PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Tuesday 11/14/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
The last question was a little more interesting and got a better answer from Bill. It was along the lines of "now that the playoffs are very unrealistic, how will you make decisions on who plays - will you lean towards playing guys who you might want to get some development from, more long-term prospects as opposed to veterans?"

Bill answered pretty sternly saying "I will play the players who DESERVE to play." He expounded on it a bit but repeated the "deserve" line a few times and said guys need to earn the right to be on the field. I thought that was interesting. It links into the Jack Jones situation, but might also tie into Mac's benching, among other players/positions.

So you're saying we'll see Mac playing again soon.
Gawd I hope not.

My guess is that it's Zappe thru at least the Steelers game. If he sucks, Grier gest a shot. Maybe. They could always go get some scrap heap FA QB too, but at that point, they will just screw themselves in the draft.

I think we've seen the last of Mac Jones.

The last question was a little more interesting and got a better answer from Bill. It was along the lines of "now that the playoffs are very unrealistic, how will you make decisions on who plays - will you lean towards playing guys who you might want to get some development from, more long-term prospects as opposed to veterans?"

Bill answered pretty sternly saying "I will play the players who DESERVE to play." He expounded on it a bit but repeated the "deserve" line a few times and said guys need to earn the right to be on the field. I thought that was interesting. It links into the Jack Jones situation, but might also tie into Mac's benching, among other players/positions.
Attitude and proneness to repeating errors have to figure strongly in BB's assessment of "deserve". We've already seen attitude calculations in action - Jackson, Brown, Ja Jones. Arguably error proneness in Mac.

Gawd I hope not.

My guess is that it's Zappe thru at least the Steelers game. If he sucks, Grier gest a shot. Maybe. They could always go get some scrap heap FA QB too, but at that point, they will just screw themselves in the draft.

I think we've seen the last of Mac Jones.
I have a sneaking suspicion they still think Mac gives them the best shot. And that's how bad the QB position has gotten this year.

I have a sneaking suspicion they still think Mac gives them the best shot. And that's how bad the QB position has gotten this year.
I 100% think it's between the ears. He's afraid of getting yelled at. BoB was barking at him, and he looked like a whipped dog. The last guy BoB yelled at yelled back. I don't see that fight in Mac.

Best shot at what? Losing ? Yes, I agree.

I 100% think it's between the ears. He's afraid of getting yelled at. BoB was barking at him, and he looked like a whipped dog. The last guy BoB yelled at yelled back. I don't see that fight in Mac.
Right. This year was the make it or break it year for Mac and Mac is clearly broken. But I don't think they think Zappe has the ability and if Grier had anything, I think we would have seen him ahead of Zappe already.

He is getting yelled at because he makes the same mistakes every game.

Well Zappe hasn’t lost a game in his career as a starter ;)
Sure, I could see them turning to Zappe or even Grier. I'd even like it. But the way that they continued to play Cam when it was clear he was cooked and we never got to see Stidham suggests to me that we're going to continue to see more of Mac.

Brady is right in his very politician-like answer about the Pats - It's everyone's fault.
It starts with BB of course. Personnel is the primary culprit, including coaching staff. BOB clearly hasn't been able to out-coach our weaknesses. Mac isn't good enough to make up for the offensive lacking. But there's massive offensive talent lacking. The D (largely due to injury) isn't elite enough to pitch shutouts every game. Special Teams has made continuous errors (a lot of coaching errors).
It's a complete failure - across the board. Which leaves us with the question - who is in charge of everyone?
You can't fire the owner, so in 31 other teams, the HC/GM would go - no question about it.

I've been looking forward to this week for a while now. Since this is an off week, I won't be all pissed off that the Patriots lost again.

Sure, I could see them turning to Zappe or even Grier. I'd even like it. But the way that they continued to play Cam when it was clear he was cooked and we never got to see Stidham suggests to me that we're going to continue to see more of Mac.
Cam was different. It was Cam and it was a reset year. He was bad but I think he was charismatic, a leader and was a huge positive presence in the locker room.

I think with Mac, it’s not just bad play. I think Bill and BOB are tired to have to tell the kid the same things week in and week out without improvement.

For all we know, because we don’t, and despite his limitations, it could be just a question of Zappe being more coachable and less of an error repeater.

Brady is right in his very politician-like answer about the Pats - It's everyone's fault.
It starts with BB of course. Personnel is the primary culprit, including coaching staff. BOB clearly hasn't been able to out-coach our weaknesses. Mac isn't good enough to make up for the offensive lacking. But there's massive offensive talent lacking. The D (largely due to injury) isn't elite enough to pitch shutouts every game. Special Teams has made continuous errors (a lot of coaching errors).
It's a complete failure - across the board. Which leaves us with the question - who is in charge of everyone?
You can't fire the owner, so in 31 other teams, the HC/GM would go - no question about it.
So devastated Tom is dealing with the Raiders issues and not ours.
Plus I would trust Tom to pick a QB or WR in the draft over Bill.

Cam was different. It was Cam and it was a reset year. He was bad but I think he was charismatic, a leader and was a huge positive presence in the locker room.

I think with Mac, it’s not just bad play. I think Bill and BOB are tired to have to tell the kid the same things week in and week out without improvement.

For all we know, because we don’t, and despite his limitations, it could be just a question of Zappe being more coachable and less of an error repeater.
Maybe, but the same locker room presence has been attributed by a lot of guys to Mac, too.

Again, I hope you're right, but I'm not sure with this coaching staff.

dont think he realizes how much money he cost himself

no one is going to give him more than a low end prove it type deal.. hes a 2nd year malcontent with legal troubles

Someone is going to give him a chance, but not with a monster contract... he's going to have to prove himself wherever he goes before anyone will offer him a high end deal. he's looking at a lot of 1 year prove it deals in his future

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back