still be around today if their team had a Scar".

Side Note: We hear that only a percentage of first round QB picks survive in this league. I wonder how many could have.

The line suffered injuries in 2015 and was breaking in 3 new starters. In 2016, in addition to Dante returning, they got back theie Left Tackle, their Right Tackle was not hobbling on one leg, theiri Right Guard and Center now had a single year of playing experience as starters. Finally they added the missing talent needed at Left Guard.

All too predicatable. BB has vision to see not what is, but what will be...

"How would have Brady's career evolved without Scar?" or "How many QB's in the NFL would still be around today if their team had a Scar"
I suggest that to properly honor Dante, the 2017 team simply wear the uniforms the Pats wore in the first season of his tenure here, for every game including the playoffs.

Not too much to ask.

The line suffered injuries in 2015 and was breaking in 3 new starters. In 2016, in addition to Dante returning, they got back theie Left Tackle, their Right Tackle was not hobbling on one leg, theiri Right Guard and Center now had a single year of playing experience as starters. Finally they added the missing talent needed at Left Guard.

All too predicatable. BB has vision to see not what is, but what will be...

That's a better perspective.

Cannon suffered that toe injury in 2015 while people here were roasting him.
Marcus' great 2016 season was not not entirely due to Scar. The fact his toe was healed probably had more to do with it. But Scar certainly has a positive effect on him, as 2014 he was also good.

Cannon suffered that toe injury in 2015 while people here were roasting him.
Marcus' great 2016 season was not not entirely due to Scar. The fact his toe was healed probably had more to do with it. But Scar certainly has a positive effect on him, as 2014 he was also good.
Respect. To be more balanced, Cannon had clunkers before the toe injury. Part of it also was that his conditioning was off and it caused him not to play with enough discipline and technique (something BB emphasized when asked about Cannon in the last TC). The criticism started then and it says hard for people to reason thereafter. All that mattered was the feeling that he was a liability no matter the reason(s), even among many who knew he was injured. I'm not saying it's right, just that it happens.

Respect. To be more balanced, Cannon had clunkers before the toe injury. Part of it also was that his conditioning was off and it caused him not to play with enough discipline and technique (something BB emphasized when asked about Cannon in the last TC). The criticism started then and it says hard for people to reason thereafter. All that mattered was the feeling that he was a liability no matter the reason(s), even among many who knew he was injured. I'm not saying it's right, just that it happens.

Whatever the reason, Scar does seem to bring out the best in him.

Whatever the reason, Scar does seem to bring out the best in him.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's uncanny how certain players respond to certain coaches more than others.

Hopefully he's replaced better the next time he leaves. He is very deserving of whatever awards are thrown his way, though.

Not that Dante isn't deserving, but this is according to ... another Patriots fans website? :confused:

If it makes you feel any better, Dante was the only position coach (not Coordinator) to receive a vote in the Associated Press' Assistant Coach of the Year voting.

AP NFL Assistant Coach of the Year Voting

Kyle Shanahan, Atlanta OC 13½
Rod Marinelli, Dallas DC 10½
Scott Linehan, Dallas OC  8 
Steve Spagnuolo, NY Giants DC  5 
Dante Scarnecchia, New England O-line  5 
Romeo Crennel, Houston DC  4 
Matt Patricia, New England DC  1 
Dave Toub, Kansas City STeams  1 
Jim Bob Cooter, Detroit OC  1 
Frank Pollack, Dallas O-line  1 

And he was also called the real MVP of the team by USA Today.

The Patriots' MVP is a 68-year-old coach whom Bill Belichick coaxed out of retirement

What coach BB is to the Patriots, Scar is to the OLine.

Just happy he decided to come back into the fold.

Also: "How bad was Googs?"

Also: "How bad was Googs?"

I'm not sure but when the news about "Head Bobbing" keying of the Broncos D during the AFCCG popped up it made me wonder. But I do think AzPatsFan is correct to add that Googs was dealing with an injured Cannon and some rookies so maybe not as bad as I thought.

If it makes you feel any better, Dante was the only position coach (not Coordinator) to receive a vote in the Associated Press' Assistant Coach of the Year voting.

AP NFL Assistant Coach of the Year Voting

Kyle Shanahan, Atlanta OC 13½
Rod Marinelli, Dallas DC 10½
Scott Linehan, Dallas OC  8 
Steve Spagnuolo, NY Giants DC  5 
Dante Scarnecchia, New England O-line  5 
Romeo Crennel, Houston DC  4 
Matt Patricia, New England DC  1 
Dave Toub, Kansas City STeams  1 
Jim Bob Cooter, Detroit OC  1 
Frank Pollack, Dallas O-line  1 

And he was also called the real MVP of the team by USA Today.

The Patriots' MVP is a 68-year-old coach whom Bill Belichick coaxed out of retirement

I am surprised Josh McDaniels didn't get a single vote. I think 2017 was his best season, showcased in weeks 1-4. Weeks 1-2 with their #2 QB was remarkable; week 3 was even better; week 4 showed how reliant they were on coaching superiority with Brissett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft