PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats $15.4 Million Under the Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
groundgame said:
If Adam has an OK year and Gost has a great year, it is still not a smart move to go from highly reliable to "wait and see" for a very critical position on a team that could have easily afforded to keep him.

Adam OK year = Downside (1 year older, weaker)

Gost great year= Upside (rookie, will only get stronger, better)

groundgame said:
it is a major screwup for us to not have retained Adam Vinitieri after having every opportunity to do so.

Every opportunity but the promised-then-renegged-upon opportunity to match the offer, right? 'Cause that IS what happened. True, the Pats could stand an uptick in their bedside manner in many of these negotiations, but Adam and his agent said they would give the Patriots the chance to match. They didn't.

Seriously, I loved Adam but I'm fine moving on. Had to happen sometime. Better this than dealing with him breaking down, sooner or later. Not the best-case scenario, obviously, but some of us, myself included, are kind of excited to see this transition. Hope I don't live to regret that, but I am.

Last edited:
groundgame said:
If Adam has an OK year and Gost has a great year, it is still not a smart move to go from highly reliable to "wait and see" for a very critical position on a team that could have easily afforded to keep him.

Whhaaaaa????????

Are you actually hypothesizing that it would be better to pay over $2 million per year more for the inferior, older kicker than for the better, younger kicker (I'm not predicting here that Gost will outperform AV this year - - this is YOUR hypothetical).

Is there any way we can help get you a job in the Dolphins front office?

shmessy said:
Whhaaaaa????????

Are you actually hypothesizing that it would be better to pay over $2 million per year more for the inferior, older kicker than for the better, younger kicker

I believe it's over 3 mill per year, no?

mgteich said:
Miguel,

1) Am I correct is presuming that the $12.6M makes no assumptions about future payments to Seymour?
My cap page is intended to show the Patriots' cap status at the time I publish the page. We can assume that the Pats will pick up the option in August but they may not. For all we know, the Pats may intend to give RS the $6.66 million in the form of a roster bonus. Option bonuses are prorated. $6.66 million over $4 years is 1.665 million a year. A Roster bonus would have a $6.66 million cap hit. That's close to a $5 million difference. I rather show what Richard Seymour's current cap number is than project what the Patriots will do and then be off by $5 million.
2) Also is Mruc's salary now guaranteed for the year?
No, because he is not yet a vested veteran.

patsox23 said:
Every opportunity but the promised-then-renegged-upon opportunity to match the offer, right? 'Cause that IS what happened. True, the Pats could stand an uptick in their bedside manner in many of these negotiations, but Adam and his agent said they would give the Patriots the chance to match. They didn't.

Seriously, I loved Adam but I'm fine moving on. Had to happen sometime. Better this than dealing with him breaking down, sooner or later. Not the best-case scenario, obviously, but some of us, myself included, are kind of excited to see this transition. Hope I don't live to regret that, but I am.

"...the Pats could stand an uptick in their bedside manner in many of these negotiations..."

You are correct, sir.
Don't get me wrong; I do not wish to see the shameless *****-kissing that occurs in MLB and the NBA (one of the main reasons for the inferiority of those 2 leagues), but perhaps a more proactive approach, similar to the Bruins re: Zdeno Chara, might be in order.
Apropos of nothing, but does anyone suppose that the agents for Samuel, Koppen, Graham et.al. are waiting for the conclusion of l'affaire Branch before discussing extensions with the FO? I assume that these extensions, plus the Seymour $$, comprise the bulk of the >$12M cap space.

captain stone said:
"...the Pats could stand an uptick in their bedside manner in many of these negotiations..."

You are correct, sir.
Don't get me wrong; I do not wish to see the shameless *****-kissing that occurs in MLB and the NBA (one of the main reasons for the inferiority of those 2 leagues), but perhaps a more proactive approach, similar to the Bruins re: Zdeno Chara, might be in order.
Apropos of nothing, but does anyone suppose that the agents for Samuel, Koppen, Graham et.al. are waiting for the conclusion of l'affaire Branch before discussing extensions with the FO? I assume that these extensions, plus the Seymour $$, comprise the bulk of the >$12M cap space.
Those same agents may be counseling their clients to test the Free Agent market before re-signing with the Patriots (Neal, Stephen one each), based on Givens, Ashworth, McGinest, and Andruzzi, it would seem there is more money elsewhere, then the player must decide between a championship team or the money. God help them.

Do you expect any young player not to choose the money? The CBA has made lots and lots of money available.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Those same agents may be counseling their clients to test the Free Agent market before re-signing with the Patriots (Neal, Stephen one each), based on Givens, Ashworth, McGinest, and Andruzzi, it would seem there is more money elsewhere, then the player must decide between a championship team or the money. God help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back